Evercreech Junction Etches

Started by CarriageShed, July 12, 2017, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

In my madness I've decided to model Evercreech Junction on my never-finished layout:

Having amassed a collection of photos of the station, I've found that the windows and doors on the station buildings seem to be pretty unique. I wasn't able to find anyone selling anything that really matched up to them, so I've approached the nice Paul at Peedie Models to see about producing a custom set of etched windows and possibly doors and other items.

Paul's thinking along the lines of producing these as an Evercreech 'pack', so it would help the development and potential costs if anyone else who may be interested could say so here. Is there anyone else who'd need the unusual windows, possibly doors, at least one half-size window, and maybe other items, in N Gauge?

PS: If anyone knows of any N Gauge version of the little 'shed' on the platform (seen below, next to the white fence) then it would save having to scratch-build it. There's another one of the things on the opposite platform, so I need two of 'em.

CarriageShed

Hmm.. strange that the Flickr photo doesn't show up for you. It's just a web link, and I can see it here. If they were blocking the photo from being linked to other sites then it should be missing for me too. But your photo is just as good for showing up those unusual window frames.

The station master's front door could be served by one of the existing Peedie doors, but if anyone else wants 100% accuracy then a new version would have to be added to the pack. There's another identical door on the side of the building (out of sight here), just behind the footbridge steps, and the waiting room door (the furthest of the three buildings) may have another one.

Dorsetmike

The shed looks very similar to the resin cast ones done by Peedie

That one is 6'x8' but it's difficult to figure the size of those at Evercreech from the photos, maybe close enough, depends, if you're counting rivets ... ... ...

Suggestion for the other buildings would be to use Slaters stone embossed plasticard, the colour is not accurate but I've mixed some enulsion Dove grey & Pebble "match pots" to match Purbeck stone applied with a 4" mini paint roller, you may need a different colour mix but you can see the detail effect on the end of this terrace

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Carmont

Quote from: Only Me on July 12, 2017, 10:43:33 AM
adjusted your smaller picture size, unfortunately I cant see the flicker link?

So heres one from the web, I see what you mean now about the windows..

Help a non-observant thicky out here, what's unusual about the windows?

EDIT: Ah, the layout of the internal framing? Interesting indeed!

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 12, 2017, 12:18:04 PM

That one is 6'x8' but it's difficult to figure the size of those at Evercreech from the photos, maybe close enough, depends, if you're counting rivets ... ... ...

Good spot, Mike. Even though I've already leafed through the website, I missed the shed. It needs a replacement roof, or perhaps just paper roof slates laid over the resin, and I'd probably replace the roof ridge with coping tiles, but other than that it should fit the bill. What's more they come in twos...

I'm definitely not counting rivets, just trying to get an authentic feel. I don't have the space, time, or budget for absolute accuracy.

Suggestion for the other buildings would be to use Slaters stone embossed plasticard...

I've been planning to use Scalescenes Aged Grey Brick (TX09) for the stonework. It seems to be pretty close. If painting embossed plasticard then Humbrol's plain grey (the undercoat colour) would seem right, with suitable weathering added.

Quote from: Carmont on July 12, 2017, 12:21:45 PM

Yep. The more you look, the more detail you see. Most sash-type windows have a centre frame, not the two off-centre ones on these windows.

The trouble is, once you know these details, you can't un-know them and produce something more generic. You simply have to go ahead and include that detail.  :worried:

Carmont

Quote from: CarriageShed on July 12, 2017, 01:02:56 PM

Good spot, Mike. Even though I've already leafed through the website, I missed the shed. It needs a replacement roof, or perhaps just paper roof slates laid over the resin, and I'd probably replace the roof ridge with coping tiles, but other than that it should fit the bill. What's more they come in twos...

I'm definitely not counting rivets, just trying to get an authentic feel. I don't have the space, time, or budget for absolute accuracy.

Suggestion for the other buildings would be to use Slaters stone embossed plasticard...

I've been planning to use Scalescenes Aged Grey Brick (TX09) for the stonework. It seems to be pretty close. If painting embossed plasticard then Humbrol's plain grey (the undercoat colour) would seem right, with suitable weathering added.

Quote from: Carmont on July 12, 2017, 12:21:45 PM

Yep. The more you look, the more detail you see. Most sash-type windows have a centre frame, not the two off-centre ones on these windows.

The trouble is, once you know these details, you can't un-know them and produce something more generic. You simply have to go ahead and include that detail.  :worried:

Would it be an option to use clear perspex in a window frame etch that has no internal framework, and "line" the required internal framework with appropriate coloured ink? It may create the impression you are after.

Dorsetmike

QuoteWould it be an option to use clear perspex in a window frame etch that has no internal framework, and "line" the required internal framework with appropriate coloured ink? It may create the impression you are after.

I've used that method on clear acetate sheet (OHP transparency or bits from some blister packs. Paint markers do the job, various width lines available, (Amazon, Ebay etc), for N window frames use the finest line, I've also used them to colour Etched doors and window frames.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=paint+markers&sprefix=paint+marker%2Caps%2C404&crid=UKS9AHOAPGQ8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apaint+markers
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

I see Paul Tyer/Peedie models mentions the Evercreech etch as "under development" in his current newsletter.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 15, 2017, 10:44:33 AM
I see Paul Tyer/Peedie models mentions the Evercreech etch as "under development" in his current newsletter.

Ah, does he? Well there's still quite a bit of research to do. We've only covered the buildings on the Bournemouth West side (the station master's house, etc). We still need to take a look at the wooden buildings on the other side, and perhaps even the signal box and water tower. In for a penny...

CarriageShed

Update: the 'Evercreech Junction Pack' has been completed and should now be available for sale through the Peedie Models site as PMPE33095. I have to say that they look superb. Now I just have to produce some scratchbuilt buildings to match the quality (I also bought two of the sheds for use as the EJ platform huts).

If you want to produce a building of your own with some unusual windows then this set would be worth having.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations