!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelmaster/NGS decals  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
Re: Modelmaster/NGS decals
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »

It's all the manufacturers fault, putting their prices up on the RTR stuff, therefore people are having to do this thing called Modelling  ??? ??? Therefore the Cottage Industries are having to do more work, inconsiderate Manufacturers  ;D ;D

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. Or it could be Brexit's fault  ;) ;) ;)

Offline PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:51 pm »
I don't think for one moment that the "troll" comment applies to anyone on this forum who have in the main stuck to facts and reasoned comment, however there has been some absolute ill-informed vitriol elsewhere that does qualify. Elsewhere Modelmaster have been painted by some as the devil responsible for all the ills of the NGS, accused of grabbing "their" decals, being wholly responsible for the ruin of the Society Shop and a multitude of other sins against the sainted society.

Fact is Modelmaster is a 1-man business. Yes he did underestimate the shambolic state of the stock he was taking on from the NGS; Yes communication standards may have slipped (he admits below the standards he wants to maintain) BUT...

1. he has to choose how to use his time. answering 1 e-mail might take 20 minutes. In that time he could instead pack 4 or 5 orders, or sort-out 100 or so items of the returned ex NGS Shop stock. What he can't do is all three at once.
2. from what has been said, 2mm scale orders are taking longer to process than others due to additional checks because the ex NGS stock can't be trusted to be what it says on the packet. He could cut out those checks but at the risk you would be sent the right packet containing the wrong item. What would you prefer??

Undoubtedly the present situation is less than ideal, but the root cause seems to me to be the additional workload taken on as an indirect result of the maladministration of the Society Shop.
We are where we are, and the only real way out is patience and time...

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:00 pm »
PLD it seems you are Model master spokesperson at this moment in time and clearly very close friend or associate of the aforementioned company. So if the bad press he is receiving from his basic ignorance to all that is wrong with 2mm ONLY why not go give him a hand?

Patience is all he had had over the last 6 months and clearly expects more. 1 man bands are all over this country I can't dither around on any of my communication for 6 months id never make or receive any money. Unless he's had 14 million nameplates returned from the NGS shop I can't see how hard it is to catalogue and count everything. If im not mistaken HE produced them for the NGS so would have knowledge as to what he was getting back.

Absolute shambles of a situation and hiding behind a lame excuse of lack of time to sort it is a joke!!

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:01 pm »
PLD it seems you are Model master spokesperson at this moment in time and clearly very close friend or associate of the aforementioned company. So if the bad press he is receiving from his basic ignorance to all that is wrong with 2mm ONLY why not go give him a hand?

Patience is all he had had over the last 6 months and clearly expects more. 1 man bands are all over this country I can't dither around on any of my communication for 6 months id never make or receive any money. Unless he's had 14 million nameplates returned from the NGS shop I can't see how hard it is to catalogue and count everything. If im not mistaken HE produced them for the NGS so would have knowledge as to what he was getting back.

Absolute shambles of a situation and hiding behind a lame excuse of lack of time to sort it is a joke!!

Wow. This is out of order. Seriously.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:46 pm »
So is
1, taking people's money off them
2, taking 6 months over basically nothing
3, not replying to questions about where orders are
4, blaming everyone for sending an email
5, calling customers "Trolls" for emailing you
6, announcing retirement
7, a week later withdrawing retirement threat
8, withdrawing 2mm stock from website

Not out of order??

Clearly if that's the way to run a business I have made some serious mistakes.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »
PLD it seems you are Model master spokesperson at this moment in time and clearly very close friend or associate of the aforementioned company.
No personal direct connection other than as a very satisfied past & likely future customer; but I do know someone with more regular contact in relation to another part of the business so have had some third hand reports of the situation...

HE produced them for the NGS so would have knowledge as to what he was getting back.
He did indeed, but as I understand it the NGS Shop in their infinite wisdom renumbered the stock in their own system so a packet labelled "AB1234" could contain whatever AB1234 originally was in the Modelmaster numbering or it could be whatever was AB1234 in the NGS numbering system which could be something completely different!

Absolute shambles of a situation...
... is a perfect description of the NGS Shop in the last few years...

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:45 pm »

Hello all,

Exmouthcraig's last comment has been removed as no one was prosecuted and therefore the description he used was libellous, and in my view unnecessary.

I understand the decals situation has some people vexed, but please let's retain a sense of perspective.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 09:35:25 pm »

I understand the decals situation has some people vexed, but please let's retain a sense of perspective.

I totally agree with Ben. I'm not involved at all in the Modelmaster/NGs situation but am quite shocked by some of the mud slinging I've read tonight in this thread. It strikes me PLD summed things up in his reply #121 perfectly well and though we allow folks to vent their spleen to a certain extent there are limits.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2018, 12:38:03 am »
As a customer with one outstanding item (still), I haven't been impressed with Modelmaster's approach in the last few days, but how to move forward, rather than bitch too much more?

To say something hopefully constructive (hopefully) for Modelmaster if they are reading - the ways I'd sort this out would be:

1. Stop selling anything that's not in stock. IMMEDIATELY! If you don't know it's definitely in stock then don't list it - get it pulled from the website NOW. For the N gauge stock it seems likely that means all N is pulled for now.
2. Sort out outstanding (over a month say?) orders with an absolute top priority - either fulfill them, or refund them - and if that means stopping accepting any new orders in the interim, then do that.
3. Stop sending out discount emails until 2. is definitely accomplished as they just wind up customers who have not received orders more.
4. Once 1-3 are sorted, and the slate is then clean, then start to sort out the NGS stock and N gauge stock in general.
5. Only when catalogued, organised and clear knowledge of what is definitely there and sellable should these products then be opened back up for sale.
6. Indication that an item will take longer than say, 28 days, to arrive should be made absolutely clear before online or phone orders can be placed, although ideally with the above measures implemented, that should happen far less.
7. Accept that the majority of contact in the modern world is made electronically by email - like it or not, it's just the way it is. Other one man bands (BR Lines seems a good example) seem to manage, so it's just getting used to a more efficient workflow to deal with them.

I think that's the only path to regain credibility given the damage that has clearly been done - throwing the toys out the pram with threats to pull the plug on the whole business (quite obviously precipitated by this whole NGS situation) has somewhat backfired and only made irritated but patient customers increasingly irate that they won't ever get what they are long overdue. Certainly that was my second thought on reading the email - that a tenner lost and a Castle needing a new source of plates...... (my first thought was *SIGH*!).

I don't think anyone minds if the sorting and re-listing of the NGS stock takes time, and that it's a one man band so doing this is a fair task - that's fine as long as it's not being listed for sale concurrently, which seems part of the reason this mess has spiralled. Moreover, if the backlog of missing and outstanding orders was priority cleared, it's likely the email traffic will reduce from folks asking for the umpteenth time where their N gauge Castle nameplates are - a win-win situation I'd have thought!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:57 am »
4. Once 1-3 are sorted, and the slate is then clean, then start to sort out the NGS stock and N gauge stock in general.

I think it's assumed that the N gauge problem was caused by the NGS shop renumbering Modelmaster products so could the NGS organise a volunteer team to help sort the mess out?

I'd help but the south west of Scotland is a long way to go to help sort things for an evening here and there.

Obviously I don't know the scale of the problem but even just making an offer to Modelmaster might be appreciated, don't ask don't find out etc.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2018, 08:39:41 am »
All the blame seems to be want to be laid at the NGS door for shrinking the shop which seems to be totally 1 sided.

Yes, issues arose we know that but presumably the NGS didn't just pick all the Modelmaster stock they had and dump it at Modelmaster door and say "yeah their in a bit of a mess but sort it" im sure the task was probably underestimated but hiding from the problem isn't solving it.

Technically as the NGS shop as we knew it doesn't exist anymore SO no blame can be left with them, whoever agreed to take the stock on and to sort it out to continue selling it for their own gain had to take responsibility and if the task is too great give up.

It would seem that orders placed are all but lost and clearly this company needs my money more then I need their nameplates so if I ever get them ill obviously be happy. Till then I've accepted that I've just given my 40 to a worthless charity case and will never see the improvements my token gesture has made to them.

Rant over. Last post on the situation, I won't allow myself to be kicked off the forum for flared tempered statements.

The new diplomatic Craig

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:01 am »
Thank you Craig for the post and I hope this quietens this thread down a little and we all stop blaming people who can't defend themselves. 

Online koyli55002

• N Gauge Society Number: 5508
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2018, 09:15:14 am »
From Modelmaster home page.....note the last sentence ?

UPDATE 8th February 2018
The range of brand new 'Warship' class nameplates have now arrived and are being listed, along with the 'Western' Class nameplates to the same high standards.  It will take a few days to list them, but in the meantime if you wish to purchase any which aren't listed in either Black or Red, you can order by 'phone at 01292 289770 during business hours from Monday 12th February.  Other plates will be listed very soon along with decals.  All back orders will be resolved before the end of the month.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2018, 10:23:44 am »
Fact is Modelmaster is a 1-man business. Yes he did underestimate the shambolic state of the stock he was taking on from the NGS; Yes communication standards may have slipped (he admits below the standards he wants to maintain) BUT...

1. he has to choose how to use his time. answering 1 e-mail might take 20 minutes. In that time he could instead pack 4 or 5 orders, or sort-out 100 or so items of the returned ex NGS Shop stock. What he can't do is all three at once.
2. from what has been said, 2mm scale orders are taking longer to process than others due to additional checks because the ex NGS stock can't be trusted to be what it says on the packet. He could cut out those checks but at the risk you would be sent the right packet containing the wrong item. What would you prefer??

Undoubtedly the present situation is less than ideal, but the root cause seems to me to be the additional workload taken on as an indirect result of the maladministration of the Society Shop.

Paul

You appear to have an axe to grind with the NGS which is regretful, however some of the points that you are posting as gospel are not the exact truth.

I'm not sure where this statement has come from that the stock was in a shambolic state when returned to Jim - having seen the state of the stock just prior to it being given to Jim that is categorically not the case.  Huge amounts of effort had been put into getting things in some sort of order.

I don't know whether things had been given a different code, though having done re-coding exercises professionally it is not rocket science to have a translation list.

It would probably be helpful if the NGS Committee made a statement on their side of things - there were certain commitments made by Modelmaster that do not appear to have been maintained, but I suspect they are very reluctant to do so as they want the situation with Model Masters to be resolved (and not to break down).

Cheers, Mike

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2018, 11:36:07 am »
I think a statement from the committee would be both welcome and helpful.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything