Cloning software (preferably free)

Started by Dorsetmike, September 10, 2017, 04:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

The 64Gb SSD I fitted a few months ago is getting near full, I've just bought a 240Gb and rather than go through the "reinstall everything" nausea, thought it might be easier to do a clone job, any recommendations for which clone software to use, had a quick look at Clonezilla is that a fairly simple one to use? Should the authentication still be valid (i.e. "Genuine Windows")

I'll be using the 64Gb one in a netbook, presume a different authentication code will be needed for that one.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Malc

You could try Acronis True Image. The free version will clone like for like, but the paid one will expand to fit the size of the destination disk.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

MJKERR

The main issue is that most installed software is written into the Registry
It would therefore be easier just to copy the entire hard drive
Equally, you could use the Windows Recovery software
A full restore takes about 4 hours

mickster04

That and windows will presumably have system information (how big the disk is etc) written to the disk, I am referring to the HAL (hardware extraction layer?). Windows will know it's been cloned and presumably will throw a bit of a hissy. and if you're just cloning your installed software, the issue with the registry will of course be a problem, whereby windows won't have a record of your installed software and so it'll just be as hard to get it all set up with shortcuts etc than if you installed from fresh.

TLDR; windows isn't easy to migrate installed things. you might be better just re-installing and migrating saved files/user data across

Malc

Quote from: mickster04 on September 10, 2017, 11:12:44 PM
That and windows will presumably have system information (how big the disk is etc) written to the disk, I am referring to the HAL (hardware extraction layer?). Windows will know it's been cloned and presumably will throw a bit of a hissy. and if you're just cloning your installed software, the issue with the registry will of course be a problem, whereby windows won't have a record of your installed software and so it'll just be as hard to get it all set up with shortcuts etc than if you installed from fresh.

TLDR; windows isn't easy to migrate installed things. you might be better just re-installing and migrating saved files/user data across
If you use something like Acronis, it writes the new disc size to the relevant places and windows doesn't know it's been cloned. I've upsized discs on laptops and desktops several times. It just takes a while with the larger drives we have now.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

davidinyork

I don't do it that often, but I've never had any trouble with Windows activation in this sort of situation. Generally used Acronis trueimage.

It will clone all data on the disc, so you won't have a problem with things like missing registry settings - they will all be there. If it doesn't automatically resize the partition to fit the new disc, you can easily do that using the built-in Windows disk management tool.

Only situation where problems are likely is if you change a load of other components at the same time - it may not like that and fail to activate.

Steven B

CloneZilla is worth looking at (and free!).

Steven B.

Dorsetmike

Tried the EaseUS Todo, made a back up OK but not clone (clone option was greyed out on the free version) so after a further Google tried Macrium Reflect free edition, that worked, so this machine now has some space on the SSD; the smaller SSD from this machine got put into a Packard Bell Dot SE netbook, still have to finish that job.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dalek

What version of windows ?
If its windows 10 use Acronis True Image then once you are up and running ok just extend the partition on the new drive drive using disk management within the operating system.

Craig

Dorsetmike

Win 7 pro 64 bit, Macrium Reflect free did the job fine.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

mickster04

Excellent news. Mods might wanna lock this thread for future viewers

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations