!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 24227 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:14 pm »
Three bananas? Give the man a hand  :D
That's just plain greedy!
I'm keeping an open for one to convert into one of the twin units.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
Although Several Felt a Tad Liverish...

... Most of our visiting enthusiasts woke early today and enjoyed a hearty breakfast.  They then turned up at the station.  And General Manager Poppy's Cunning Plan (a) worked.  An Up Relief train was waiting, as the hordes could not all squeeze into single railcars departing in each direction.  @wookie has a good idea - twin car sets. Some of the Swindon-built 'Flying Bananas' were two car trains.  I don't think I have seen a picture of one but maybe I have.

Apart from a few dyed in the wool diesel enthusiasts, the multitude leapt on board the 'B Set' in the 1934 monogram livery.  'Shirt button' to anyone on Jermyn Street.  They had noticed that the train was worked by a delightful rarity.

No. 2284; a 'Collett Goods' built at the little Swindon in Beer where one can have a cream tea in the Pullman Car.  Although 'Collett Goods' locomotives are a fairly common sight on the Table-Top Railway, these were built at that other little Swindon on the Isle of Man.  The Peco 'Collett Goods' are normally static exhibits nowadays.  But what lovely locomotives they are.  Little jewels.  It appears that, once in a generation-and-a-bit, Peco produces a stunning British 'N' Gauge locomotive.  It is rumoured that, where the water ought to be in the (very big) tender, there is an electrical device that does clever things.  We don't do clever things here, so that is untested.  But the Peco 'Collett Goods' all run well - very well indeed.

By the early afternoon the crowds started to thin out and the layout is slowly returning to normal.  By tomorrow all services will be steam-worked.

By the way, General Manager Poppy's Cunning Plan (b) also worked.  You know that large mouse that had been lurking by the wall at the end of the garden, beside Rosa Mundi?  It is now an ex-mouse.  It has ceased to be.  &c!  It's tiring work, this general management:-

And that's it from our 'Going Bananas' Gala Weekend.

Very many thanks for looking at this nonsense.

With all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John (and Poppy)
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2018, 08:08:03 pm »
Many thanks for all the excellent photos., including of D6326 and its train. I had not realised that you had so many GWR diesel railcars. That is a fine collection. My GWR livery one is away being renumbered (from 22 to 26) after DCC-fitting.

When I find my Minitrix coaches I can photograph D6326 and its train arriving back at Cant Cove. The return train will include coaches for Withy Junction (which will be removed at Templecombe), Trepol Bay, Port Perran and Truro (removed at Wadebridge). Bristol has promised that a brand new "Hymek" will assist to Exeter. By Exeter, the WR Buffet Car will be much lighter!

I, too, have a lovely (and expensive) Peco Collett Goods, NL-27 2251 in BR Plain Black Late Crest. Ideally, I'd like a BR Lined Green one, so, I may buy a Union Mills one and have it nicely lined and renumbered to one of Exmouth Junction's ones: 2214, for preference. I believe Martin has at least one!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:14:23 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: May 06, 2018, 08:47:22 pm »
Thank you John. Iím sure that the contingent from these South Western shores thoroughly enjoyed their two days of nonsense up country.
Those collett 0-6-0 thingys are well regarded down here. The good folk at the CLPG (with assistance from their good friends at the GWS) have restored a GWR example (like yours constructed at Beer) to running order.
They are indeed fine performers.
It is rumoured that this excellent locomotive will feature at the annual Tregonning May Day celebrations along with a green liveried GW railcar.
Hopefully the Cornish contingent will arrive home in good time and in good spirits and hopefully with clear heads.
And hopefully, the General Manager wonít have found the responsibility of overseeing the Going Bananas event too taxing.
Bye for now.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: May 06, 2018, 09:18:19 pm »
Many thanks for all the excellent photos., including of D6326 and its train. I had not realised that you had so many GWR diesel railcars. That is a fine collection. My GWR livery one is away being renumbered (from 22 to 26) after DCC-fitting.

When I find my Minitrix coaches I can photograph D6326 and its train arriving back at Cant Cove. The return train will include coaches for Withy Junction (which will be removed at Templecombe), Trepol Bay, Port Perran and Truro (removed at Wadebridge). Bristol has promised that a brand new "Hymek" will assist to Exeter. By Exeter, the WR Buffet Car will be much lighter!

I, too, have a lovely (and expensive) Peco Collett Goods, NL-27 2251 in BR Plain Black Late Crest. Ideally, I'd like a BR Lined Green one, so, I may buy a Union Mills one and have it nicely lined and renumbered to one of Exmouth Junction's ones: 2214, for preference. I believe Martin has at least one!

Thank you, Chris.  I highly recommend the Union Mills 'Collett Goods' as a perfect 'layout locomotive'.  The two here perform very well.  It is not, in my view, worth comparing these with the Peco models.  A bit like comparing a Shire with an Appaloosa.  A few years ago I was at 'Pecorama' and a couple of 'Collett Goods' engines were in action on the Seaton Junction layout (now dismantled, I believe).  Both demonstrated the potential weakness of tender drive engines and made their way round the layout with the driving wheels sliding along the rails.  The Union Mills ones are much heavier and don't have collectors rubbing on the driving wheels, so this problem has not occurred, in my experience.

John
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:37:17 pm by Train Waiting, Reason: Completing text. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #590 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »
Thanks, John. I'll bear that in mind. However, I still need two T9s (one in BR Black and one preserved in SR Green) plus a '700' 'Black Motor' in BR Black, first. I really should not have waited, last year, whilst I bought other (mainly WR) locos.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:59 pm »
A Super 'Super Claud'.

[On former GER lines.  D16/3 'Super Claud' 4-4-0 No. 8828 arrives at Flaxfield station with an Up passenger train.  Change at Flaxfield for Arcady.]

It was my birthday a few days ago and Mrs Train Waiting (and Poppy!) kindly arranged for this lovely locomotive to be my birthday present.  I've wanted a 'D16/3' for a while and am thrilled to see this beautifully-proportioned engine running on the Table-Top Railway. She's ideal motive power for the 'Beer Trains', of which we will, hopefully, have many.  It's pretty much a 'Jazz Service' of 'Beer Trains' hereabouts!   :beers:

Many thanks for looking.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: May 18, 2018, 08:19:37 pm »
Belated happy birthday John.
That is a super present and looks splendid at the head of that teak carriage.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #593 on: May 20, 2018, 08:32:18 pm »
What-ho, Chums.

I'm ever so pleased with the new 'D16/3' and hoped that you wouldn't mind too much being subjected to another photograph.  I thought that I would set up a little scene on 'Bertie Wooster's Train Set', showing how jolly spiffing was the LNER about the time of the Coronation.  Here it is:

[Flaxfield, with 'D16/3' 4-4-0 No. 8828 on a Down train and 'B12/3' 4-6-0 No. 8572 on an Up working.]

But the camera is an unforgiving witness.  Just look at the 'B12/3'; she looks like she is going truffle hunting!  The 'B12/3's were good engines and generally very well looked after, so this Simply Would Not Do.  That weight distribution would be a menace and would give the Chief Civil Engineer a giddy turn.  8572 went on shed for some attention to her springs, axleboxes, hornguides and other horribly heavy things.

Can you see the difference (apart from my motor-car being in the second photograph)?  She runs just as well as before but, sadly, I've given up on a potential supply of truffles to sell to the Edinburgh restaurant trade.  In the unlikely event that you have a 'B12/3' in need of similar attention, a PM to Poppy (our version of Norwich shed's Foreman Fitter) will result in a reply with all the dreadful details.

Thank you for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: May 20, 2018, 08:44:39 pm »
Good Evening John.
Iíve never eaten Truffles but no matter.
Iíve studied those photos. Am I blind I ask myself?
What pray, is the difference? Or is it that obvious that it passes me by.
I wait enlightenment  ;)
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: May 20, 2018, 09:22:55 pm »
Good Evening John.
I wait enlightenment  ;)

Hello Martin

Thank you for your reply and apologies for being overly obtuse in these ramblings.

In the first photograph the 'B12/3' looks like her smokebox is pointing down towards the ground (like a dog sniffing out truffles).  This surprised me as I had not noticed it before.  But it was indeed the case.  It took the low camera angle to make me see it, though.  Following a bit of bodging I took the second photograph and, hopefully, you'll see that her boiler is now sitting level.  The brake van in the siding is a useful, albeit accidental, visual reference.  Can you see it now?

Best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »
Good Evening John.
I wait enlightenment  ;)

Hello Martin

Thank you for your reply and apologies for being overly obtuse in these ramblings.

In the first photograph the 'B12/3' looks like her smokebox is pointing down towards the ground (like a dog sniffing out truffles).  This surprised me as I had not noticed it before.  But it was indeed the case.  It took the low camera angle to make me see it, though.  Following a bit of bodging I took the second photograph and, hopefully, you'll see that her boiler is now sitting level.  The brake van in the siding is a useful, albeit accidental, visual reference.  Can you see it now?

Best wishes.

John
Thank you. Iím not sure that Iíd have noticed that.
Glad itís sorted to your satisfaction though.
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #597 on: May 20, 2018, 09:58:42 pm »
Good Evening John.
I wait enlightenment  ;)

Hello Martin

Best wishes.

John
Thank you. Iím not sure that Iíd have noticed that.
Glad itís sorted to your satisfaction though.

Ditto to all the above.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: Yesterday at 11:26:09 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for all the really    :greatpicturessign: John,
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00