!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works  (Read 16818 times)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Atso's Carriage and Wagon Works
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
The detail on the GNR brake has really surprised me, and looks awesome, Steve. :o

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 04:19:54 pm »
I woke up to a surprise today as UPS had delivered my Shapeways prints!  :claphappy: This was a most welcome find as Shapeways predicted that they wouldn't be ready for shipping until Wednesday!

So what have I got?

From left to right: MR 15' long outside frame van (this is truly tiny!), the early LNER Dia 23 fish van and the later LNER dia 134 fish van. As you can see, I've test fitted the wheels (Farish) and everything is free running.

The GNR six wheel full brake. This one isn't quite as successful as the clearances aren't quite their to take the wheelsets. I think that I might be able to play with the clearances to find a better compromise to accept Farish coach wheels. At present, this coach wouldn't even take a 13mm axle as there really isn't enough clearance around the wheels. I thought this might well be the case but thought I'd try my luck anyway - three successes out of four really isn't bad. On the plus side, I'm really impressed with how well the panelling has come out.

The 6 wheel brake is stunning, it looks nearly as good as the far superior MR panelled version, and the goods stock looks good too.

Keep us all updated on a production date, I'm sure you will have a queue of customers :)

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 04:51:26 pm »
Lovely looking coach, how long did they last in service ?

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2018, 05:33:11 pm »
Thank you guys!  :D

All of these prints will still need some rubbing down to get them totally smooth but the quality of Shapeways' FXD material seems to have really improved over the last couple of years.

Lovely looking coach, how long did they last in service ?

The old GNR six wheelers seemed to last forever! While most seem to have been withdrawn from revenue earning service either before or just after WW2, quite a few were pressed into departmental service and lasted for many years after - I think this is the reason why there are several still about.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »
Might be heresy but it would make a good grounded coach body too :hmmm:

Offline Mike J

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
Excellent BRM magazine article on your 3D printing, Steve. I think that your explanation of the processes involved and the differences in printers and materials is a credit to you and a great help to us 'old fashioned' scratch builders. Nice shots of your D49 and K3. Thanks also for the North of England Line credit.
Mike.
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2018, 06:06:47 pm »
Agreed, a great article, in fact the whole mag was a pretty well balanced read.

Good to see Steve's work and talent getting the exposure it most certainly deserves and I'm looking forward to his next instalment!

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2018, 11:04:43 am »
Excellent BRM magazine article on your 3D printing, Steve. I think that your explanation of the processes involved and the differences in printers and materials is a credit to you and a great help to us 'old fashioned' scratch builders. Nice shots of your D49 and K3. Thanks also for the North of England Line credit.

Thank you Mike both for your kind comments and allowing me to run my locomotives on NoEL whenever our paths cross. I wasn't expecting the picture of the K3 to feature in the article as I didn't submit it (I was planning to save that one for the follow up article in a couple of months). However, as Tony Wright took all of the photographs, I can only assume that he provided it to BRM.

Good to see Steve's work and talent getting the exposure it most certainly deserves and I'm looking forward to his next instalment!

Thank you Roy, I think that bodgings would be a more appropriate word than talent though!

Having never written an article before, I must confess to being very nervous about how it would be received. Therefore both your comments have been a welcome, and much needed, confidence boost during a bit of a downward phase.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2018, 06:50:38 pm »

Thank you Mike both for your kind comments and allowing me to run my locomotives on NoEL whenever our paths cross. I wasn't expecting the picture of the K3 to feature in the article as I didn't submit it (I was planning to save that one for the follow up article in a couple of months). However, as Tony Wright took all of the photographs, I can only assume that he provided it to BRM.

Thank you Roy, I think that bodgings would be a more appropriate word than talent though!

Having never written an article before, I must confess to being very nervous about how it would be received. Therefore both your comments have been a welcome, and much needed, confidence boost during a bit of a downward phase.

Hi Steve

The praise is well deserved, don't underestimate how good your work is.

The Gresley non-corridor print in the article was a truly exquisite model and I really do hope that when you are ready it makes an appearance on Shapeways!

In case some haven't seen the picture in BRM perhaps you could show a pic or two on here, I suspect it will generate a fair buzz!

Regards

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2018, 07:06:18 pm »
Hi Steve

The praise is well deserved, don't underestimate how good your work is.

The Gresley non-corridor print in the article was a truly exquisite model and I really do hope that when you are ready it makes an appearance on Shapeways!

In case some haven't seen the picture in BRM perhaps you could show a pic or two on here, I suspect it will generate a fair buzz!

Regards

Roy

Thanks Roy. Unfortunately the photographs taken for this (and the follow up article due in a couple of months) are the property of BRM now so I can't share them here.  :(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2018, 11:16:06 am »
Hi all,

The two fish vans have been rubbed down and primed. These have been delayed as I needed them as demonstration pieces for the photo shoot for the follow up article in BRM.

The cruel enlargements show that there are still a couple of little bits to fettle and then I get to learn resin casting techniques!

The Midland van is lagging behind at the moment as it needed to be photographed in its raw state. It has now been washed (drying as I type this) and will be joining these two in due course.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2018, 08:10:16 pm »
There's a wealth of detail to be seen on that :goggleeyes:. Great work, Steve

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2018, 01:02:14 pm »
There's a wealth of detail to be seen on that :goggleeyes:. Great work, Steve

Thanks Mick, I'll confess to feeling really rather pleased with how these are turning out!  :D

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
 I'll confess to feeling really rather pleased with how these are turning out!  :D

Rightly so. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2018, 05:24:35 pm »
The two fish vans have been rubbed down and primed.

Hi Steve - Could I ask what tools/techniques do you use to rub down so precisely as to not affect rivets, etc?

Thanks

Mike

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything