!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: AJAY EMU models how have they got on with them  (Read 1975 times)

Offline SOUTHFAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26445
  • anything SR region 1959/61
    • Awards
AJAY EMU models how have they got on with them
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
Have they been easy to work on and what chassis has anyone used.  I have several ideas but would like to know anyone else's experience.
Thanks in advance.
Intersted in Merchant Navy, Battle OB etc Farish locos &kits for SR locos and EMUS

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: AJAY EMU models how have they got on with them
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
Hello

I am assuming you don't have any yet, and are assuming that if you pay for the kit you will get it.
I am currently over £600 down and waiting for two 2-HAL and two 4-COR models, and have been waiting since I pre-ordered in April 2015.
So don't expect them to arrive as soon as you have paid for them. Aryan has had his fair share of business and personal problems this year, and I have given him enough slack to help him out, but don't invest if you want your model next month.

From the models he has produced in N:

2-BIL.    Not purchased but said by others to be poor quality resin moulding.

3-SUB.  I got two of these but just the driving coaches, to make a pair of 1970s de-icing units. Again the resin quality is poor. Strangely the bodies don't match any of the designs illustrated in the definitive book Brian Goulding's Southern Electric Units Drawings and Plans. They are missing two compartments, meaning I might as well have hacked my own from old Farish 57' generic stock. At £90/coach this is a huge compromise to take on the chin. They don't merit anything better than a Japanese chassis. The space inside is not big enough for a TOMIX chassis without removing the running boards and rebuilding those on the TOMIX chassis itself. Now lying in my to do drawer very unloved.

2-HAL. 3D print. Reasonably good review by Graham Hedges in the NGS magazine. I've been waiting 14 months for mine though. Nuff said. I will probably use a Greenmax chassis under these if and when I get them.

4-COR. 3D print. Apparently he has gone back to the designers to get a better 3D design. I'm not really sure what to believe however, and with £440 invested in two of these, for no sign of the product, I can't really advise you if this is any good.

4-LAV. New proposed resin moulded kit.  Who knows what this will turn out like, but its a new kit designer he is using for this one.

With the wisdom of having spent out over £1000 for four resin coaches (the 3-SUBs) to date, if I were you I would spend my money (if I had it back) on Dapol Maunsell coaches and Schools locos instead.

HTH

Bob

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
I did see these kits on sale at Ally Pally and they did look the part, but certainly not cheap. Much less impressed by their OO Class 508, which was clearly mastered from an old MTK kit...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline SOUTHFAN

• N Gauge Society Number: 26445
  • anything SR region 1959/61
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »
Thanks for all the info
I guess I could go back to the BHE emu kits and modified farish dmu chassis
cheers
M
Intersted in Merchant Navy, Battle OB etc Farish locos &kits for SR locos and EMUS

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:02 am »
You also have the slowly growing range of bits I produce..........  :claphappy:

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:06:48 am »
I did see these kits on sale at Ally Pally and they did look the part, but certainly not cheap. Much less impressed by their OO Class 508, which was clearly mastered from an old MTK kit...

I built an MTK 313 many years ago and I thought the 508 looked suspiciously familiar.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Highland Handlebar

• N Gauge Society Number: 22701
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 03:15:52 pm »
Thanks for all the info
I guess I could go back to the BHE emu kits and modified farish dmu chassis
cheers
M

Try worsley works kits, they are better in scale and finish
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:48:35 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Incorrect quote fixed »

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
I offered Ayjay my 3d designs in exchange for a few kits.  He told me my model needed a lot of work.   ::)

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:44:51 pm »
I hate to say it but your 304/5/8 ends need a bit of work the windows are too small and the wrong shape. I am in the process of finishing a 304 ( worsley works) although that needed a lot of work as the driving coaches were 304/1 and the intermediate coaches were 304/2 but with 304/1 windows (except for the toilet ones) I have just finished the worsley works 4-Lav, 6- pul and the bill bedford 2 bil, The bil is a little under scale though not noticeable but as I have 2 worsley works ones to start,I plan to sell the Bedford 2-Bil in the future. the 4 cor worked out very well though I am in the process of resin casting some power car underframe detail

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:06:42 pm »
I am in the process of finishing a 304 ( worsley works) although that needed a lot of work as the driving coaches were 304/1 and the intermediate coaches were 304/2 but with 304/1 windows (except for the toilet ones)

Any chance of some photo's Mr Handlebar?   :photospleasesign:

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:14:52 pm »
I will post some at the weekend when the light is right for photography

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 07:02:22 pm »
I will post some at the weekend when the light is right for photography
I think you mean some time in April :)

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 07:56:50 pm »
July  up here  :'(

Offline amsie

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »
I hate to say it but your 304/5/8 ends need a bit of work the windows are too small and the wrong shape. I am in the process of finishing a 304 ( worsley works) although that needed a lot of work as the driving coaches were 304/1 and the intermediate coaches were 304/2 but with 304/1 windows (except for the toilet ones) I have just finished the worsley works 4-Lav, 6- pul and the bill bedford 2 bil, The bil is a little under scale though not noticeable but as I have 2 worsley works ones to start,I plan to sell the Bedford 2-Bil in the future. the 4 cor worked out very well though I am in the process of resin casting some power car underframe detail

Feel free to design your own

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here