!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 23678 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #780 on: February 08, 2018, 10:50:59 pm »
 :hellosign: Excellent photo Martin, D1038 does indeed look splendid
      regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #781 on: February 09, 2018, 07:35:46 am »
Very smart  :thankyousign:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #782 on: February 09, 2018, 03:09:08 pm »
Hi Martin, an interesting train for you to model: "the 3-coach Truro/Newquay [/Wadebridge] set, a B Set + [Collett] corridor coach provided so that the guard could collect the fares of passengers boarding at the unstaffed halts".

An excuse to run your 94xx to / from Port Perran? "the 84XX 0-6-0's were very common on passenger trains on the Falmouth branch, The two that I remember well were 8421 and 9434."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:23:32 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #783 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:09 pm »
Hi Martin, an interesting train for you to model: "the 3-coach Truro/Newquay [/Wadebridge] set, a B Set + [Collett] corridor coach provided so that the guard could collect the fares of passengers boarding at the unstaffed halts".
An excuse to run your 94xx to / from Port Perran? "the 84XX 0-6-0's were very common on passenger trains on the Falmouth branch, The two that I remember well were 8421 and 9434."

Something like this ?
A 94xx arriving at a busy Port Perran with the 11.25 Truro to Newquay (formed of a WR ‘B’ Set and corridor coach). Hopefully there are no “fare dodgers” aboard!
The prarie tank standing at platform 2 will later work the 11.50 mixed train to Wadebridge.

It seems that the carriage cleaners have been rather lazy judging by the state of first carriage:

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #784 on: February 10, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
Thank you, Martin, for another excellent set of photos.

I guess the train would draw up with the corridor coach alongside the halt platforms. The original writer does not mention the season, but I would expect the three coach sets he remembers were only seen during the Summer season and special occasions. Pictures of trains on the Newquay line show two-coach trains of ex-GWR coaches in BR Crimson and BR Lined Maroon, some corridor, some not. Some Collett design (or earlier compartment stock), some Hawksworth, but no BR Standard coaches, as single-unit diesel railcars, often working in pairs, replaced the ex-GWR rolling stock in the early 1960s.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #785 on: February 11, 2018, 08:17:21 pm »

I guess the train would draw up with the corridor coach alongside the halt platforms. The original writer does not mention the season, but I would expect the three coach sets he remembers were only seen during the Summer season and special occasions. Pictures of trains on the Newquay line show two-coach trains of ex-GWR coaches in BR Crimson and BR Lined Maroon, some corridor, some not. Some Collett design (or earlier compartment stock), some Hawksworth, but no BR Standard coaches, as single-unit diesel railcars, often working in pairs, replaced the ex-GWR rolling stock in the early 1960s.
I was thinking about that.
If it’s a very short platform how would the poor folk in the non corridor stock alight?
Unless the train draws forward one carriage at a time. In which case some cheeky so and so would jump aboard thus avoiding the ticket collector in the corridor coach.
Anyway, it makes for an interesting train!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:18:24 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #786 on: February 11, 2018, 09:32:49 pm »

I was thinking about that.
If it’s a very short platform how would the poor folk in the non corridor stock alight?
Unless the train draws forward one carriage at a time. In which case some cheeky so and so would jump aboard thus avoiding the ticket collector in the corridor coach.
Anyway, it makes for an interesting train!

I should expect that passengers for 'Xyz' would be told to travel in the first coach.  Still happens on the K&WVR at Damems.  If not the first coach, it needs really good work by the enginemen to stop at the correct place.  To help with this, the Dartmouth Steam Railway has some very clever markers at Greenway for trains in the Up direction, as it is a short platform with a tunnel beyond.  I think that they would avoid drawing forward one carriage at a time as it's very time consuming.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #787 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »
I should expect that passengers for 'Xyz' would be told to travel in the first coach.  Still happens on the K&WVR at Damems.  If not the first coach, it needs really good work by the enginemen to stop at the correct place.  To help with this, the Dartmouth Steam Railway has some very clever markers at Greenway for trains in the Up direction, as it is a short platform with a tunnel beyond.  I think that they would avoid drawing forward one carriage at a time as it's very time consuming.

Best wishes.

John

This applies on the South Devon Railway at Staverton.  Passengers alighting need to alight from the front two coaches of a Totnes bound train and the rear two coaches of a Buckfastleigh bound train due to the short platform.  Mind you the SDR trains are normally formed of gangwayed stock.  There are also plenty of locations on the National network where long trains call at stations with short platforms.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #788 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:41 pm »
A few unusual and awkward to take shots of Port Perran from the rear.
First, the bewery yard with a pannier and brakevan passing on the Port Perran station avoiding line. The main line is to the right of the loco shed and signal box:

Just a little further along the line and we see a prarie tank at the head of a local goods about to cross the level crossing. The pannier is waiting to gain access to the freight line having come off the Penwinnick branch with a loaded clay train..
Trelawney’s garage to the front with the sawmills and woodyard behind:

Finally, a view from above the timber yard. The main line to Trepol Bay is in the background running under the footbridge. Beyond that are the dunes of Perran Beach.

My Layouts -

Online JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #789 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:24 pm »
Cracking shots Martin. It's great to see Port Perran from different angles. Looks like I'm seeing the layout for the first time again.  :)

:beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #790 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:57 pm »
Cracking shots Martin. It's great to see Port Perran from different angles. Looks like I'm seeing the layout for the first time again.  :)

:beers:

Seconded! They are both such excellent layouts full of interesting details. Many thanks for these photos., Martin, which must have been difficult to take.

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #791 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:10 pm »
Thirded :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #792 on: February 13, 2018, 11:10:02 pm »
Forth'ed, very nice shots Martin.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #793 on: February 14, 2018, 07:05:40 am »
Fifthed (is that a thing) nice shots as always. I love how much you can get in the space available wit  gauge
Not sure its supposed to do that

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #794 on: February 14, 2018, 08:01:17 am »
Sixthed (try saying that after a few West Country ales).

Lovely pics Martin. Great stuff. Forever an inspiration.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything