!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 84008 times)

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1005 on: March 26, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
Just noticed that the day my credit card was hacked was also the day I signed up to Facebook. Coincidence??

Yes - how could signing up for Facebook lead to your card being hacked? Unless you posted all your card details on Facebook in a post I fail to see the link.
That's cos there's no link!! But twas a coincidence though.  :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: March 26, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »
Apologies Bob - I took your post possibly too literally! 

There is so much huff and puff about the evils of Facebook and so much myth spread that I think people need to understand the real risks.

Being overcautious on the web limits your ability to take full advantage of all the benefits (of which there are many) of the web.  Still better to be slightly overcautious that not cautious enough!

Cheers, Mike

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: March 26, 2018, 08:13:14 pm »
I'm thinking that it's quite possible that there are databases of card details out there, just waiting for the right personal details to be exposed.

I'm sure that many will have seen the Barclays advert where the fraudster integrates multiple data sources to gather enough info on a young woman to be able to impersonate her online.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: March 26, 2018, 08:24:25 pm »
Almost certainly Tony.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online austinbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: April 15, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »
Just been fitting Seep point motors. Three fitted and working no problem. Fourth - poked operating rod through point actuator (SL-E389F) and point just fell apart. Actuator arm and one of the point blades just dropped off WHAT!!  :veryangry:
Now I've got to buy a new one and lift a couple of lengths of track (with lots of isolating sections already wired up of course!!) and replace the point.
Two steps forward and one step back as usual.
 :'( :'(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #1010 on: April 29, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »
After spring teased us with a few days of warmer weather, winter has come back to bite us on the  :censored: . So what happens? Our central heating boiler chooses this weekend (Friday evening, natch) to have a sulk and refuse to light. :'(

Thank goodness for a gas fire, an oil-filled electric radiator and an emotion heater.

More expense.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: April 29, 2018, 09:34:40 pm »
People often say that I can be a bit cold.

an emotion heater.

Where can I get one? :D
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1012 on: April 29, 2018, 09:41:11 pm »
I have an emotion heater at home. Unfortunately, she does not always heat the emotions I want heating!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1013 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
I have an emotion heater at home. Unfortunately, she does not always heat the emotions I want heating!  :)

Now that's what I call living on the edge, David :worried:
I just hope your emotion heater wasn't looking over your shoulder at that moment in time

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #1014 on: April 29, 2018, 09:57:06 pm »
I'm not daft  :no:. I am at work and the lovely Louisa is at home 15 miles away.
David.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:49 am »
Ordered 10 x Dapol BR weathered 20T mineral wagons from Rails whose website stated "Availability: Ordered on request" and received an acknowledgement telling me delivery would be approx 7-10 days. I've now received an e mail today from Rails stating their delivery from Dapol has arrived and there were no mineral wagons on it. When they contacted Dapol, Rails were informed they were discontinued.
I'm not really a happy bunny :unimpressed:

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:21 am »
So they will be appearing on ebay in a few days marked 'rare' !  ;D
David.

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »
We have just been traipsing around looking for an electronic item that was supposedly in stock at three different stores. The stock was shown on their computer system but when we got to two of the stores there was nothing. Eventually after quite a bit of time and petrol, it was third time lucky.

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: May 04, 2018, 11:00:29 pm »
I have not been in possession of a television set for many years now.  I don't like television.  Since I moved into my current address, some seven and a half years ago, I have had three visits from TV license plonkers, i have also had three letters from them asking me to purchase a license and to provide proof of having done so, or let them know that I don't need one.  I have responded to this online each time.  That's all OK (ish)...   However, today, I got a letter advising me that I am to be visited by an 'enforcement officer' to confirm that I do not have a TV and that I do not watch live broadcasts on line.
The attendance at my door of a 'representative' wishing to confirm that nothing has changed I can deal with.  But an 'enforcement officer'?  Really?
While I question the morality of the thing in general, I also have to wonder how much of the licence fee goes to checking up on whether people are paying their licence fee!  It seems that there is a visit to an address every 5 seconds, day, evening - including weekends. 10,101 visits a day they say.  I wonder how many people, on the streets and in various offices around the country, are involved in this.  I wonder what the total cost of policing this is.
It's the implied threat of a visit from an 'enforcement officer' that has got me wound up.  Does anyone else find that offensive?
They probably have a few people running round pretending to be a lot. I am dubious of the figure of 10,101 visits (a nice round number) a day as that equals 2,626,260 visits a year (based on 5 day working week). With the average household comprising of say 3 people and a population of 65,000,000 that equates to about 1 in 10 households not having a TV licence.
I get these threats regularly, my usual answer is what part of the address theatre indicates we should have a TV set.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1019 on: May 05, 2018, 07:32:26 am »
 I would advise  anyone bothered in this manner by the Licence checkers to complete a declaration that you don't need a licence. The TV Licensing website gives this page for doing just that:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

It might stop the plonkers! :D

Just a warning: note that you don't need to have a TV nowadays to be required to have a TV Licence. Note the wording near the top of the page linked above:
You don’t need a TV Licence if you:
never watch or record programmes on any channel as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

So if you don't have a TV but use another device to watch BBC programs, the nice folks from the Licensing Police could be knocking on your door! :o

PS - for full clarity, here's the wording from the Licensing website that gives the exact detail of when you do have to have a licence:

[You need to be covered by a TV Licence to
watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder./quote]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:39:30 am by daffy, Reason: PS added »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here