!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 39352 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1020 on: Yesterday at 06:15:30 pm »
Many thanks, John, for this excellent photo. These two WR BR Standard coaches do look very good behind your BR Black EC livery Drummond ex-LSWR '700 Class' 0-6-0 No. 30325 (from 12/50) which was a Guildford (70C) loco. between 8/50 and 12/61; then, again, 1/62 to 12/62 when it was withdrawn. It was built in June 1897 by Dubs & Co. as LSWR No.325.

I look forward to photographing my BR Black, but Late Crest, No. 30700 (72A, Exmouth Junction), which is still at Eastleigh Works (where it arrived in January, 1964) having a Heavy General Overhaul following withdrawal in November 1962 (and snowplough service until New Year 1964), with the same two coaches: CK W15059 and BSK W34139.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1021 on: Yesterday at 08:27:48 pm »

Here's something a little bit different.  I generally avoid post-1938 railways on Poppingham, but there is a brief period which I quite like.  Mr Churchill, I understand, declined to be made Duke of London so that he could remain in the House of Commons.  He is now back in No. 10 Downing Street.  That's a good start to the period.  It ends before the 1955 ASLEF strike that was so damaging to the railways.  The carriage livery when kept clean was very agreeable.  Like in this instance:

[Ex-LSWR '700 Class' 0-6-0 No. 30325 waits at Poppingham station with an Up stopping passenger train comprised of new BR standard stock.]

With particular thanks to Chris (IP) for the very nice CK and BSK (although pre-1956 the 'second' would have been 'third').

With best wishes.

John

[/quote]
 :hellosign: Another superb photo John  :greatpicturessign:  :thankyousign:
       regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1022 on: Yesterday at 09:37:00 pm »
Bridge Building

Hello Chums

Today it was time, at last, to make a start on the overbridge.  Peco parts and some really appalling workmanship have got us this far:

I hope no-one injures themselves laughing at this effort.  All that very rough wooden stuff is intended to be used as the basis for a bigger supporting frame so that the bridge and approach roads form a self-contained unit that can be lifted clear for track cleaning operations.

Lots of weights in use and the Down Main Line of the Table-Top Railway (Mk III) (at present closed to traffic) is acting as a convenient straight edge.

I hope all that glue dries overnight and that I haven't glued the bridge to the baseboard.

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Pip-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1023 on: Yesterday at 09:51:17 pm »
Why would we laugh? Its looking rather good, its turning into a proper little layout

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1024 on: Yesterday at 09:52:35 pm »
What are you going to use the rest of the curtain pole for?  :D
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1025 on: Yesterday at 09:56:50 pm »
Excellent appalling workmanship. It's certainly weighty business bridge building. :) :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here