!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 112145 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1935 on: January 28, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »
First thing this morning, I ran the next four sub-cycles and everything ran perfectly.  Well, not quite, because Point 29 had failed to switch when I set up for Sub-cycle 6b and Tiverton Castle fouled the points causing a short circuit, so that everything came to an abrupt halt.  I’m not too sure whether I had simply made a switching error or the point had misbehaved.  However, it switched positively when I switched it to correct the error and it has never given trouble before, so I expect it was finger trouble.  But apart from that, I couldn’t believe how well things were running.

We only had a short walk today and then we watched the end of the tennis during and after coffee.  After that, I had another running session, running the last four sub-cycles in the second full cycle, including two ‘c’ goods sub-cycles.  6417 blotted its copybook by failing to start from the Norton loops on 7c, but after a quick prod, it ran perfectly thereafter.  It may just have been sitting on the rails at a funny angle.  Also, Ditcheat Manor needed a prod to start from platform 2 during the same sequence.  To cap it all, on the same sub-cycle, 45206, with the milk train had its bogie derail in Loop 8 as it was coming to rest.  There didn’t seem to be any reason for it, but it did cause another short circuit.  It may just be that the minimum radius of Loop 8 is a bit too tight.  I will be able to revue this and, if necessary, there is room to allow me to open it out just a little.  But that apart, everything else ran perfectly.

Then I turned my attention to the tunnels again.  The sides of the structures at the inside edge of the layout is just bare ply (with screws and screw holes showing) so I decided that I need to cover them.  This is the side of the Oakwood tunnels.

I cut some paper printed with Ashlar stonework and adhered it to the side of the Gatsby Tunnels.

I know stone work is probably not appropriate here, by as it’s essentially a cutaway cross-section, I think it will be OK.  I have yet to cover the side of the Oakwood Tunnels, but I did add a little more grass, using the neat PVA technique.

I find it useful to cover small sections at a time because that allows me to weigh up the results before deciding whether or not to add more and, if so, where to add it.

Although I am progressing slowly with the scenic work, I’m extremely pleased with the running, after the despondency of only a few days ago, when everything seemed very bleak.  I have ordered Airbrushing for Railway Modellers by George Dent, so I should soon be able to get out the air brush and compressor set that I had for my birthday last May.  It has been sitting under the baseboards ever since.  The other things I need to buy soon are some acrylic paints and something suitable for overhanging vegetation for the edges of the tunnel structures.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1936 on: January 28, 2018, 08:00:13 pm »
Hi Laurence, I am pleased you are back to some good running and the scenics are progressing good. With regard to airbrushing when you eventually take the plunge, the first thing no matter which type of airbrush you decide on is get some air brush cleaner. I use Media airbrush cleaner,its fast acting and odorless and works with all types of paints. I have painted my Union Mills with Humbrol enamel, which is slower drying than acrylics but it gives you more time to clean your airbrush plus you can even use cheap white spirits with the cleaning. With acrylics I usually run some cleaner through the brush immediately I have finished spraying, acrylics dry so fast you can easily block the brush if you are not careful, then it's a full strip down job. If you buy some small glass jars for mixing the paint buy the ones with a large hole, they are easier to clean. A lot of stuff is in the book you are getting, it is a good book, I also have is weathering for railway modellers too.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1937 on: January 28, 2018, 09:09:12 pm »
With regard to airbrushing when you eventually take the plunge, the first thing no matter which type of airbrush you decide on is get some air brush cleaner. I use Media airbrush cleaner,its fast acting and odorless and works with all types of paints. I have painted my Union Mills with Humbrol enamel, which is slower drying than acrylics but it gives you more time to clean your airbrush plus you can even use cheap white spirits with the cleaning. With acrylics I usually run some cleaner through the brush immediately I have finished spraying, acrylics dry so fast you can easily block the brush if you are not careful, then it's a full strip down job.

what would you recommend for thinning acrylics and enamel paints for spraying?

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1938 on: January 28, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »
A good source for the glass jars is the ones you get fish paste  beef or chicken paste etc in (about 29p from Aldi) plus you get to eat the contents first. You can mix a decent batch of paint up and label it for future use. I only use acrylics, mainly the artist tubes but always use the proper water borne thinners and I also use the thinners for cleaning the airbrush and so far have had no blockages. Another useful thing is a cleaning pot so you can blow the cleaning contents out without having to try to soak it up with paper towels. Something like this
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1Airbrush-Cleaning-Pot-Strong-Glass-Airbrush-Stand-Station-Filters-Cleaner/122934384368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1939 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:02 pm »
I have a FoxHunter-AS-186-Complete-Airbrush-Kit-Compressor-With-Tank-Nail-Tatoo-Art, which I have yet to try out.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1940 on: January 28, 2018, 09:20:00 pm »
Another useful thing is a cleaning pot so you can blow the cleaning contents out without having to try to soak it up with paper towels. Something like this
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1Airbrush-Cleaning-Pot-Strong-Glass-Airbrush-Stand-Station-Filters-Cleaner/122934384368?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Thanks John. I've ordered one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1941 on: January 28, 2018, 09:33:50 pm »
what would you recommend for thinning acrylics and enamel paints for spraying?
I use this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RailMatch-3250-Acrylic-Paint-Spray-Thinners-250ml-Plastic-Bottle-Tracked-48-Post/121558503202?hash=item1c4d738f22:g:7x8AAOSwqu9UzSng
but there are other probably cheaper options.

I have a FoxHunter-AS-186-Complete-Airbrush-Kit-Compressor-With-Tank-Nail-Tatoo-Art, which I have yet to try out.

That is the same model that I have. I'm no expert but it has worked very well for me so far. I don't like the bottom feed airbrush but the gravity fed one seems ideal for most work I would get a decent airbrush though if I needed to do very fine detail. The compressor is well up to the job with the 15 to 20 psi that I use for airbrushing even with the trigger open constantly the tank never drops much below 50psi.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1942 on: January 28, 2018, 11:54:01 pm »
I have some Acrylic thinners, I try to buy the same make of thinners has the paint I use, some acrylics you can thin with water. Some of the acrylic paints come airbrush ready with a nice screw top so you can drop a few drops required straight in the airbrush, give them a good shake first.
I have used Humbrol enamel paint on my Union Mills and Humbrol enamel thinners to thin it. I bought a bag of pippetts off e-bay to use with mixing the paints, you do not want large jars for mixing the paint. With N-Gauge loco's you are only using small amounts of paint, I use one pippett to draw some paint out of the tin and drop it into a jar then another pippett to mix some thinners with the paint, you want the paint thin enough so it drips from the pippett. You then draw the paint out of the jar and drop it into the airbrush.

I forgot to add, make sure your give the paint a good mix before using.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:53:41 pm by lil chris, Reason: forgotten text »
Lil Chris

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #1943 on: January 29, 2018, 03:35:11 am »
Tattoo artist pots, eBay. IPA 70/30 thinning and cleaning. All on YouTube.
Or 25 ml paint pots with lids, eBay.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:48:04 am by bob lawrence »

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1944 on: January 29, 2018, 06:02:00 pm »
Today was another very successful running day.  I didn’t have too much time in the Train Shed today, but I managed a short running session before we went off to play table tennis.  I ran three sub-cycles and the only hiccup was that 80119 had a couple of stalls on the way out of the UP loops, but it managed to recover itself so there was no obvious effect to the running on the layout. 

Because we only had a short walk yesterday morning, we decided to go for a walk in the Humber Bridge Country Park this afternoon, to make up for it.  It used to be an enormous chalk pit.  Probably the biggest use of the chalk was for making white paint, but the market for that dried up and, when the bottom of the pit reached the water table, it was abandoned.  It used to be known as Little Switzerland because the steep chalk cliffs reminded people of the Alps.  Later it became overgrown with woodland and was adopted as a country park.

When I returned to the Train Shed, I ran the remaining ten sub-cycles in the third full cycle.  At the end of the first one, Jubilee class 45572 ‘Eire’ lost most of its train when entering the DOWN loops when the fourth coach detached itself from the front of the train.  On inspection, I found that my camera tripod had moved too close to the track, causing the buffet coach (for that’s what it was) to partially derail and uncouple.  So I think I can safely put that down to finger trouble.

On its fifth outing of the day 9744 needed a prod to start from Shipton in the DOWN loops and, first time out, 6417 had a couple of stalls on the way out of the UP loops, again recovering unaided.  Forthampton Grange need a small prod to get started from Platform 2, but otherwise ran perfectly well.  Finally, 6417 had another slight stall while accelerating away from Platform 4.  But, all in all, it was a good running session.

Earlier in the day, I had been researching paint for my air brush.  I tracked down some that looks promising, described as ‘Brian Clegg ready mixed paint 600ml – Assorted x20’.  The only slight reservation I have is that it is described on the Brian Clegg website as water-based poster paint, so I’m not sure whether it is acrylic and, if not, whether it really matters.  I may order it anyway because I have an account with Viking, which is where I located it.  I have ordered some RailMatch 3250 Acrylic Paint Spray Thinners, as recommended by BBJ.

What all this is leading to is that I decided it was high time I unpacked my airbrush set and tested it.  I unpacked the compressor and attached one of the air brushes via the connecting hose provided.  I then plugged it in and switched on.  It pumped up to 60psi fairly quickly without much noise and I was able to reduce the outlet pressure easily.  Holding the air brush trigger in the ‘on’ position for several seconds did not deplete the pressure at all.  I had intended to take a picture of it all connected up but, by the time I had read all the instruction leaflets, I managed to pack it away again before I remembered to take a picture.  So here’s a picture of the set back in its box. 

Hopefully, I will get to use it very soon.  It should be good fun experimenting with it to see what I can achieve.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1945 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
Looks very good Laurence, a better compressor than the one I am using, mine is only small and has no tank. I only have the pressure on about 18-20 psi/just over 1 bar, It copes ok. I have have a big compressor in my garage which has a tank, but its well too cold in there for painting at the moment, its too noisy to have indoors anyway.

Poster paints are years old, I still have some in little pots,they are not acrylic has far as I know. They do not seem to sell them anymore in the artist type shops, I would buy some proper Acrylics. I have several types I have used, I have a set of Com Art acrylic which can be mixed and are airbrush ready. But I have several sets of Lifecolor acrylics, some were bought for me one Christmas. I have a Rail weathering set and Dust and Rust sets plus a Lichens and Moss set, I also have Lifecolor thinners. Also the Vallejo acrylics are good too, I have a box of those. I have also found you can use Artists acrylics which are very cheap from The Range, good for doing scenery and you thin them with water.
Lil Chris

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1946 on: January 29, 2018, 10:21:00 pm »
Looks like a decent compressor with a moisture trap too. I'd  recommend having some fun experimenting on some scraps to get used to it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably wonder how you ever managed without one.  :)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1947 on: January 30, 2018, 07:48:54 am »
Pengi started a thread a while back on airbrushing and that topic can be found here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=15028.msg149090#msg149090

Hope that is helpful.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1948 on: January 30, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »
I've identified two sets of acrylics that might be useful.

1. Com-Art Scenery Paint Set
2 Com-Art Weathering Paint Set

Each has ten 30ml bottles (not all green ones!).  Does that sound about right?
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #1949 on: January 30, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »
I have decided that, as Marton Hinmarche is definitely a working layout, I should try to run a complete operational cycle of the timetable every day, where possible.  So the modelling work will continue, but I will give priority to the running sessions.  Something rather strange happened today, more of which later.  First thing, I ran the first four sub-cycles of the final full timetable cycle.  9744 needed a prod to get it started from the Shipton (DOWN) loops and again to start from Platform 4.  Also, 45572 ‘Eire’ stopped at Point 30 on the exit from the DOWN loops.  I tried it again with the same result, but at least it recovered on its own at the second attempt.  It did this several days ago, so I might need to keep my eye on it.  Before that, it had never been a problem, so I could think about track cleaning.  Everything else worked OK, apart from 6477 having a cough at the exit point from the Norton loops.  However, 61664 ‘Liverpool’ stopped at Point 33, the exit to the goods yard because its bogie had derailed.  I’m not sure where that happened, because it was the first facing point it had encountered on its DOWN run.

After the Gym and shopping I had a couple of jobs to do around the house, so it was later on that I returned to the Train Shed.  This time, I ran the remaining sub-cycles.  9744 needed another prod to start from the Norton loops but, otherwise, everything went well until 6417 made its final outrun from Shipton, when it stuttered no less that four times, but eventually made it to Platform 4.  But it ran perfectly thereafter.  On the next sub-cycle, 9744 needed another prod to start from Platform 4, but the real problem was 80119, which just would not get going at all from Platform 2.  I pushed it and pushed it and pushed it, all to no avail.  So I slid it back and wiped over the track with some clean card, but there was no improvement.  It even struggled of the section of track where it had just decelerated successfully.  This was very disheartening.  I was beginning to think that I was back to square one again, after some very successful running. 

Eventually I managed to nurse it right out of the station, after which it ran perfectly again.  I decided I would tray a complete circuit, tail chasing Forthampton Grange and this time it executed a perfect arrival and departure from Platform 2.  It was a complete mystery.  It can’t be the track and the loco is now fine, so I have to assume that a bit of dust or something had got into the pickups and then worked its way out again.  After that, everything else, including 80119, ran perfectly.

There was still some time to devote to scenic work, so I turned my attention to the Oakwood Tunnels.  I cut a section of Ashlar printed on paper to fix to the cross-section side of the tunnel complex.  I made a bit of a hash of the first attempt but, eventually, I got it right and fixed the ashlar to the plywood with neat PVA.

I then turned my attention to the small, visible section of ply adjacent to the backscene and used the same ashlar paper to cover it.  Then I applied some more grass to the lower slope next to the branch tunnel portal.  Here it is , all in place.

I will shortly order some acrylic paints for the airbrush and I must think about how to create overhanging vegetation for the tops of the tunnel portals and walls.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:30:26 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here