!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 28700 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:52 pm »
I'm intrigued as to why you chose the B5 chassis instead of a Dapol Hall - the latter would require a lot less mods as all the cylinders/valve gear are GW pattern. 6' wheel diameter, which is the same as the B5, and the tender pattern is right - just need a Hawksworth flat sided body.

Maybe I'm missing something mega-obvious though as I'm not that big on GW knowledge!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »
Hi Alan,

The reason for using the Black Five is to get the (more or less) correct tender frames. Hawkesworth designed a completely new tender for the County with different frames to any other GWR locomotive currently available RTR. To use the Hall would require me to completely redesign the tender chassis and motor mountings which made the project a bit off putting. Ultimately it is a compromise to try and get as close to visually right as possible (0.5mm out on the coupled wheelbase).

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2018, 10:53:43 pm »
The County being undertaken by Hailstone and Atso are both very interesting projects.

It surprises me that a commercially available county has not already been made,

It has  - mostly in white metal for old Farish chassis. It's one of the range of white metal GWR kits P&D Marsh do (along with the 68xx, 93xx, 29xx). They are prretty dated kits although being a big lump of white metal have excellent traction. Todays 3D print should be able to produce a far finer model.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:11 am »
Yes, I have 3 of the Langley County kits. One I have had that long that the old Farish Hall chassis could be had new for 23 from Hatton's!    The other two have been picked up cheap in recent years. I do have a Hall chassis but have never actually gotten around to using it for a County. It's probably nostalgia that plays a part in me hanging onto them.

I think for many of us a dilemma would be running a whitemetal County alongside current offerings, where the bar has been raised so high with regard detail. I have made the County kits up and airbrushed them. Even with some N brass detailing when put alongside a Dapol Hall they just don't cut the mustard.
o called
This 3D printed County is interesting, especially if Atso is able to print it himself to a good standard bypassing Shapeway's. We may be on the cusp of seeing a modern day resurgence of the so called "Cottage industries" using 3D printing to produce items the major players "pass over" 

The price of model railway products coming out of China is seemingly rising year on year. I envisage this may well lead to more people looking to actually build something themselves, from the likes of Atso, Etched Pixels, NGS, 2mm association and others.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2018, 11:14:47 am »
Sorry, I thought that trkilliman was referring to RTR models earlier - my apologies.  :sorrysign:

I've found that my printer is a good match for Shapeways but doesn't totally replace it. Quite a few of my models are still produced by Shapeways, or similar, where the B9 is incapable of producing a superior print - usually due to warping issues but the build area is also very small. It really is a case of picking the best printer option to do the job. The other problem is the time taken to print, the County takes around eight hours to print the locomotive body on my printer and I can only print one at a time so this isn't cost effective for direct sales.

I'm hoping to using fettled prints to produce casting masters going forward, which effectively is what I did with the original pigeon van kit a few years ago. However, this may not be cost effective for everything so some prints sold directly by/though Shapeways will still have a place.

I did investigate the Form 2 printer and had a company produce some test prints. I have to say that I'm impressed with how smooth the prints are and the big build area. However, the detail isn't as crisp as prints produced on the B9 and Shapeways (FUD/FXD) and the consumables are more expensive so I'm going to be waiting for at least the next generation of this printer before deciding if I'm going to try and find the money to buy one.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2018, 07:10:03 pm »
I'm intrigued as to why you chose the B5 chassis instead of a Dapol Hall - the latter would require a lot less mods as all the cylinders/valve gear are GW pattern. 6' wheel diameter, which is the same as the B5, and the tender pattern is right - just need a Hawksworth flat sided body.

Maybe I'm missing something mega-obvious though as I'm not that big on GW knowledge!

Cheers,
Alan

Sorry Alan, but the frames of the Collet 4000 galon tender and the Hawksorth 4000 gallon tender are completely different, the Hawksworth frames look more like the Stanier tender, which was one of the reasons I used the Peco Jubilee in the first place as I had a whitemetal conversion kit which included a Hawksworth tender body designed to fit on the jubilee tender chassis

Regards,

Alex

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »
The latest test print showing rivets, warts and all...

I also started on some of the boiler fitting. I'm really not convinced that I've captured the look of the double chimney though (single chimney will be modelled too!)..  :hmmm: :hmmm:.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:09 pm »
Steve, The double chimney on your latest cad was only fitted to no 1000, the later ones were much more squat, so much so, that many people considered that it ruined the looks of the engine (I must admit I rather like it)

Regards,

Alex

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:24 am »
Steve, The double chimney on your latest cad was only fitted to no 1000, the later ones were much more squat, so much so, that many people considered that it ruined the looks of the engine (I must admit I rather like it)

Thanks Alex,

Your comment is interesting as I was trying to get the BR period one! Obviously this needs work!

I made the trip down to the Alton show yesterday and took the current County test print with me (no chimney though). Carl Woodward and Matt Pinto both gave it the once over and (encouragingly) haven't found anything wrong with it. Carl also found a nice book on GWR locomotives that was duly purchased. It has the dimensions for the original double chimney in it so hopefully I can use this to work out the height of the BR version. If not I think a trip to Didcot might be required to measure up the surviving one before it can be mounted on the replica being built - oh, the hardships!!!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:49 am »
Bill Bedford etches. Yes I get the impression he has stopped doing N gauge.

A pity. As I have said before I feel with rtr prices increasing as they are more will be tempted/pushed to try their hand and actually building things.  This is an area in which the NGS could capitalise with their range of wagon kits.

Just a few days back I looked at the current cost of a Farish Toad brake van...I had to look twice to ensure I didn't need a trip to Specsavers!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2018, 06:38:13 pm »
The latest test print showing rivets, warts and all...

I also started on some of the boiler fitting. I'm really not convinced that I've captured the look of the double chimney though (single chimney will be modelled too!)..  :hmmm: :hmmm:.

Looks good to me, OMG what is happening to me, praising a none LMS loco

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:49 pm »
OMG what is happening to me, praising a non LMS loco

@paulprice Lack of beer, old chap, lack of beer :beers:

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2018, 02:05:09 pm »
Having recently received some additional cash, I have purchased a couple of category 'C' locomotives from DCC Supplies for donor parts.

As these will require an element of mixing and matching between the two locomotives to get a representation of what I want, these will be strictly personal projects. Also, as I have other work on the go at the moment, these may take some time to complete. However, as a little break from these, I will be having a go at stripping these down this afternoon to make sure my ideas might actually work.

Any initial guesses as to what I have planned for them?

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2018, 04:39:25 pm »
Any initial guesses as to what I have planned for them?

A jumbo-sized, double-boilered 4-6-2-6-4...?

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »
Great Bear, or whatever the unique GWR pacific was called ?

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here