!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Georgemas Junction  (Read 23489 times)

Offline jennarivo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Georgemas Junction
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »
I can even imagine it is a tennis court at top right :D

I really must stop being so lazy when taking pics and actually move the stuff from the background.....

There's not been much progress, over the last few weeks - camping trips and visitors have begun to appear again.

I have knocked up the two boards for the fiddle yard and track-laying is about to commence.  Due to space constraints I've had to amend the plan slightly to include an off-scene reversing loop between the Thurso and Inverness lines as looping the Thurso line round into the fiddle yard was going to add too much width to the layout.  This means that trains leaving on the Thurso branch will need to perform an out of sight reversing manoeuvre to enter the fiddle yard.  I'll post some pics in the next week or so.

cheers
Shaun

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
Thnaks, Shaun, for the update. Looking forward to more pictures. 8-)

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 12:20:21 pm »
Hello Shaun,
Could you not just use a small turntable, or perhaps a "balloon" loop to reverse the trains at the Thurso end? Most of the branch trains were very short, usually just loco plus 2 coaches, and freight usually only a handful of wagons, so a turntable could be as small as 15 to 18 inches.

I know this means your formations will come back in reverse, but it would save a lot of hassle shunting stock.
Regards,
Paul

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2016, 04:42:35 pm »
Hello Shaun,
Could you not just use a small turntable, or perhaps a "balloon" loop to reverse the trains at the Thurso end? Most of the branch trains were very short, usually just loco plus 2 coaches, and freight usually only a handful of wagons, so a turntable could be as small as 15 to 18 inches.

I know this means your formations will come back in reverse, but it would save a lot of hassle shunting stock.
Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul, I'll post a pic shortly which will hopefully explain it better than I can.  As it happens by the late 60s/ early 70s the trains heading to Thurso on the branch were longer that the section that continued to Wick, sometimes Thurso could by 5 or 6 carriages to Wicks 2 or 3.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2016, 04:44:42 pm »
Hi all,

There been limited work on any of the scenic sections as of late with most of my efforts being focused on the off-scene part of the layout.

I've knocked up a simple five road fiddle yard spread across two boards, using the same foamboard / ply combination as used on the main boards.  I don't think I've mentioned it on this thread yet, but over the last few months I've been thinking that I'd like to have a go at building my own code 40 track, as I've never been overly happy with the look of the Peco code 55, especially the points.  I'm hoping to buy some components and construct a very small trial layout/diorama to see how I get on and part of the reason for constructing the fiddle yard in this way is so I can use it for an end to end set-up as well, as two separate fiddle yards.

As mentioned previously, I've had to alter the plan slightly and instead of the Thurso branch running round into the fiddle yard, to save space I've created a reverse loop which joins the main line.  This means that trains leaving the station heading to Thurso will need to pull forward into this loop and then reverse into the fiddle yard.  Another space saving compromise is the use of tight radius set-track curves to take the main line round towards the fiddle yard.  The only room that the layout will fit it when fully assembled is the living room, meaning that most of the time it will be stored in a cupboard.  I can only assembly two boards in the spare bedroom, which is fine for working on but not much fun otherwise.

That's all for now

Cheers
Shaun

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2016, 07:44:34 pm »
Thanks for the update.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:39 pm »
Very quick update.

Finally some progress with the station building,

cheers
Shaun

ScottyStitch

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »
Very quick update.

Finally some progress with the station building,

cheers
Shaun

Looking good Shaun.

Whats the embossed plasticard you've used there?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2016, 05:19:10 pm »
Looks good so far.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2016, 06:49:34 pm »

Whats the embossed plasticard you've used there?

Hi there, thanks for that.  It's Slaters Stone Courses and I'm pretty sure that it's the 4mm version rather than the 2mm.

cheers
Shaun

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
Hi all, another quick update.  It turns out that the layout will fit in the spare room - diagonally with about 20mm to spare.  Thank goodness, I really wasn't looking forward setting it up in the living room each time i want to have a play around.  One board will need to be removed to allow the door to open but other than that there are no issues, at least this way I can leave the stock sitting on it too.  So watch this space, we have a visitor coming next Saturday but after that there will be some more photos, this time with actual trains.

The station building is slowly but surely progressing to, here is a shot of it in situ ready to be glazed.

cheers
Shaun

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2016, 09:17:08 pm »
It's looking good, Shaun :thumbsup:
Time to start thinking of how you'll 'bed' it into the platform so it doesn't look as as if it's floating.

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:48 pm »
The station building is now glazed and partially roofed.  The window etches are from Peedie Models in Orkney; they're not quite the right size but they're the closest I could find.

cheers
Shaun

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:53 pm »
The windows look fine to me, Shaun, and I wouldn't have known any different if you hadn't said :no:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2016, 09:38:42 pm »
I agree with Mick, they look ticketyboo to me  :NGaugersRule:

Cheers John.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30