!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: W class tank  (Read 1068 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
W class tank
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »
Just throwing this out there??? Anybody
 want one?
Discussed one before???

In BR livery late crest ideally for me

Offline snitchthebudgie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4489
    • Awards
Re: W class tank
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
I'd love one or two, any livery, but if we can't get 'B' tankers produced, what chance a 'W'?

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:57:25 pm »
Well me dads just told me if we can get them he'd have upto 5 if we can renumber so thats 7 sold already clever people that can make this happen

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:48 pm »
I would have one.
Bob

PS I have also ordered a huge number of type B tanks (21 at last count).

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 01:06:30 am »
How about you start with telling us about the loco in question and the rationale why you think it would be a viable model for crowd funding. (look at other threads in the 'Crowdfunding' forum for how to structure it and the kind of information others have put into suggested models)

BTW, The W class that immediately comes to mind for me is not a Tank - it is the NCC Mogul, the tank equivalent (which was basically a broad-gauge version of the Fairburn 2-6-4 we already have from Farish) was officially class WT.

I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about, but actually when you think about it; being the last Mainline steam locos in service in the UK, they would probably be as viable as any Irish Loco...  ;)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:31:23 am »
I am thinking this one:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/wclass_1.html

They were used all around London on inter-regional freight workings.

And looking at the sizes of the loco and wheelsets, a 3D print on a Standard or Fairburn 2-6-4T chassis would be more cost-effective than a totally new loco, given the likelihood of limited sales.

Bob

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:00:39 am »
How about you start with telling us about the loco in question and the rationale why you think it would be a viable model for crowd funding. (look at other threads in the 'Crowdfunding' forum for how to structure it and the kind of information others have put into suggested models)

BTW, The W class that immediately comes to mind for me is not a Tank - it is the NCC Mogul, the tank equivalent (which was basically a broad-gauge version of the Fairburn 2-6-4 we already have from Farish) was officially class WT.

I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about, but actually when you think about it; being the last Mainline steam locos in service in the UK, they would probably be as viable as any Irish Loco...  ;)

Surely if it was a loco you were interested in and would want one on your layout we wouldn't need to waste pages on here telling people about it. It's obviously something you would not want or would already know. There's plenty of info relating to the loco everywhere else and it was a BROAD QUESTION if anyone would be interested or if it had already been discussed!!!!!!!!

Online Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:48:27 am »
In some respects Craig, I really admire your enthusiasm, but sometimes it's best to channel that enthusiasm in a different way.

PLD makes some very valid points. I think we all accept that your question was a broad one, and you weren't necessarily asking someone to make this for you (crowdfunded or otherwise). I, along with many others on this forum, I am sure, have no idea what a W class is. Now that's not due to any kind of idle ignorance, it's down to the fact that there are hundreds (thousands? of different locomotive types that have run on BR metals. Because I have no idea what it is, I have no idea where it ran, so maybe I don't know that It would fit in with my location/era?

Have a look on this forum section at the threads for the Class 28, the Class 21/29, the Class B tanks, The GWR loco (the type that eludes me right now, but promoted by Karhedron). I would bet my house that there are people on the forum that support or supported these initiatives because they were given some information on the prototypes. In other words, they didn't know they wanted it until someone came along and gave out some information about it. As a further example, how many modelers who model Scotland, would necessarily know that two examples of the GWR 1600 pannier tank engines spent a number of years plying their trade North of Inverness, and ending their days in Perth, unless someone had presented that information to them? We can't know everything, and we can't know everything about every class of locomotive.

You started this thread, presumably on the basis that you would want one. You'd stand a better chance of encouraging others and building momentum for the project if you gave them a little bit more to work on. Tell us why we would want one of these, because the more people you have on board the greater the chance of success.

Again, have a look at the other threads here to see what I mean.

A final point. "people who can make this happen" are very unlikely to pick up the batton and run with a proposal if the proposer doesn't make a compelling case. See some of RevolutioN trains comments on this forum in that regard. A thread full of "I'd buy two and my brother says he'd want five and his mate will take ten........"etc, isn't going to do much good I'm afraid. You need to convince a crowdfunder that the model will fly (or in this case steam). Please also bear in mind that the absolute minimum numbers required for a production run, within acceptable unit costs, is about 1000 models.

All of this is meant in a helpful way. Please, calm down a bit, take on board what people are saying, which isn't to be taken personally and direct your obvious enthusiasm in a more constructive way, rather than poo-pooing pertinent and helpful advice given by what appear to be experienced forum members. PLD was only trying to help you.

As a final, final point, if presenting a proposal is not something you are comfortable with, or can be bothered with, I would be more than happy to put together some sort of proper proposal on the forum if you want, if you can give me a bit more information.

I hope the above makes sense and is helpful.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:52:38 am by Carmont »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:57 am »
Indeed it does make sense and as I asked if it had ever been discussed it was a simple throughout and like we all know there are MANY cleverer people on here then me relating to this process.
If we could gauge interest with a simple question and someone like yourself interested and comfortable inputting the case together to attempt to try and get someone interested in producing it then that's the next step.
I could never contemplate the VAST AMOUNT of work needing to go into producing anything and as discussed elsewhere the issues that are encounter along the way!!
But yes let's have a decent discussion about it, the written word is often misread and leads to tempers flaring.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:20:27 am »
I think the main 2 limitations for demand would be the small class size (just 15 made) and the fact it obviously fell out of the ugly tree :laugh: It was banned from passenger working as it was too unstable, and was concentrated around London so although maybe a desire for Southern Region modellers the operating area was very narrow. At least they survived until the early 1960s so transition modellers might be attracted as well as SR diehards. Personally I agree with Bob G in that a 3d body would be a quicker and more successful route to market.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:25:24 am »
Yeah definitely agree with NewportNobby here, if that means we can get them onto a dcc chassis without hitting the issues other manufacturers are having with their new motor.

Maybe not the prettiest in the world but class 67s got built 😄

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 11:27:16 am »

Maybe not the prettiest in the world but class 67s got built 😄

And class 70s :sick2:

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:17 am »
Oh indeed. Pretty good job looks don't influence the decision making (in modelling anyway)  :laughabovepost:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »
Being an SR/ex LSWR modeller, I've contemplated either a Maunsell W or Urie H16 class myself; my thoughts however lean towards a kit bash of either a Langley S15 or  BHE N15 on one of the Farish 2-6-4 tank chassis or a Hack of a Farish N class.

I've not gone as far yet as measuring up drivers and other dimensions.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:49 pm »
What did this loco score in the last wishlist poll? That should give you a very rough idea of likely demand.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything