!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: RevolutioN / Farish Class 91+Mk4 new liveries  (Read 1000 times)

Offline ECMLfan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
RevolutioN / Farish Class 91+Mk4 new liveries
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:41:18 am »
I love the RevolutioN concept of gaining a certain amount of orders and securing a sound investment to produce a new model. But what about models that have been made previously by one of the larger manufacturers but are increasingly hard to find, let alone haven't seen any new reinstatement or liveries updates in years?

Graham Farish has ceized production of the Class 91 and Mk4 set a while ago and these trains are increasingly hard to find. Yet, I'm confident that Farish still has the molds/CAD drawings.

Wouldn't it be an idea to team up via RevoltioN, crowd fund new deliveries of this "old" model and secure the possibility to also introduce new liveries.

For example:
- National Express white stripe in GNER blue
- National Express White
- EastCoast in GNER bleu
- EastCoast grey
- Skyfall set
- Flying Scotsman set
- Sky TV set
- VTEC red and white set

I think it will be an easy project when using the old models of Farish. It could however also be done using completely new models and manufacturing via Rapido but this will of course increase the price a fair bit.
 :thankyousign:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:47:19 am by ECMLfan »

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: RevolutioN / Farish Class 91+Mk4 new liveries
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:46 am »
 :hellosign:
For me , especially , DCC ready.

Cheers
Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:39:15 pm »

Hello ECML fan,

The Farish Mk4/Class 91 toolings are from the Poole Farish era, and predate the use of CAD design.  The locomotives and DVTs lack the refinements expected nowadays such as working lights, while the coaches are moulded as clear plastic bodyshells with the sides printed on.  This method of production is not popular with the Chinese factories as registration of the separate paint layers has to be exceptionally accurate.

The most realistic scenario is for Farish themselves to upgrade/retool this model though given the backlog of models already announced this would still be a few years away.

Bachman have said on many occasions that they will only work with established retailers with a sales outlet that customers can visit.  They are very clear that they want to support the retail trade, and see small private commissions as having the potential to undermine that.  So they would be unlikely to work with a crowdfunding group IMO.

The other option as you identified is an all-new model with a new supplier.

But the risk here is that Farish could rush-release their version and kill the project.

Anyone proposing a crowd-funded IC 225 set - and anyone considering backing such a proposal - would need to bear this risk in mind.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:24:13 pm »
I'd welcome a manufacturer / crowd funder who would re-tool a 225 set for us poor ECML modellers. Now would seem to be the time to do it as well considering the livery announcements for the Dapol Mk3 sets.

Have to agree that you couldn't just re-livery the original models, they would be so outdated now I don't think they would sell.

In the current market though, after the announcement from Dapol about Projects, I could only see something like this being progressed via a crowd fund project. Using the RevolutioN or DJ Models current approach to market, would it matter if the BachFar giant woke up? The minimum order quantities for production would presumably be assured with deposits and staged payments taken in line with project progress.

The only downside I can see is that these sets have been in a fair few liveries, getting over the production numbers needed might be easy, but X in livery Y might be a problem. I would definitely go for GNER and VTEC and if the Intercity livery was offered that too.

Should be easy to produce a 90 based on the 91 chassis too, or to look at it another way, if a 90 is done, then the 225 sets become more viable.

Cheers, Mark.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:17:45 pm by Vonzack »

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:41:23 pm »
And of course with the Bachmann OO gauge 90 on the cards it's a brave company that would have a go at an N gauge one.

That said... [hint]I'd have half a dozen 90s I imagine Ben if you fancied it[/hint]. In the mean time I'll stick with my Farish ones!

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 03:51:28 pm »
Have Farish abandoned use of all the Poole-era toolings completely now? Looking at the list of current and forthcoming releases on their website, everything is DCC-ready apart from the 03 and 08 shunters (but both are recent toolings), and the 170s which I think are post-takeover by Bachmann although pre-DCC?

Of course many of the models have been superseded by new ones from either Bachmann or Dapol, but there are still some which haven't - the 91s / Mk4s, 90s, and 50s immediately spring to mind.

Offline carderrail

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »
I am sure Farish announced (may be in their Club Magazine around five/six years ago) that they were going to produce the 91/Mk4s in East Coast Livery...

I haven't managed to track down the article so it may be my imagination!

Unfortunatley the old Farish 91/Mk4s/DVT are not up to modern standards and like the Class 158 would need a complete upgrade - I suspect the 158 may be more likely.

Regards

Tony

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
Unfortunatley the old Farish 91/Mk4s/DVT are not up to modern standards and like the Class 158 would need a complete upgrade - I suspect the 158 may be more likely.

They are working on a new 00 gauge 158, so quite likely that at some point it will make it into N.

If it does, then the 170 is also fairly likely as they can use the same chassis.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything