Modelmaster/NGS decals

Started by trkilliman, October 13, 2017, 01:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I've more or less given up on ever seeing my order or getting a response to my emails. I think it would be good business practice for Modelmaster to state somewhere on their website that some orders are taking a long time to process.

PaulCheffus

Hi

At least you can order the ones you want. I'm still waiting for the ones I require to appear on the website. Back in April I was told it would be a few weeks, well its now nearly December and they still haven't appeared.

I've given up and managed to get what I require by other means and I won't bother with them in future.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

trkilliman

I sent them an email several days back but have heard nothing.

I am interested in some bus fleetnames as we used to buy from the NGS shop. IIRC we used to get two different fleetnames and 3 pairs of each in a packet from the shop. The Modelmaster website appears to show them as a pair of fleetnames, and at a price I would be loathe to pay for a single pair, even with our discount. I'd like them but they are not a must have.  It does say somewhere on their website that where decals appear either side of a loco etc they are sold in pairs.

What I want to establish is if we are now getting a single pair of bus fleetname decals. Some of their website is still under construction or awaiting photos, so I have asked them direct. I think it's a fair question to ask so their is no misunderstanding when placing an order. If I get a reply I'll let others on here know their answer

red_death

Folks

I suggest people post complaints about this on the NGS groups.io list (or email the NGS Committee: committee@ngaugesoc.... etc)that way the relevant people are more likely to see it.

I think it is important that people tell the right people what is (not) happening. I will try to raise it but life is a bit tricky at the moment with house moves and it is always better to hear first hand experiences.

Cheers, Mike

woodbury22uk

Quote from: trkilliman on November 23, 2017, 12:56:26 PM

I am interested in some bus fleetnames as we used to buy from the NGS shop. IIRC we used to get two different fleetnames and 3 pairs of each in a packet from the shop. The Modelmaster website appears to show them as a pair of fleetnames, and at a price I would be loathe to pay for a single pair, even with our discount. I'd like them but they are not a must have.  It does say somewhere on their website that where decals appear either side of a loco etc they are sold in pairs.

What I want to establish is if we are now getting a single pair of bus fleetname decals. Some of their website is still under construction or awaiting photos, so I have asked them direct. I think it's a fair question to ask so their is no misunderstanding when placing an order. If I get a reply I'll let others on here know their answer

There is nothing on the website to suggest that bus fleetnames are not sold in pairs. A non-NGS buyer would have no knowledge of previous practice, so only the expectation of a pair which is what is stated clearly on the website.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

trkilliman

Quote from: woodbury22uk on November 24, 2017, 11:07:27 AM
Quote from: trkilliman on November 23, 2017, 12:56:26 PM

There is nothing on the website to suggest that bus fleetnames are not sold in pairs. A non-NGS buyer would have no knowledge of previous practice, so only the expectation of a pair which is what is stated clearly on the website.

woodbury22uk,

Yes a non-NGS member would have no previous knowledge of what used to be, so would only expect a pair of bus fleetnames. However, for those of us who have been NGS members for some years, I'm fairly certain that when the decals were in the hands of the NGS you would receive e.g 3 pairs of Royal Blue and 3 pairs of Southdown.
I am merely trying to establish IF handing back the "huge stocks" of decals that were in our shop has resulted in what appears to a considerable price hike. This is the way it seems, so I have asked the question of Modelmaster themselves. I await a reply.

I would just like some clarification of what I would now get for my money now (our) stock has been either given/sold back to the manufacturers... Modelmaster. Once the situation regarding decals becomes clearer NGS members will be able to make their own minds up as to whether they feel we have lost one of our membership benefits. Unless I am wrong it certainly looks this way to me. What I will say is that yesterday 2 other long term NGS members came to my home for a get-together. All three of us are now beginning to consider our renewals when they occur.

carlwooduk

WARNING ABOUT ORDERING WITH M J E.
`I am concerned about the service being provided by M J E. having placed and paid in full for an order for " in stock " items on 10 oct and numerous phone calls assuring me part of my order would be posted immediately / rest to follow within 10 days nothing has been delivered.
2 emails requesting my order to be cancelled and refund- no reply.

2 phone calls this week - phone rings  & rings then voicemail states this mail box if full - goodbye!

I have emailed N Gauge soceity Committe memeber but was underwhelmed by their reply; they did comment they had hear rumblings.
Wish I had stuck with Fox.
Fellow modellers i would counsel against ordering anything with MJE. Lets hope the  Soceity can influence or dis-associates itself with Jim at MJE.
:veryangry:

Regretably , i am going to write off my £40 paid by Debit card and place an order with Fox transfers who by comparission care about their customers.

Jerry Howlett

I was also disappointed with the response from them.

I tried to register as an NGS member but no response and when I tried an order it came out as full price :(

In addition his postage charge is £3:85 that's a hell of a lot more than the old NGS charge for transfers.

I found my transfers 21Ton Minerals on the Railtec site and they were very quick in responding to emails and the order arrived here in Italy within 5 days 2 of which we have no post!  Steve will consider also making any transfers if he has the details or you can supply them.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

silly moo

I keep getting emails from them advertising things I don't want or need. That seems a bit pointless as he doesn't seem to be able to fulfill the existing orders! What I would like is a response to my query and my nameplates!

I did think he might be ill but if that is the case it would be easy to leave a message to that effect on the answering machine or website.

>:(

trkilliman

Sadly it appears that the transfer of stock for them to has not been the best of moves. I have yet to get a reply to my question relating to bus company fleetnames.

I fully understand the reasons for disposing of the copious levels of NGS shop stock. Not so sure on the decals though.

The Modelmaster decals along with the society kits have always been a contributing factor to my continued membership of the NGS. I wonder how many feel the same as me on this point?

It was said that there were huge stocks of decals. These must surely have been accrued over a long period of time using society funds. I do question what sort of agreement was reached with Modelmaster on our behalf, given the problems NGS members are experiencing? There also appears to be a price hike on the decals, many of which were likely purchased by the NGS some while back.

My remarks may rankle a few, but this is not intentional. I think we need an assessment/explanation of just what has materialised from putting them back with the manufacturer.

carlwooduk

Likewise, when i placed my order I was unable to secure the members discount. I  had  pre-registered that I was a N gauge society member as per Society instructions. When I spoke to Jim at M J E he admitted he had no way of getting the discount process  to work with his website and N G S knew this, all he could do was offer a % refund or credit note.  Clearly at odds with NGS shop website.

Another comment  from Jim that struck me as odd was  the  Plates / transfer stock had been handed over in a mess and some items were of degraded quality. Recognising  this additional work he secured a financial settlement; maybe  to offset part of what he paid NGS for stock.

PaulinSouthMidlands

I gave up waiting for the coach transfers to appear and ordered some custom transfers from Precision Labels.

http://www.precisionlabels.com

An entire sheet of A4 decal covered in carriage numbers set numbers etc. cost £25 and arrived virtually by return of post.

The catch is that you have to do your own artwork, which took a while but was well worth it.

Attached is the result

NeMo

Quote from: PaulinSouthMidlands on December 22, 2017, 07:12:20 PM
I gave up waiting for the coach transfers to appear and ordered some custom transfers from Precision Labels.

Agreed, John Peck at PrecisionLabels is extremely responsive and his products are very good value. Whenever I've asked for such-and-such a number to redo a loco, he's been generous with the 'spares' on the sheet -- essential for me because I'm so ham-fisted at doing transfers it takes half a dozen goes to get everything just right!  :'(

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

silly moo

It seems as though I have made £10 donation to Modelmaster as yet another email requesting a delivery date for my nameplates has gone unanswered.

I'll have to chalk this one up to experience and vow never to do business with them again. I have been ordering from companies in the UK for over twenty years and this is the first time I have ever encountered such non-existent service and total lack of communication.

I realise that something serious could have happened to the proprietor but if that was the case he could have got word out to his customers somehow.

If I lived in the UK I would get onto the phone to them but living thousands of miles away would make a phone call a costly exercise.

If any forum members have heard anything please let me know.

middlefour

I think the N Gauge Society has done it's members a great disservice handing all the transfers back to Modelmaster. The web site is a mess, emails go unanswered. I thinks it is time for somebody in the NGS to look into what is going on. I will be using Fox from now on.
Steve

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations