!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 143022 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1965 on: February 04, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
Hi there Laurence sorry to hear you are still having problems with track running. One thing that does worry me is you mentioning squeezing track joiners to renew power. With dcc it is not a good idea to rely on track joiners for good power connections, you can not beat the tried and tested Power to every piece of track. I know its a pain so many track feeds but it works, you can after fit some extra feeds if needed it just needs a little care. I must admit I made the same mistake has you when I laid the track for my last layout, plus it was a complicated junction too ( two double crossovers )which did not help, I learned my lesson with this one and took more care. Its fairly easy to add some extra feeds, drill a small hole between sleepers next to the track, tin side of the rail and thread your tinned pickup wire up through the hole and touch with the iron to the track, you can disguise it with some track ballast and paint the joint.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:50:00 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1966 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:32 am »
Thanks Chris.  I totally agree, but I would need about 150 pairs for droppers to feed every piece of track including the fifty points.  These problems are rare but, where they do occur, they usually involve a very short piece of track, so perhaps the answer would be to add droppers wherever a problem occurs.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1967 on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:07 pm »
Well, as I have said before, a day is a long time in railway modelling.  I didn’t get much time in the Train Shed first thing because we had a U3A committee meeting and I had quite a bit of preparatory work to do first.  But I did manage to run the first three post-cleaning sub-cycles of the timetable.  And everything (well, practically everything) ran like a dream.  6417 had a minor cough on the exit from the Norton loops, but otherwise, ran perfectly.  9744 also ran extremely well, although there was a hint of irregularity in its motor hum at first.  Even better, Point 23, on which I had given up yesterday, worked perfectly well today.

After the committee meeting I had some more U3A work before yet another very brief operating session.  This was because we had decided to go to the Cinema this afternoon to see ‘Darkest Hour’.  But I was able to run two more sub-cycles.  This time Forthampton Grange stopped at Point 33, which it has done before and is where 64960 encountered a problem yesterday.  But a very small prod was enough to get it going again.  I have made a note to add a pair of droppers to the short (50mm long) section of track preceding the points.  Otherwise, everything ran perfectly again.

After the cinema trip, there was just enough time to run one last sub-cycle before tea.  Once again, 6417 had a stall at the start, this time from the Shipton loops, but it ran well thereafter.  Even better news.  Although 64960 needed a little encouragement to get started from UP loop 8, it then ran flawlessly all the way into the goods platform, without any sign of a problem negotiating Point 33.

There was no time for any scenic work today and I am behind with the operational timetable.  But tomorrow, I should have more time to catch up with the timetable and even get to do some scenic work.  I would like to get started with the airbrush, even if it’s only practice, but we will have to wait to see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1968 on: February 05, 2018, 07:49:25 pm »
I'm glad that the trains are running much better, now, Laurence.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a particular set of pliers for removing / tightening rail joiners? I ask because I do not have any delicate pliers and will need to slide back rail joiners to lift a point and replace it, later. Also a short stretch of track. So, I need to know what to order.

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1969 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »
@Innovationgame
Laurence, I appreciate your very descriptive description of how your day went, but you did not tell us the important bit - what was the film like?  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1970 on: February 05, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »
I'm glad that the trains are running much better, now, Laurence.

Do you (or anyone else reading this) have a particular set of pliers for removing / tightening rail joiners? I ask because I do not have any delicate pliers and will need to slide back rail joiners to lift a point and replace it, later. Also a short stretch of track. So, I need to know what to order.
I use a pair of small, electrical, snipe nosed pliers with angled jaws.  This is the sort of thing
https://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/jewellery-and-tools/10615--bent-nose-pliers-1pc?utm_campaign=google_shopping_cw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuDTBRDUARIsAL41eDolhgdwAijJixglNV4hhvaY79olP6IW7f_6-w15mOpCFJabzFJ-1BMaAt3qEALw_wcB
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1971 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:12 pm »
@Innovationgame
Laurence, I appreciate your very descriptive description of how your day went, but you did not tell us the important bit - what was the film like?  :)
It was great.  Celia's cousin, who was a history professor at Oxford, used to tell us about Churchill and his daily routine and the film matched that to a tee.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1972 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »
@Innovationgame

Don’t know about Laurence, but we saw it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Gary Oldman was impressive with his portrayal of Churchill.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:16:49 pm by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1973 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:47 pm »
I’m afraid there are no pictures again today and no scenic work was done.  But I did manage to catch up with the operational timetable schedule.  I was able to get down to the Train Shed reasonably early this morning and ran no less than eight timetable sub-cycles.  Panier tank 9744 had a couple of instances of needing a prod to get started from Platform 4 and another couple to start from the Norton loops.  Apart from that, 45573 ‘Eire’ needed a small prod to get started from UP loop 3.  Otherwise, everything ran nice and smoothly.

After the gym and Sainsburys, we had to clear out the garage to make room for the range cooker that is being delivered tomorrow.  I had to move our small trailer outside and, with the car out as well, we had a good sweep up, something that’s been long overdue.  I also did a coffin swap.  These are not the coffins that take bodies, but plastic ones that I for storing our kindling.  Unfortunately, the latest batch of kindling is not as dry as it could be, so lighting the log burner this evening was a little more interesting than usual. 

During these activities, I had to refill the log basket and managed to leave a bit of a mess in two or three places around the house.  That called for the Dustbuster from the Train Shed and, while fetching it and returning it, I managed another three sub-cycles.  9744 had only one need of a prod, but Dicheat Manor required a prod to start from UP loop 6 and Eire managed a stop/start at Point 30.  I will need to keep my eye on that point because it has caused such misbehaviour on several occasions in the past.

Finally, I ran the last three sub-cycles of the second full timetable cycle.  9744 required one prod from Platform 4 and 3846, with the mineral train, required a prod after a stop on the DOWN leg of the UP line, but this might have been because of a bogie derailment, because another, unused, loco suddenly appeared on the console, which is normally and indication that a short circuit has occurred.  Also, 64960, executed an involuntary stop-go at Point 28, but then ran on OK.

So, all in all, given that it was a long running sequence, there were only a few minor irritations.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to have another go at the scenic work.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1974 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:31 pm »
A Dustbuster is a great excuse for escaping to the train shed. It must have been difficult to find if you were able to run a few sub-cycles!  :hmmm:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1975 on: February 07, 2018, 06:41:24 am »
A Dustbuster is a great excuse for escaping to the train shed. It must have been difficult to find if you were able to run a few sub-cycles!  :hmmm:
Well I did manage to manufacture a few minutes.  I had left the controller on, so it was just a question of setting a few points are setting things off while I looked for the Dustbuster. :wave: I ran one while I was looking for it and two when I took it back and plugged it in to recharge it.  I did say I was good at time stealing.  :)
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1976 on: February 07, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »
I had two really good running sessions today.  The first one was fairly brief because I started with a lot of U3A chores and then had to wait in for the new cooker to be delivered.  I didn’t go to the gym because of the impending delivery.  During that time, I ran the first four sub-cycles very successfully, with only a tiny prod required for 9744 from Platform 4 (out of a total of four departures).

We have ordered a new range cooker because that is what we are used to and, since moving here, we have had to put up with a built-in double oven, which is difficult for Celia to use, partly because she is not very tall and partly because she finds the operation a bit painstaking.  We are having our kitchen reconfigured with new doors, a re-arrangement of the layout and some new units, so this was an ideal opportunity to install the new cooker.

After the delivery of the cooker, I had some more U3A chores and then Celia arrived home for coffee.  After that, I managed to complete the remaining six sub-cycles.  In the whole of that time, including the early session, the only loco issues were that 9744 twice needed a small prod to start from Platform 4 and Ditcheat Manor needed a very small prod to start it from DOWN Loop 18.  So I managed to run the entire third full timetable cycle very successfully. 

However, 92006 was struggling again with the express freight.  I used my Rule 55 sheet and set up for a circuit for 92006.  I then checked each freight van individually.  The Dapol Blue Spot fish fans are extremely free running.  But three of the four types of Farish van have for too much rolling resistance.  Even the others are not too good.  I have tried both graphite powder and Dapol oil on the wheel bearings, without success.  I even tried a small prising apart to see if that would decrease the resistance, but to no avail.  In the end, I shortened the fish train and I will have to order some more Dapol fish vans.  The other vans have been distributed around the layout.  I added two to the branch goods and two to the local goods, which is now at the maximum length that can be accommodated by the goods platform.  So I put two more in the goods yard.

The other four were parked in the Milk Loop headshunt.

After that, I did manage a very small amount of scenic work.  I added a couple of bushes to the Oakwood tunnels.

I also added a bush to the Gatsby Tunnels but, unfortunately, the picture was out of focus, so I will have to show that again on another occasion.

Baron Tiverton has been researching local history and, with any luck, I will post his findings in the next few days.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1977 on: February 07, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
Hi Lawrence,

I have a duplicate rake of 4 VGC boxed Dapol Fish Vans bought at bargain prices:

NB-051E INSUL-FISH 12T Blue Spot Fish Van, BR White: No. E87221
NB-051F INSUL-FISH 12T Blue Spot Fish Van, BR White: No. E87009
NB-051G INSUL-FISH 12T Blue Spot Fish Van, BR White: No. E87242
NB-051H INSUL-FISH 12T Blue Spot Fish Van, BR White: No. E87324

If you would like to buy them, at cost, please, PM me and I'll post them off to you as soon as the parcel containing them arrives in a week or so. If any do not run freely, I'll refund you the cost.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1978 on: February 08, 2018, 07:11:47 pm »
Today should have seen some progress on the scenic front.  I had hoped to start my airbrush practise, but events conspired against me.  Thursday is normally our day out and today we were off to Normanby Hall Country Park in North Lincolnshire.  We were making a slightly delayed start, as compared with our normal departure time, so I had a reasonably long session in the Train Shed.  However, unfortunately, on the very first sub-cycle, 45572 ‘Eire’ really struggled.  It made a horrendous grinding noise and its performance was reminiscent of the problem I had with the traction tyres of 45206.  I tried tail chasing Eire with 80119, but it was still a big problem.  I lifted it and examined the tender drive wheels.  At first, I though one of the traction tyres had come loose, but I think it must have been a illusion because, when I tried to replace it, I found it was still in place.  I invoked Rule 55 and ran it around as a light engine, which seemed OK, but the load caused a similar behaviour to the that experienced by 92006 with a full load, with it struggling on the curves, even when its train was on the straight.  I surmised that it might just be poor adhesion caused by some of the bearing oil from the XP freight vans dripping onto the track yesterday.  So I cleaned the affected curves with dry card and then tried running again.  There was an immediate improvement, so I carried on with the running.

In all, I managed to run five sub-cycles in that early session, and the only issues were all minor, the worst being a bogie derailment of 61664 ‘Liverpool’ at Point 33.  It has done this once before, but I suspect that the derailment must have occurred earlier and, on reaching Point 33, it caused a short circuit, stopping the whole layout in its tracks.  9744 needed a small prod to start from Platform 4 on one occasion.

Our outing was very productive in that we have discovered somewhere quite close by that we would like to visit on a regular basis.  They had quite a lot of snowdrops in the wooded areas and there is clearly quite a lot to see and a lot of walks, so we are already looking forward to our next trip when, hopefully, there won’t be the same biting cold wind.

Later, I managed another session, without any serious problem, other than the fact that 6417 had a few blips on its return run.  However, I managed to manufacture a big problem all by myself.  Earlier, I had added an extra coach to Forthampton Grange’s train to increase it to an eight-coach train.  This is because I had a few spare coaches, particularly after the arrival of the two RUs.  I had a plan to incease some of the other passenger train lengths.  On the last but one sub-cycle, I stopped 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman and added a second full restaurant car.  But it struggled to cope with the load and began running very slowly on the curves.  So, at the end of the running session, I invoked Rule 55 and began to investigate.  First, I removed the extra coach, but it was still problematical.  I gave it a few circuits, which then returned its performance to normal, so it seems that twelve coaches is probably the limit for the layout.

I then ran another Rule 55 session to check on Eire, which was not completely out of the woods.  It needed a few circuits but, eventually, its performance returned to normal.  Phew!

By this time, there wasn’t enough time to progress the scenic work, but I took a picture of the new bush on Gatsby tunnel to make up for the out of focus one that I couldn’t show yesterday.

I really do want to start on airbrush practise tomorrow, so let’s hope that things go more smoothly.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1979 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:45 pm »
Although today is a domestic jobs day, I had a flying start because I had done quite a few of them first thing yesterday morning.  We were expecting the electrician to call this afternoon, so I had a good session in the Train Shed this morning.  I managed to complete the first full timetable cycle with everything running pretty well.  The branch goods, in the charge of 6417, had a small hiccup on its first outrun and another on its second outrun, but it kept going and was otherwise well behaved.  Forthampton Grange needed a slight prod to start from cold in UP loop 2, but again ran well thereafter.  Both the long-distance goods trains had pony truck derailment problems, but these are known problems that I may be able to solve eventually.  In the final analysis, if I am unable to solve the problems, I will wait until the Farish Stanier 8f becomes available.  I could use two of them because, in addition to a large load capacity, they had quite a turn of speed.  I once caught the 12 noon from Euston (at Coventry) and the normal Jubilee was piloted, not by the usual Class 5 but by an 8F.  One of my fellow enthusiasts said he was sure the con rods were glowing as we sped down the incline from Beechwood Tunnel.

After Coffee, I finally managed to get started with the air brush.  First, I began with neat water, spraying in straight lines to get the hang of it.  Then I loaded a small amount of burnt sienna acrylic paint and practised on a sheet of paper.

The fuzzy area on the right was spraying from a distance to produce a weathered effect and the motif on the right was spraying a short range.  I worked at a low pressure of 15psi.  I then did a bit of diffuse spraying on the far side of Oakwood Tunnels.

I then touched up Gatsby Tunnels with a little burnt sienna, covering the bright green at the edges and creating some earthy patches.

I never did get around to showing a picture of the compressor, so here it is.

It runs very quietly, pressurising the tank to upwards of 60psi.  There is a pressure gauge and a regulator valve, so that the output pressure can be per-set. On advice from George Dent’s book, I have been spraying at 15psi.  The compressor is very quiet and simply cuts in every now and then to maintain the pressure in the reservoir tank.  Here’s the airbrush in its cleaning pot.

Finally, I applied some more grass patches to Oakwood tunnels and then added the remaining piece of backscene behind the tunnel structure.

With any luck, I will be able to press on with the scenic activity tomorrow, but I still want to try to run a compete timetable cycle each day, to ensure that every loco is run at least once every day.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations