!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: EMU/DMU bogies (Kickstarter)  (Read 1607 times)

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
EMU/DMU bogies (Kickstarter)
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:36:44 pm »
As some of you are aware, I have made an attempt to create a motorised chassis for use with EMU/DMU kits.

The road has been a rocky one. I have had manufacturers agree to supply me gear sets, only to change their mind. Or selling components only are of no interest whatsoever.

I am currently in a bad place, health wise and have had to give up work, so I no longer have an income to throw at development.

I have decided to try and aim lower and looking at asking for help in financing some prototypes for a bogie kit. The idea will be something which will be easy to clip together and I will want to test the design in various guises to suit 18m, 20m, 23m and 26m chassis.

I will shortly release a Kickstarter campaign into the wild in an attempt to raise sufficient funds.

There will not be a specific reward from this campaign, which is to take designs through to working prototypes.

For those of you, who have bought my own range of wheels, I am looking at getting a set of components custom made by the same company. So I am confident in the quality of these.

I will use 3D printing to produce any other parts to make up test chassis.

If successful, I will then be looking at how best to market a kit of these geared bogies.

KICKSTARTER LINK

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/241196867/n-gauge-bogie-for-emu-dmu-kits
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:39:27 am by Only Me »

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: EMU/DMU bogies (Kickstarter soon)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:11 pm »
Hi

With the demise of the TPM chassis I am looking for something else so may be interested. Do you have any further details of your proposal?

Cheers

Paul

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:27 pm »
Initially, the idea is to prove that a kit of parts is viable.

Once I have that worked through, I can look at how best to market things and how much the kits would cost.

I have an idea of the ongoing cost of the main components, but the bogie housing needs to be capable of 3D printing production, or injection moulding if things manage to go far enough.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:34 pm »
The idea will be something which will be easy to clip together and I will want to test the design in various guises to suit 18m, 20m, 23m and 26m chassis.

Would it be possible to have an 'open' chassis which could be cut to length and bogies which could slide along the chassis until in place and then strengthening bars glued across the motorised chassis when all is in place? There's bound to be something wrong with that idea so feel free to shoot it down.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:01 pm »
The idea, at the moment, is to have bogies available to match with anything that can be cobbled together.

Having said that, I will be developing several different options to go with it.

A simple design would be for a single driven bogie and an undriven on an extendible body half.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: EMU/DMU bogies (Kickstarter)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:51 am »
I have supported this because I believe it is a potentially fruitful avenue not just for UK N gauge but for N in general. Borrowing an idea from a Faller Car System wizard,  I have looked at a similar modular approach for motorised road vehicles (in 1/76) where the wheelbase of a two axle chassis can be adjusted by having the steering mounted on a threaded shaft which can be wound in and out. The threaded shaft makes a slender link between the front and back parts of the chassis. Must have been workable principle as Faller have now adopted a sliding steering mount for their H0 scale range, and of course Tomytec in N have two chassis with adjustable wheelbases.

https://www.faller.de/App/WebObjects/XSeMIPS.woa/cms/page/pid.14.17.109/agid.1139/atid.14976/ecm.at/Car-System-Chassis-kit.html

Good luck to Bob with his Kickstarter.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:11:23 am by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association FranÁaise des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:17 am »
Unless I'm misreading your Kickstarter campaign you're not actually offering the bogies as a 'reward' for backers?

You're either just asking for cash, or £20 for some of your wheels?

May I suggest that you have a level of pledge which actually results in the product you are raising funding for? By all means leave the others there, but you're sort of using Kickstarter as a marketplace for your existing wares, which is a bit unusual.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »
My campaign is for the purpose of producing working prototypes of a possible product.

The rewards are basically a means of saying thank you for helping to make these prototypes possible.

If I was to have a campaign which was to produce an actual product as the reward, it would be for many thousands of pounds.

I am trying to prove it is possible to have an easy to put together geared bogie. Which does not require a high degree dexterity for assembly.

If people have the skill, then get hold of the build manual from the 2mm SA and good luck. I believe most people would prefer an easier solution and I am trying to prove it is possible.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »
Many thanks to people who have pledged support. 15% funded it says.

I am in the process of drawing up a test chassis floor, to go with the bogie design.

I will be able to test the fit visually in CAD, before getting some test bits 3D printed.

However, there are a couple of other projects that will be worked on , one of which has been ongoing for quite some time. I am waiting for some test bits to arrive from Shapeways so I can go onto the next stage of that project.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:57 pm »
Iím very happy to be proven wrong, and Iím sure youíve done your due diligence,  but I think that may be in breach of Kickstarterís terms. Would hate for you to succeed, only to find they donít release the funds to you.

IndieGogo may be a better platform, accepting you already have pledges.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:01 pm »
They have gone through a multi stage approval. ie I had to 'correct' several issues before it was approved.

There are many campaign raised that are for development costs and there is no reward whatsoever. I am being very open with this and would not expect anyone to part with money they are not comfortable doing.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:14:55 pm »
Brilliant, as you were, like I said, would be a crying shame for this to fall at a late stage. I wish you all the best with it, an interesting project for sure.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:24 pm »

Hi Bob,

I would like you to succeed, but with the best will in the world I think you're going to struggle if you aren't offering any reward at all.

Since the kickstarter backers - if it comes off - will have helped you develop this new product perhaps a discount off any actual products would be a suitable reward?

Good luck in any event.

Cheers

Ben A.

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 08:29:40 pm »
I have to admit, Ben, that the thought of discounts on the next stage has been in my mind.

Of course, it may not happen. But if you don't try, you never will succeed.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here