!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: W class tank  (Read 1314 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: W class tank
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 12:47:34 pm »
What did this loco score in the last wishlist poll? That should give you a very rough idea of likely demand.
I have absolutely no idea hence the original question to see if it had ever been discussed as to any detail

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
  :whisper: I think the suggestion was that you should do the research  :read2:

However, if you want one, why not bypass all that and ask a 3D expert like Mr Atso Cad here:  :admiration:

http://www.atso-cadmodels.co.uk/page4.htm

He has a preference for all things LNER, but you should not hold that against him  :) and maybe he will produce a W tank designed to fit a Fairburn chassis, for example, given the interest on here.

I would definitely pay 25 or more for a 3D printed body (his LNER L1 2-6-4T is about that price), given that a whitemetal kit of an early variant LBSCR E2 0-6-0 tank I bought last week is 27 and a late variant E2 tank 37, and those kits are (1) not detailed and (2) date from the 1970s.
The thing about the W for me is that it is ugly, iconic and did in fact run all around London including the north London lines on inter-regional freight movements, and was also used as a banker at Exeter St Davids for a while too, so it was better travelled than many folk might think. Folks like the Bullied Q1 for similar reasons of ugliness.

HTH
Bob

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »
I think the main 2 limitations for demand would be the small class size (just 15 made) and the fact it obviously fell out of the ugly tree :laugh: It was banned from passenger working as it was too unstable, and was concentrated around London so although maybe a desire for Southern Region modellers the operating area was very narrow. At least they survived until the early 1960s so transition modellers might be attracted as well as SR diehards. Personally I agree with Bob G in that a 3d body would be a quicker and more successful route to market.

Until some migrated to Eastliegh to work the Fawley branch and Exmouth Junction for banking between St Davids and Central Stations.

Dodger

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 02:00:37 pm »
I have no problem trying to work everything out and be as involved as I could be in the process of it, this was the reason behind posting this to see what people thought about it as opposed to just post on here

I want a W class Tank (as the title names to clear confusion over which loco were talking about) someone needs to build it me

So if people can recommend which direction we go in order to workout the next step that would be fantastic

Online longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 10:58:50 pm »
You already have some good recommendations. Acting on them is up to you.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here