!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 148985 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1980 on: February 09, 2018, 08:35:22 pm »
The spraying you've done over the tunnel mouths has improved the scenery no end. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1981 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:02 pm »
The spraying you've done over the tunnel mouths has improved the scenery no end. :thumbsup:
Seconded.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1982 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:59 pm »
Thirded.  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1983 on: February 09, 2018, 09:40:38 pm »
Seconded.
Thirded. It just needs more grass and bushes of different shades, now.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1984 on: February 10, 2018, 06:19:37 pm »
I didn’t manage a time stealing session this morning because I had computer problems that needed sorting.  It all started off innocently enough, because I wanted to rename three directories to simplify navigation.  The first two worked OK, but the third kept on telling me that it was in use by another application.  I closed everything down, but with no improvement.  I checked with the Task Manager, which confirmed that there was nothing running.  So I decided to restart my computer and try again, with the knowledge that nothing would be running after the restart.  But when it all came up again, there was a message that the McAfee virus scan would not run.  I tried everything, including another restart, but to no effect.

I tried using McAfee Virtual Technician, which is usually very good, but it finished by informing me that there was a problem that it couldn’t solve.  So I had to resort to a ‘Chat’ with a real live technician.  In the end, as I thought he would, he had to take control of my PC and have a good luck at it.  The usual outcome of this is that he has to uninstall the whole of the application and reinstall it.  All this took quite a long time and, of course I had to be on hand to carry out certain tasks when requested.  By the time he had got everything working correctly again, it was time for our walk into Hessle to the butcher’s and for coffee.

I mentioned three days ago that we are having our kitchen reconfigured.  One of the things that needed doing beforehand was to remove some 25-year old Ikea units that have travelled around the country with us.  The previous owners had obviously used one end of the kitchen as their dining room.  We continued to use it for every day dining when there are just two of us and I had fitted the Ikea units into the end.  So my next job was to start to dismantle them.  This is the result, before I dismantle the final framework.

We decided that it would be a good idea to see if I could fit some of the shelving into the Train Shed.  So, when I did get down to the Train Shed, I had another job to do, once I had finished running the next timetable cycle.  It all ran very well with 9744 needing only two prods to get started and 6417 ran flawlessly.  There were a couple of incidents that needed noting.  Firstly, 61664 ‘Liverpool’ again derailed at Point 33.  I backed it up and tried again, with the same result.  I came to the conclusion that the rail joint at the start of the point was too wide and, possibly, slightly misaligned.  I used my bent-nosed pliers to adjust it as best I could and that seemed to do the job.  But the more I look round the track, the more flaws I see, so I really do think I am going to have to start ripping some of it up and re-laying it.  The other issue was that there were three other prod issues.  46443 which, until recently, has always performed flawlessly, required a prod to get it started from Platform 3.  This is the second time that has happened in the last few days.  Also, Dicheat Manor required a prod to get it started from DOWN Loop 18, which is also the second time it has happened recently.  In addition, 3846, with the mineral train, stalled a couple of times while running at very slow speed.  Normally it gets around the whole track at that speed without a problem, although it does need a boost in the loops to negotiate all the points.

I then sized up the task for the Ikea units.  I already have one unit there and I began by shifting up to one end of the central position under the station.

By this time, I had taken down two more shelves and an end frame.

However, there was a problem.  The opening under the baseboards was not quite long enough to fit the additional shelves.  I could mount the additional end frame beyond the right-hand set of braced legs, but the cross-brace would not allow the shelves to pass through.

So I decided to risk removing the cross-brace.  The problem with this is that, when I assembled the base boards, I used ‘glue and screw’ everywhere so, even if I removed the screws, I would still have to prize the ply sections apart.  However, I managed to do it without too much collateral damage and the legs were still very stiff without the cross-brace.  I was then able to fit the shelves on that side.

I moved everything across to the new shelves, which allowed me to transfer the existing shelves to the new position.  That left the original pair of frames free to insert the drawer unit that I had removed from the kitshen.

Now I will be able to store all the scenic materials and other items in the draws.  The additional shelf space should allow me to tidy up the baseboards nicely, ready for more scenic work.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1985 on: February 10, 2018, 06:49:39 pm »
It's amazing what we collect and then wonder why there's no room to store it all. Those shelves should allow you to collect a lot more stuff. :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1986 on: February 10, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »
It's amazing what we collect and then wonder why there's no room to store it all. Those shelves should allow you to collect a lot more stuff. :D
I think it's something to do with Parkinson!  (Cyril Northcote Parkinson, not Michael Parkinson)
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1987 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:18 pm »
Today, I did manage an early session.  I ran the next five sub-cycles, leaving five for later.  Everything ran well, apart from 9744 requiring a couple of nudges to get started from Platform 4 (out of five starts).  Then it was off to play table tennis.  We normally play on Monday, but for the next few weeks, with the kitchen work in progress, Sunday will be more convenient.

Afterwards, I continued to dismantle the kitchen Ikea shelf units and reassembled them in the loft as a convenient way of storing small items.  I wasn’t able to erect the tall units in the loft, but I had a couple of low side units that I was able to erect and add the shelves.  In the afternoon, I set about tip pruning the soft fruit (gooseberries, blackcurrants and blueberries) plus the small pear, plum and James Grieve apple.  The last three were all container trees but, when we moved here, we decided to plant them in the ground.  The pear did particularly well last year, although it will be many years before it can challenge our ancient (probably 150 years old) Hessle pear, which is certainly the best pear that anyone who has tasted it can recall.

Eventually I made it back to the Train Shed and finished the final five sub-cycles.  This time, everything was really good, apart from 6417 which, having made a perfect run from Norton to Shipton, had quite a few stalls on the return journey.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  Some days it is fine and on others it plays up.  I guess I will just have to get used to it.

In the end, there was no scenic work today.  However, I started to use the new shelf space and drawers to start tidying things away.  I also cleaned out the spout of one of my adhesive droppers.  Quite by chance, I have discovered that IPA will significantly soften PVA, once set.  The spout was completely blocked by PVA and nothing would shift it.  But a spot or two of IPA softened it significantly and, eventually, I was able to wedel it all out.

Things are much tidier now and, hopefully, I will be able to press on with the scenic work.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1988 on: February 12, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
Back Story (continued)
Monday 12/02/2018

Baron Tiverton has been researching the origin of the name Marton Hinmarche.  The ‘-ton’ ending of Marton almost certainly derives from the Old English for an enclosure, estate or simply a farm.  Marton is often taken to imply a settlement by a mere, lake or pool (from the old Nordic mær) but can also be interpreted as meaning a settlement near a boundary (from the old German mære).  There is no lake or mere in the vicinity of Marton and, indeed, it borders on an area of hills and valleys, so the latter appears to be more likely.

Hinmarche is usually interpreted as a derivation of ‘Hen Marsh’.  However, ‘Hin-’ may be a derivation of the more common ‘Hun-’, which in itself has several possible derivations.  The name ‘county’, a county being a shire or province, may derive from counting the number of days march either to cross it or to circumvent it.  Some counties were often known as marches, although it is possible that an individual march could be a subdivision of a county, possibly assigned to a nobleman.  The name ‘Earl’ probably derives from the term ‘ealdorman’, which was used before the reign of King Canute.  Today, it may live on in the provinces in the form of aldermen, senior members of local councils.  ‘Hinmarche’ may, possibly, be derived from Honey-march, but is more likely to have originally been Hunna’s March or Huna’s March, meaning the March belonging to Hunna, or possibly Huna’s people.

Marton Hinmarche is only about two miles from what is known as the Four Counties Stone.  So it is conveniently sited to have been close to a border.  It is also located on a roman road, so the idea of a day’s march for a roman soldier fits in with the concept of a march in the sense of a subdivision of a county.  It is because of its location that its railway sees such a diversity of locomotives and trains on a regular basis.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1989 on: February 12, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
I had a very mixed running session today.  First off, 5744 needed a nudge to start from Platform 4, but the real problem was 45572 ‘Eire’ which was running slowly on curves with wheel slip again.  I ran a roundy with 80119 with not much improvement.  In the end, I decided that the problem had only occurred after I swapped the maroon buffet for one of the new restaurant cars.  I swapped it back again and there was an immediate improvement.  I am a bit disappointed, particularly after the resistance problems with the Farish vans.  Anyway, all’s well again now.

92006 had a hiccup at Point 4, the final exit from the UP loops and 80119 had another London Road Bridge incident, but I managed to make a nice video of Sub-cycle 13c.  First you see 6417 emerge with a branch goods from Norton and make its way round to Platform 4.  Then Dicheat Manor, in charge of a DOWN parcels train rushes out of Gatsby Tunnel and decelerates to halt in Platform 2.  After that, 64960 pulls slowly away from the Milk Loop and crosses over onto the UP main, eventually disappearing into Gatsby Tunnel.  Then 6417 departs from Platform 4 on its way to Shipton and, finally, Dicheat Manor sets off from Platform 2, disappearing into Oakwood Tunnel.

On its return leg, 6417 required a nudge to get it started from the Shipton Loops, but otherwise ran OK.  However, on the very next sub-cycle, 5744 just would not run on the DOWN leg of the branch despite the fact the 6417 had just run on that leg without a problem.  I gave the leg a good clean with clean dry card and that seemed to do the trick.  However, on the very next leg, it needed a prod to start from Platform 4, but after that it was OK.  However, Tiverton Castle needed a prod to get it started from Loop 12, but it had stopped much further round than normal, because I had increased its top speed slightly before its last run to get it up to XP passenger speed.  So, when all the running was complete, I invoked Rule 55 and slightly decreased its deceleration time.  That did the trick and it now stops in the right place again.

After that I added one or two small bushes to the Gatsby Tunnel structure.

Then I made some adjustments to the ground on the non-town side of London Road Bridge, ready for adding the Shaper Sheet Plaster.

I tried to improve one of the Farish vans while running the sub-cycles today.  I removed its wheels and tried a little graphite powder, but it only seemed to make it worse.  So I removed the wheels again, cleaned off the powder and tried a tiny spot of Dapol oil.  That was worse still, so I think I will have accept that they are only of use on short trains.

After today’s exploits, tomorrow will be a track cleaning day, but I may just clean it with clean dry card to see how that goes.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1990 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:52 pm »
First thing this morning I set about cleaning the tracks.  I started by removing the tunnels, together with the station buildings and cleaning all the tracks on the layout (that is everything between the throat points at each set of hidden loops).  I thought I would try using just clean dry card to see how well that works.  Then I moved all the trains out of the UP loops to leave them empty, ready for cleaning.  Here’s a picture of the empty loops.

Then it was time for the gym.  Afterwards, it was our usual weekly trip to Sainsbury’s for our groceries and then it was all hands to the pumps in the kitchen.  One of the fitters is coming first thing in the morning to remove some of the redundant units, so we had to empty them and ensure that the fitter would have good access.  This meant packing everything away in boxes, ensuring that we could still access all the essentials for cooking and food preparation.  While all this was going on, a package arrived with the new fish vans I had ordered from Dapol.

Then it was on with the cleaning cycle.  The first thing I did, before cleaning the UP loops, was to inspect them carefully to look for poor joint alignments.  Fortunately, there were none, but one of the arms of the branch Norton loops had lifted from the Copydex and so I drilled a tiny hole in one of the sleepers and used a track pin to secure it.  After cleaning the UP loops, I began to move everything out of the DOWN loops.  The last movement was 92006 with the fish train, so I took the opportunity to add the new fish vans.

I repeated the track checks on the DOWN loop complex and found two loops where the track had lifted from the Copydex.  It took three track pins to secure it all and then it was on to cleaning.  After it was all finished, I moved all the trains back to their home loops and set all the points ready for the start of the next timetable. 

There were one or two hiccups during the train movements between cleaning sessions.  Firstly, both 6417 and 9744 objected to the newly cleaned branch down leg.  But I recleaned it and everything was then fine.  Then Eire stopped suddenly when entering Up Loop 3.  I had to try it a couple of times but, after that it was OK.  Then 92006’s train decoupled while entering the DOWN loops, but this may have been caused by my addition of the new fish vans.  Finally, 45206 started playing up really badly and, on examination, I found that one of its rear traction tyres was missing again and the other had delaminated.  I put these faults to rights and 45206 was perfection again. In addition, Liverpool’s bogie again derailed at Point 33, while running flat out.  But when I ran it at normal starting speed, it was OK.  It looks as though there is a gradient on one of the rails approaching the point, probably caused by the track cutting process.  I will have to see if I can correct this at some time in the future.

Next time, I will be using the modified timetable, where the parcels train shares DOWN loop 17 with the shorter of the local passenger trains, headed by 46443.  If that works out alright, it will give me scope to make further timetable modifications.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1991 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:06 pm »
THat is certainly a very impressive fish train now.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1992 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:38 pm »

Yes, indeed. I make it 18 white Insulfish vans plus 4 Ice Blue (the post-1963 BR livery for insulated vans and containers) Insulated Vans. I'll post the 4 duplicate white Insulfish vans, to you, tomorrow, Laurence, bringing the grand total to 22 plus 4. Now I know why you have your 9F allocated to this train! In real life, it would, probably, have had some white (or Ice Blue) Insulated Containers on Conflats, too. I envy you the room to run such long trains.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1993 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:57 am »

Yes, indeed. I make it 18 white Insulfish vans plus 4 Ice Blue (the post-1963 BR livery for insulated vans and containers) Insulated Vans. I'll post the 4 duplicate white Insulfish vans, to you, tomorrow, Laurence, bringing the grand total to 22 plus 4. Now I know why you have your 9F allocated to this train! In real life, it would, probably, have had some white (or Ice Blue) Insulated Containers on Conflats, too. I envy you the room to run such long trains.
They used to rush over the girder bridge that carried the Great Central over the West Coast Mainline at Rugby.  The 9Fs used to clank vigorously at XP freight speeds.  I don't remember any conflats on them, but I probably wasn't looking that hard.  In those days, the Great Central was the express freight route from the North to the South, avoiding both London and Birmingham.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1994 on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:32 am »
Yesterday was such a hectic day that I had no time to write up my progress, which had to wait until this morning.  It all began with the first visit from a kitchen fitter to remove the units from the kitchen which would not fit into the new plan.  So I was able to make only four timetable sub-cycles before he arrived, three involving 9744.  It seems that cleaning the track made no difference to 9744, which need a prod to start from the DOWN loops on both of its UP runs and also to get it started from Platform 4 on all three.  In addition, it had a disastrous fit of stalling on the DOWN leg of the branch on its way back to Shipton.  As if that weren’t enough, Dicheat Manor required a prod to get started from UP Loop 6, Forthampton Grange required another to get it started from UP Loop 2 and 80119 had a big stall at Point 25 on its way out of the Down loops on its second run.

In the afternoon, we had to run the U3A table tennis group, which meant that most of the afternoon was unavailable for Train Shed duties.  To cap it all, we had bought tickets to see a live relay of Twelfth Night from Stratford, which meant I could only manage a few more minutes in the Train Shed before it was time to go.  This time, I was able to run another four sub-cycles, where 9744 managed to start from Platform 4 on its own on all three of its runs but needed a prod to start from the loops on its first two.  In addition it threw its toys out of the pram twice at Point 43, but then ran perfectly well on its final run.  There were two other incidents.  Firstly, I had missed the step of resetting the points into the goods depot after the local goods entered and so poor 80119 had the ignominy of running into the rear of the train.  That was simply operator error and was soon corrected.

However, at the start of the final sub-cycle, 3846 suddenly stopped and would not respond, no matter what I did.  I remembered that, many months ago, a similar incident had occurred when a loco (which one I forget) had the same problem.  The cause was that its loco ID had become corrupted in its decoder.  So I had to dig out the programming track and connect it up to the controller.  I reprogrammed it to its correct value of ID 3 and that sorted it out.  The fault occurred at the same time as I sent an instruction to 9744, so I can only assume that, somehow, the controller must have sent an erroneous message to 3846, causing it to change its ID to something else.

Anyway, the play was first class (as usual) and I have been able to write everything up this morning.  Let’s see what today brings.  I am waiting for a delivery of kiln dried logs, so I should be able to catch up with the timetable and, hopefully get something done on the scenic front.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations