!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 112143 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1950 on: January 30, 2018, 08:50:21 pm »
Hi Laurence,

I've just finished reading this thread from the very beginning. Awesome work so far! Thanks for sharing such detailed progress reports.

- Andy

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1951 on: January 30, 2018, 09:11:21 pm »
I've identified two sets of acrylics that might be useful.

1. Com-Art Scenery Paint Set
2 Com-Art Weathering Paint Set

Each has ten 30ml bottles (not all green ones!).  Does that sound about right?
I think that a primary set instead of the weathering set would be more appropriate for the scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1952 on: January 30, 2018, 09:56:16 pm »
Hi Laurence, yes the scenery set is the same has the one I have, my bottles say 1oZ on though.....he...he. Yes they are good for starting with, you can spray before putting your scatter down. I just glue bits of folliage down with pva direct, I have quite a bit of the woodland scenics stuff you use for trees etc. I try to vary the colours a bit by mixing them up, If you want to add a few small trees you need to make a small hole fill it with pva and plant your tree. You can also sprinkle some scatter over your bushes then spray with your wifes hairsray. On second thoughts you better buy your own, I got strange looks off my wife when she saw it in my bag. Do not forget to get some of that Medea Airbrush cleaner, its really good stuff and stops your airbrush getting blocked,I run it through has soon has I have stopped spraying the paint.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:58:28 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1953 on: January 31, 2018, 06:54:20 am »
Thanks Chris.  I'll order some.  You are correct, they are 1 oz pots, but 1oz = 30ml approx (28.34952 if you're into micrograms), but some manufacturers make 30ml pots.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:53:39 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1954 on: January 31, 2018, 12:11:24 pm »
Thanks to Martin, I have now managed to modify the name of the thread.  I now have on order several things for the scenery.

1.     3-in-1Airbrush-Cleaning-Pot-Strong-Glass-Airbrush-Stand-Station-Filters-Cleaner
2.     RailMatch 3250 Acrylic Paint Spray Thinners 250ml Plastic Bottle
3.     Model Scenery Supplies - various bits of foliage
4.     Acrylic Paints
            a    Com-Art Kit A Opaque Primary (COM-8-100-1)
            b    Com-Art Real Deal Scenery Paint Set (COM-8-100-16)
5.     Airbrushing for Railway Modellers Paperback by George Dent

So I should be able to get cracking soon.  Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:41:43 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online ColinH

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #1955 on: January 31, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »
Hope you have a mask with suitable filters as well Laurence. Amazing how much paint gets up your nose without one.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1956 on: January 31, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
Hope you have a mask with suitable filters as well Laurence. Amazing how much paint gets up your nose without one.

I can confirm that, in my (not so distant) youth I was re-spraying a bass guitar, purple, without a mask (because young and reckless)

I had purple snot and bogies for weeks afterwards!

I bought a mask before doing the bike frame!

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1957 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »
Well, after all my efforts to get things in place to start some serious modelling, I didnít get any done at all today.  First thing, I had a fairly meaty early running session.  After yesterdayís shenanigans with 80119, I decided that I would go straight into the next set of timetable cycles without any track cleaning, on the basis that the irregular running that occasionally occurs is not a function of the track and will probably cure itself after a little running.  Looking back, I cannot be sure that anything I have done has made any difference and there is no evidence that things didnít get better despite my efforts.

I managed to run the first six sub-cycles of the new timetable.  The first four ran really well, apart from a couple of coughs by 6417.  However, on the next (2b) 5744 realy threw its toys out of the pram.  It was OK until it reached Platform 4 and then it stopped.  I had difficulty getting it into Platform 4 and starting it again was a real problem, to say nothing of trying to keep it running.  So when I reached the end of the sub-cycle, I decided to do what I did with 80119 yesterday.  I tried to run it back, but it was difficult to start.  So I removed its train and ran it as a light engine.  After two runs to Norton and back, it seemed OK again, so I hooked up its train and, sure enough, it was now OK.  I was then able to finish off with the next sub-cycle and 6417 ran impeccably.

Then it was off to the gym and later I did a small amount of garden jobs, but it was bitterly cold in the wind and my hands became blue.  I might have been snowballing, for thatís how they looked and felt.  In the end, I returned to the train shed and began another running session.  But with the lack of scenery progress, I decided to create another video, this time of Sub-cycle 3b.

First the rejuvenated 9744 emerges from the Gatsby branch tunnel, enroute from Shipton to Marton with its ĎBí set.  Then 46443 exits the Oakwood Tunnel with its local passenger of four suburban coaches from Leamington Spa.  Eventually, 3846 chuffs out of the Oakwood main tunnel with a slow train of empty mineral wagons.  We follow the course of all three until they disappear into the tunnels at the other end of the layout.  As you can see, 9744 was, by this time, back to its normal good behaviour and 3846 passes very slowly through the station.

I didnít get much else done, other than to finish the remaining sub-cycles, all without event, other than 9744 being a bit reluctant to start from the Shipton loops.  I am expecting at least one delivery tomorrow, so we will see what we will see.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1958 on: February 01, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »
Itís been a real mixed bag of a day today.  First thing, I intended to run the first four sub-cycles of the second full cycle.  The first two ran flawlessly, apart from the fact that, yesterday, I had backed 3846ís train to check the loop clearance for the front buffer beam but forgotten to move it forward again.  So 80119 ran slap into the back of its brake van because it overlapped the points that switched it onto the adjacent track.  Finger trouble!!  Then, on the next sub-cycle, first, 9744 requied a prod to get it going from Platform 4 and then 80119 stalled, first under the London Road Bridge and then repeatedly on its way round to the UP loops.  So I used the methodology that I developed last time and ran it in a roundy with Liverpool until I was satisfied that all was well again.  It took three circuits this time to get it back to normal. 

After that, I had to walk into Hessle for a haircut.  After I returned we had coffee and then I recommenced running.  The next two sub-cycles went without incident and then it was the turn of 9744 to play up again.  I tried running it back and forth on the branch, but without success.  So I invoked my Rule 55 sheet and set up a roundy for it on the mainline.  At first it was a real problem, particularly running forwards.  I gave the inside of the drivers a good wipe with the tiny Track Magic brush and tried it again, bunker first.  This time it improved and became well behaved again.  Then I tried it forwards and it took a little running, but once again returned to normal. 

Thursday is normally our day out, but because of the hairdressing appointments, instead, we treated ourselves to a long lazy lunch out.  On our return, it was back to the Train Shed.  The next three sub-cycles passed without incident, other than 3846 stopping short in the UP loops, which was probably caused by the wrong throttle settings.  9744 also required a prod in Platform 4 and stopped short in the DOWN loops.  Iíll obviously have to keep my eye on it.  The final sub-cycle ran perfectly.

While we were out I had three deliveries.  The first was the book ĎAirbrushing for Railway Modellersí which Iím now reading avidly, between times.  The other two were the acrylic paints and the thinners that I ordered.

That still leaves the foliage and the cleaning pot, both of which have been dispatched.  Then I had another bit of good news.  Back in October 2016, I pre-ordered two rhubarb and custard buffet cars from Hattons.  They have just sent me an Email to say they are packed and ready for dispatch.  I donít have anything else on pre-order.  The Prairie that I ordered is still not available and I cancelled it when I purchased 46443, the beautiful little Ivatt mogul that runs like a dream.  I await the rest of the deliveries and will pursue the book with interest, so that I can start practising with my airbrush.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1959 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:12 pm »
Today was a funny sort of day.  Friday is the day for my weekly jobs (vehicle checks, backups, clean hob, etc.) but today was even more tedious because it is the beginning of the month and I had some monthly jobs as well (check boiler pressure, clean out washing machine, etc.).  However, before I could start those, I had to do some booking because we are going to a family party in Romford at the beginning of next month.  The idea is to go down on the Saturday, go to the party, stay one night and return on Sunday.  I booked the hotel without too much trouble, but then I tried to book the trains, which was our preferred mode of transport. 

One of the problems was getting across London with a suitcase and the other was getting to the Hotel.  In the end, I decided that a taxi was the best way to get to Liverpool Street from Kings Cross because I didnít want to have to lump a suitcase around on the underground.  It was with some difficulty that I managed to locate the taxi rank for Romford station, so I then set about booking the trains and guess what.  The Saturday and Sunday services from Liverpool Street are replaced by a bus service, taking nearly an hour and a half instead of 20 minutes.  I eventually found that we could go to Fenchurch Street and take a train to Upminster, but it was all getting a bit silly.  So I have put that on hold and we may just drive down.

Eventually, I decided on the Train Shed and put the jobs on hold until after coffee.  I ran the next six sub-cycles.  9744 behaved reasonably well with the occasional need for a prod but, otherwise ran OK.  There were two other small incidents.  First, 46443, which has always been beautifully reliable and smooth, need a prod to get started first time out from Loop 17.  But it continued to run beautifully thereafter.  Perhaps I am reaching the stage when I need to run a cleaning cycle at the end of this full timetable.  I am currently running the fifth complete timetable since the last cleaning session, so it may well be time to act.  By the end of it I will have completed 190 timetabled runs in each direction on the main line, plus additional roundies, and 100 return runs on the branch.  The other incident was the 3846 suddenly started stopping, particularly on points.  I noticed that one of its traction tyres had come adrift and was able to lift it and rethread it with a couple of pairs of fine tweezers.

Then it was coffee followed by chores, which I didnít finish until early afternoon.  I have printed out some more Rule 55 Sheets because my original one is now full.

Before I had finished the chores, I had a delivery.  The two MK1 RUs arrived.  At the moment, I have two full restaurant cars one on each of the express trains, but no kitchen car.  So combining each with and RU means that there is now means to cook the food.

I added one of the RUs to the express hauled by Royal Ulster Rifleman and it can seen here, the fifth coach, immediately behind the full restaurant car.

The next sub-cycle wasnít too bad.  6417 had a couple of wobbles, but nothing that required human intervention.  However, on the next one, both 80119 and 9744 played up really badly.  I cured 80119 by running a few tail chases with Forthampton Grange and 9744 was subjected to a couple of return runs on the branch.  That seemed to do the trick, although on the final sub-cycle, 6417 had several coughs, without actually coming to rest.

After that I touched up the edges of the Gatsby tunnel structure with some sienna to cover the bright green that I had added several days ago.  Then I beat a retreat for a cup of tea.  I found a card indicating that there was another parcel in the shed and found a box containing the bushes that I had ordered.  I have stuck one small clump onto the Oakwood tunnel structure and I will see what it looks like in the morning.

I spent some time reading the airbrush book and I have been getting to know one of the airbrushes, although I havenít yet tried it out in anger.  One of the suggestions in the book is to start by experimenting with water onto paper to get the hang of the operating lever and spay distance.  I donít want to start using paint yet because I am still waiting for my airbrush cleaning pot arrives.  I thought it had got lost because it should have arrived by now and when I tried to track it down the eBay ID failed and the item was marked as ĎRemoved from sellerís websiteí.  I had difficulty in raising a case because the ID from the order notification kept bouncing.  Eventually I did find it and it had only been dispatched on Wednesday and was marked as in the courierís depot today.  I hope it comes soon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1960 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:08 pm »
Today, Iíve made an executive decision about running.  Originally, I designed the timetable to allow three trains to run at once, which is all very well for external observers, such as would be present at an exhibition.  However, the layout is firmly entrenched in the Train Shed and it would be very difficult to extract it in its present form.  So, the timetable is really for my benefit (and any invited guests).  Now, running three trains at once is quite demanding and it is easy to get things in the wrong order and finish up by stopping trains that should still be running and, worse, not stopping trains that should be stopped.  Worse still, it means that I am concentrating so hard on getting things to happen at the right time and in the right place that I actually miss most of the train watching.  So for now, at least, I am going to run each train sequentially, allowing me to get the same pleasure out of watching the trains that I would have when I watched them in the 1950s.  I shall still have three trains in, or passing through, the station at the same time, but they will arrive one after the other and depart one after the other, with each travelling after the previous one has stopped.  In reality, this is more like the original prototype, when simultaneously running trains was more the exception that the rule.  I tried this today and it made the running much more enjoyable.

Which brings me round to todays happenings.  Last thing yesterday, I fixed a clump of blackberry bushes to the Oakwood Tunnels, which I photographed today.

Then I set about running the first four sub-cycles of the last complete operational cycle.  There were several hitches this morning, which indicates that it is probably time to clean the track again.  Both 9744 and 6417 had multiple stop/start episodes and 80119 had a couple of hiccups as well.  In addition, 45572, ĎEireí, stopped at Point 30, something it did a couple of days ago.  Up until recently, it has always behaved perfectly.

Then it was time to go into Hessle to the butcherís.  It was cold and raining so, once again, we decided to take the car.  When I got the car out of the garage, I noticed a package on the front door step.  Guess what, it was the airbrush cleaning pot that had gone missing.  The dear old Yodel agent must have left it last night without knocking or ringing the doorbell.  The box was damaged but, fortunately, the contents were sound.  Hereís a picture I took later, with one of the airbrushes in it.

As we had the car, we took the opportunity to visit Hobbycraft, where Celia hoped to by some more inserts for her card making.  They used to be quite easy to get hold of but, increasingly, they are becoming much more difficult to find.  In the end, she wasnít able to find any, but she did get hold of a couple of other things.  However, I was able to buy three things:  a small easel to practise my airbrushing techniques, a pot of artistís blue masking, for use with the airbrushes and some cheap pipettes.

At one oíclock, the Davis Cup transmission began, but it soon became apparent that there would be a Davis Cup Brexit, so I moseyed down to the Train Shed to carry on with the running and, hopefully, have another go at scenic work.  Every sub-cycle thereafter entailed snags with 9744 or 6417.  In addition, 46122 ĎRoyal Ulster Riflemaní needed a prod to get it started from the UP loops, so the next big job is definitely going to be track cleaning.  When I had finished, I invoked Rule 55 and set the points to allow 9744 and 6417 to tail chase around the mainline.  I canít say that it was altogether successful.  I even tried blowing out any foreign particles, from the two using one of the new airbrushes on low pressure (15psi) without its paint pot.  Things did get marginally better, but it was only when they ran around double-headed that they were able to keep going reliably.  I hope the track cleaning will make a difference.  There is obviously a resistance problem, at least with 9744.  Sometimes when I gave it a prod, it rushed away at full speed, which indicates that the decoder must have been getting a signal and implemented the acceleration, even though there was no current through the motor coils.

But thatís for tomorrow.  I then turned my attention to the foliage packs.  I have added some foliage to the edges of the Oakwood Tunnels complex to hide the joins between the grass area and the walls, masking the bare ply where it showed.

I donít think it looks too bad, although I will get a better idea tomorrow.  Basically, I cut small pieces of foliage lump of various shades of green and fixed them in place with PVA.  Hereís a picture from the sort of angle that a viewer might see. 

Tomorrow will be a track cleaning day and Iíll have to see if I can get around to practising with my airbrush.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1961 on: February 03, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
That seems to be a sound decision Laurence.
I find just sitting and watching the trains very relaxing so the simpler the better.
The scenery is starting to look good. Are you intending to utilise static grass?
Iíve always been somewhat sceptical about static grass but inspired by Kevin (Phoenix) and his lovely Windmill Hill micro layout, Iím looking into ordering a starter kit from WWS so that I can give it a go on Tregonning.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1962 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:48 pm »
I still have a niggling feeling your running issues are down to the cold or small amounts of condensation, Laurence. Then again, I know nothing of how locos or DCC might be affected as I keep all my DC locos indoors.
Have you tried a control experiment of taking one or two locos into the house overnight and trying them the next day?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #1963 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:23 pm »
FWIW last summer we had air conditioning installed in the bedrooms including the one used for the railway and it made a noticeable difference to the running and meant a lot less track cleaning, expensive option I know but it seems to work and also means I can now work on the railway during the hot summer here.   ;)

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1964 on: February 03, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »
Glad you got your airbrush cleaning pot OK. It looks identical to one I use. I find it invaluable as airbrush holder as I do for emptying the unwanted contents of the airbrush. My compressor sits below my desk.

When I finish using an airbrush, I leave a little cleaner in the bottom of the cup and always rinse it through with water before use in the next session.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here