Pinging Parts

Started by Mustermark, December 01, 2011, 01:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustermark

It just dawned on me to put a tiny dob of Blu-Tak on my detailing parts to make them stay in the tweezers and not ping off into oblivion.  It works really well.  Can't believe I didn't think of it before.  It worked so well that I didn't find out if it makes the bits easier to find on the carpet.

Might be obvious but I hope it helps someone who didn't think of it before...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

mr magnolia

all I need to do is remember this before they ping off!
I always think that the 'modelling' bit of a session is about 20% of the time - the rest is just looking for stuff...

Dock Shunter

Quote from: mr magnolia on December 01, 2011, 06:45:32 AM
I always think that the 'modelling' bit of a session is about 20% of the time - the rest is just looking for stuff...

Couldn't agree more.... ::) :)

polo2k

another method for holding "pingable parts" is a tiny spec of automotive grease (use a non molybendium or non copper so its not all grubby)
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

EtchedPixels

For stuff you aren glueing but not soldering another trick is to glue the part to a cocktail stick with a tiny spot of evostick, then put superglue paste on the back and position it with the stick, hold it in place and then when set pull away. It's about the only way I know to assemble some of the nuttier detail parts like etched Hymek numbers

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

polo2k

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 01, 2011, 02:40:03 PM
For stuff you aren glueing but not soldering another trick is to glue the part to a cocktail stick with a tiny spot of evostick, then put superglue paste on the back and position it with the stick, hold it in place and then when set pull away. It's about the only way I know to assemble some of the nuttier detail parts like etched Hymek numbers

There used to be a similar trick with speakers when the cones got pushed in. get a drop of CA on a piece of scrap, then dip a cocktail stick into it, then touch this to the cone and wait till it sets. Pull the stick/cone till its the shape you want and then twist the stick to remove :)
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations