!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 31481 times)

Atso and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2017, 11:43:12 am »
A comparison between the homemade and etched nameplates.

You can clearly see that the etched ones are crisper and have better relief but the homemade ones aren't too bad - considering these are a rejected set.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2017, 11:52:32 am »
A comparison between the homemade and etched nameplates.

You can clearly see that the etched ones are crisper and have better relief but the homemade ones aren't too bad - considering these are a rejected set.

they look rather good to me

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:29 am »
Steve

You will have to show us how you have made your own plates, as it may be very useful (I have 15 locomotives now requiring plates). Being a prudent chap (my sister claims as tight as two coats of paint) it's very interesting

Hi Paul,

These were made mainly using materials I had to hand. Firstly you'll need a programme that can create shapes and text; I used my CAD software for this but I understand that word can be used for this (though don't ask me how). Once you're happy with the artwork print it using a black and white laser printer (it has to be a laser printer) onto acetate and check that you've got an even coverage of toner around any letters and beading.

Getting the black to turn gold is where the clever bit happens, you need to have a laminator and some special gold transfer foil. The transfer foil is the only bit I purchased for this project and cost me 5 (free P+P) for a 15m long roll from ebay. Take your printed acetate and lay the foil over the top, place a couple of piece of paper over the acetate to protect it and run the whole lot through the laminator. Once cool (about 30 seconds), remove the foil and, where there is toner, you should now have some gold lettering.

Next cut the acetate to slightly smaller than A4 and tape it around the edges face down onto a piece of paper or card and spray the back black (or whatever backing colour use want). This should leave you with the following:

You might notice that the coverage on these plates is not perfect on the rejected set above, however by printing several you will end up with quite a few that are useable. All that remains is to carefully cut them (with a compass cutter in this case) out and apply to the model.

Having looked at them compared to some etched plates following Alan's comments, they're not as good however they really do look the part on the model (to me anyway) and will do for the moment until I can justify spending quite a bit of money on replacement etched plates.

Ingenious  :bounce:

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2017, 12:29:08 pm »
Ingenious  :bounce:

Thanks Paul but I'm not sure I'd go that far. As can been seen from the comparison picture, they are inferior to the etched plates. However, they are cheap and fill a requirement pending being able to afford the better solution.

There are limitations with this, I don't think I could get the lettering much smaller than this while keeping everything legible. If you're looking to produce a nameplate with additional inscriptions under the name, this probably won't work (at least nothing in the smaller font would be readable). Same with worksplates, I'm sure that the brass shape would come out find but don't expect to have any writing inscribed on it. However, when you consider the difference in cost it isn't too bad.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »
... the homemade ones aren't too bad ...

I think they're brilliant (and ingenious). The most complex method I'd attempt is printing a decal using Powerpoint/Word Art with some shadowing. Besides, making is better for us than shopping!

Mike

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »
Thanks Mike, they'll do for the time being at least. :)

The D49 Hunt class has also seen some progress today with a start made on its identity.

Also in shot is a Farish tender body from a J39 that, having gotten fed up with the 3D printed version, will be paired with the loco. While the tender displays the correct crest, it was unlined so I've started to do something about that. I'm current trying to decide if I should try and retain the original Dapol Schools drive or just go with the Farish tender drive. Making the Schools freerunning is a simple matter of removing one screw and releasing the worm.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »

The D49 Hunt class has also seen some progress today with a start made on its identity.

Tip - you've got some decal silvering around the numerals - overpainting these tiny areas with gloss black before varnishing will remove this and the varnish will flatten all areas into one.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2017, 06:15:20 pm »
Tip - you've got some decal silvering around the numerals - overpainting these tiny areas with gloss black before varnishing will remove this and the varnish will flatten all areas into one.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan, I'll do this once the Micro Sol has fully dried.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:12 pm »

Also in shot is a Farish tender body from a J39 that, having gotten fed up with the 3D printed version, will be paired with the loco. While the tender displays the correct crest, it was unlined so I've started to do something about that. I'm current trying to decide if I should try and retain the original Dapol Schools drive or just go with the Farish tender drive. Making the Schools freerunning is a simple matter of removing one screw and releasing the worm.

I think that looks stunning - mixed traffic lining on black always does it, I reckon. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

I always wonder why the D20s didn't get that treatment.

Regards,

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2017, 03:38:09 pm »
Thanks Roy, I agree that it looks great in mixed traffic black but I still think it looks better in apple green! Lord only knows why the D20s and a host of other locomotives weren't similarly treated.

Not an update as such but rather a brief report on a completely random and happy event that happened around an hour ago.

I'd been up to KS Models in Stevenage to buy some more paint. On the way back I was about to drive under the ECML by the station and while still around 50 yards from the bridge Flying Scotsman rolled across! I had no idea that it was due through but wasn't travelling very fast and I can't remember if it was towing anything other than it's support coach. Still this is the first time I've since the loco in one piece and in steam since I was nine years old - the three visits to York in recent years don't count as the loco was still in pieces and most of it was missing/out of view.

I've been putting off travelling to see it until all the hype has died down but what a cop today!  :D :D :D :claphappy:

In case you hadn't realised I'm a big fan!  :bounce:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2017, 04:30:26 pm »

I've been putting off travelling to see it until all the hype has died down but what a cop today!  :D :D :D :claphappy:

Hope it was travelling slowly enough for you to get the number, Steve :-X

In case you hadn't realised I'm a big fan!  :bounce:

Get away with you :no:

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2017, 04:32:20 pm »
A quick picture of my in progress conversion of a spare Dapol A3 into Flying Scotsman in c. 1933 A1 condition in celebration of my cop!

Still quite a bit to do including sorting out moving the reversing gear to the right hand side and fixing the valve gear on the other side. I'll also have a go at removing the streamlining from the corridor tender (spare from DCC supplies) but I think I'll draw the line at modifying the cab (again spare item) cutout to it's earlier, larger, condition.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »
Hope it was travelling slowly enough for you to get the number, Steve :-X

Indeed, it wasn't the same number as on my model though!  :(  :smiley-laughing:

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2017, 04:42:08 pm »
Great work.
 :greatpicturessign:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2017, 08:16:23 pm »
I'm a bit of a heretic - I like it in BR Green with double chimney and deflectors, but that's a very nice model, all the same.

Regards,

Roy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything