!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Shiplake Bridge  (Read 1169 times)

Offline G_N_E_R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Just another N Gauge modeler, focusing on GNER!
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Shiplake Bridge
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
 :hellosign:
This thread will be about my modernisation of Shiplake Railway Bridge and possible expansion into a larger layout. :D

Here is a lengthy paragraph that in't necessary to read  ;D

In December I purchased the Layout as seen now from Karl in Reading, he is almost the polar opposite to me when it comes to modelling but we got on like a house on fire! He prefers the scenic side and building of dioramas to exact photographs of a certain time period alongside boats and planes. (He had a 16ft wingspan lancaster which they use in several war films but now I really am digressing!) This model of his was built a few years ago and depicts the Shiplake Railway Bridge in its prime time in the 1940's and 50's before its second track was torn up. However I have never been a fan of kettles although I was empted to buy a Pannier and Autocoach for the novelty of having them but I managed to resist! The Water effects were done with Woodlands Scenic Realistic Water and the ripples were tapped in with the back of a teaspoon. The only "Purchased" products on the layout were the track, sheep, trees, one boat and the car with all the rest being scratch built. I find the detail incredible as these first photos show!

A View of the river looking Upstream

A view of the Stone Arch Bridge Support viewed across the Boat Club Canal Section

And a picture taken of the Boatclub by a low flying reconnaissance aircraft ;)

The Only locomotive I have that would be acceptable to run in his mind is the bubble car pictured below, its a shame I sold it yesterday!

I myself have always been a modern image modeler, especially high speed trains. Running these majestic trains full length at scale speed was my main incentive to move to N Gauge and I have built a fairly large ECML stock collection however a GNER 225 is yet to grace this layout! Infact the first stock to be situated on the bridge was the synonymous sight of any location on the modern network: a grubby and fierce EWS 66 as shown below.

Soon a Voyager was placed on the bridge as these seem to fit in everywhere these days :P

That is all for tonight folks! I'll post soon about my latest "masterplan" involving this layout and below is a small teaser. Any questions please ask! Thank you for reading!

Regards Philip!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:56:42 pm by G_N_E_R »
If it ain't Blue and Red, something must be wrong!!

Online Webbo

• Awards
Re: Shiplake Bridge // Schiffsee Brücke
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:08:18 am »
Fine looking modelling.

Dioramas like this can be very good and works of art (this one is), but to incorporate it into a layout in which the trains actually rumble and roll across the bridge would be something else.

The first thing that came to mind was that it reminded me of a movie made called Bridge to Nowhere. When I Googled the title, I found that there were in fact two movies of this name. The first, released in 1986, was a terror film about kids encountering a hermit and the second from 2009 concerned a prostitution ring.

Webbo

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:02:12 am »
That's a fine looking diorama, Philip, and I look forward to seeing what you'll be doing with it.

Offline Al.

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:39 am »
Looks like you've picked up a nice model there. From the photos the detailing looks superb. I look forward to seeing more.

Al.

'The Bridge at Remagen' Facebook page - https://www.facebook...ridgeAtRemagen/

Booked exhibitions.
CMRA Stevenage - January 2018.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:41:19 am »
It is, indeed, a truly superb model and, yes, I think it would look even better as part of a much larger layout so that a much greater variety of trains than just a diesel unit could run over the bridge but how would you match the scenic work? That would be a real challenge for me. I look forward very much to seeing how you will develop this.

Offline G_N_E_R

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:20:32 pm »
It is, indeed, a truly superb model and, yes, I think it would look even better as part of a much larger layout so that a much greater variety of trains than just a diesel unit could run over the bridge but how would you match the scenic work? That would be a real challenge for me. I look forward very much to seeing how you will develop this.

Hello Chris,
I have two projects in mind for the diorama, the first being to construct a 6mm MDF "Sky blue" three sided box for the layout just so I can run trains over her without having a "messy" fiddle yard. This will feature, on either side, a non scenic section where the track widens to normal unitrack width with power feeds and will enable me to just connect the layout to a temporary loop and run trains.

The Grand Plan however is for this river to feature on the right hand side of a far larger "urban" layout, the hut currently standing on the diorama as the boat club shed has since been knocked down and replaced with a modern building. This will have a tarmac area around it acting as a car park that should ideally nicely lead the layout from the river into the town. Luckily I have identical grass colours to ease the change and the mainline will coast on an embankment either through the town or into a station. Perhaps even a junction! All this is still to be decided and I shall be drawing up Scarm plans over the next weeks!

Regards
Phil

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:31:24 pm »
Many thanks for the update, Phil. Both sound very interesting and I look forward to the updates with photos., in due course.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »
Hi Phil,

I love the diorama and sure you can do it proud. Looking forward to any extensions.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS If you think you've got too many boats you know where I am  :)

Offline G_N_E_R

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »
Hello All,
After putting on some DB Stock perhaps I will set the project in Germany! Looks fitting to me just missing the Catenary :D

unfortunately none of these photos capture the brilliance of the German Trains on the Layout but to me it looks like a match made in heaven, what do you all think?

Regards
Phil

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:51 pm »
 :hellosign: The diorama looks superb with the German stock on the bridge, although me thinks  :hmmm: any hi-speed trains would be complimentary. Look forward to developments
     regards Derek.

Steamie+

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 08:25:52 am »
:hellosign: The diorama looks superb with the German stock on the bridge, although me thinks  :hmmm: any hi-speed trains would be complimentary. Look forward to developments
     regards Derek.

Agree with Derek, :smiley-laughing: Really nice river and boatyard.    :thumbsup:

Offline G_N_E_R

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »
 :hellosign:
Well yes! The GNER 225 is a personal favourite! Photos will come but its been another busy week and I've got 3 hours of researching Bismarck to do before Tuesday somehow!
Updates and Scarm Plans will come!
Honest Governor!
Regards Phil

Offline G_N_E_R

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
Very little has happened in the past few weeks I'm afraid but the stock on the layout has slowly been rotated. I'm beginning to favor the British Outline a lot more than the continental stuff so will be potentially selling off my second Thalys soon and a few EMUs. Below are a few pictures of the GNER 225, finally!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »
Fabulous.

I love this...so nice to see a layout in a "different" setting and without a Metcalfe terrace in sight!  Keep it English I would say.  It looks like the Thames to me!

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline G_N_E_R

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
It is indeed the Thames :D 10 Points to PostMod!
Regards
Phil

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything