Why am I charged more?

Started by 1936ace, May 06, 2016, 01:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Just got an email from Hatton's to say the controller caddy is in stock. The price is A$8.25 for me. I notice it's a gaugemaster product then see dcc concepts written on it.
Dcc concepts is an Australia company. I quickly check the price only to find is around A$3 dearer. And to get it from them in Western Australia over to NSW the postage is not cheap especially when compared yo say Hatton's.
So I can get an item cheaper after its gone all over the world then from the place that's here
It's a joke. And they wonder why we shop o/s
Bart

Ian Morton

Well, a good manufacturer will always sell direct at retail price - undercutting your dealers leads to unrest.

GM have presumably cut a deal where their re-badged items have a lower UK wholesale price than the DCC Concepts items.

Hattons have negociated some very good rates from the various carriers due to the quantities of stuff that they ship out and tend to price things very keenly. In addition you won't be paying UK tax.

Practical upshot, unless you get charged Austalian taxes on the parcel when it enters the country the combination of factors mean that it is quite likely to offer a saving on going direct. If there was an Australian retailer who adopted the Hattons business model then that would also be cheaper than going direct.

red_death

As Ian said, it is because DCC Concepts are selling at full retail price whereas Hattons are cutting their margins because they sell so much...ie they rely on their volume of sales to generate profits rather than the margin.

Jerry Howlett

Doesn't just apply to the "New World".

My (its a very small) swimming pool pump expired last year after many years. Went to the local dealers and couldn't get one for less than about £450.  Went on line and found a UK company that would send here to Italy. Bought a really powerful pump and it was couriered here for £325.  Guess where it was made... No prizes Italy!!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Ian Morton

It happens in all walks of life.

My car breakdown renewal came through from Green Flag quoting about £100 including 4 years no callout discount. Went on line and got a quote of around £40 - from Green Flag. Rang them up to tell them I wouldn't be renewing and they offered to price match - their own price.  :worried:

ozzie Bill.

Ian, that is so funny. Truly ridiculous  :no:

GrahamB

Quote from: Ian Morton on May 06, 2016, 03:21:21 PM
It happens in all walks of life.

My car breakdown renewal came through from Green Flag quoting about £100 including 4 years no callout discount. Went on line and got a quote of around £40 - from Green Flag. Rang them up to tell them I wouldn't be renewing and they offered to price match - their own price.  :worried:
Always check online. I've been playing that game for years for everything. By example, my Goldwing Motorcycle uses two cam belts. Genuine Honda belts are quoted at£52.00 each plus VAT and delivery. Honda don't make cam belts. They buy them from Gates. So I go to a spares dealer and buy them for £36.00 the pair including VAT.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations