!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Georgemas Junction  (Read 22913 times)

Offline jennarivo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Georgemas Junction
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:48 pm »
Hi all, thanks for all the kind words, here's another update

I have spent the last week working on the various structures, I've finally added the stairs to both signal boxes. The North box (or cabin) can be seen in the pics below, when I built this there was no layout or even a baseboard for that matter and I neglected to take into account the height of the sleepers on the Peco code 55 track.  It left the box being about a scale foot lower than it should be and as can be seen I've had to bump it up a bit.  I don't really want to replace the stonework base so I'm going to try to hide the gap with ballast and green stuff and see how it looks. 

I spent the whole day on Sunday (and I really do mean the whole day) constructing my latest purchase, some 2mm SA LMS rail built buffer stops.  I needed 8 so I bought 9 and this proved to be a smart move as the 1st one ended up in the bin.  The kit comes as a single etch in mirrored halves which is folded along the center and the two haves soldered together, the parts are then cut out and the buffer is assembled.  The instructions suggested I may want to tin the rear prior to folding, this did not work for me at all and after the 1st one hit the bin i resorted to folding in half and clamping it shut and soldering all visible seams, I then removed the clamps and finished the seams.  After this initial bit was done it wasn't too bad, very fidgety though.  They're now all soldered to the track and one of them can be seen below, definitely an improvement from the Peco option and well worth the effort I think

cheers
Shaun

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:52 pm »
Yep, a definite improvement over the Peco ones.

Love the fencing.... is anything strung between the posts?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2016, 11:00:15 pm »
Hello Shaun,

I admire your patience with the buffer stops - I don't think I will have the time for this. Having said that -if I could illuminate the lamps on the Peco ones (which I will use) - I would.  I think someone on here has managed it. But with Blair Atholl there is more demand for lighting when you have internal overnight trains stopping!

I have seen some people add very thin wire between fence posts, and even telegraph poles. I am not sure whether its effective in 2mm scale - but then I said the same about static grass, and been proved wrong by your own efforts!

Regards,
Paul

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 11:08:08 am »
Shaun,

the whole thing is looking great. I am most impressed with the landscaping though, you have outdone yourself there! It just shows that if you put the effort into the really fine details then it can elevate the whole feel of a model.

Just a quick query, did you lay a layer of turf scatter down first for the base colour and then the static grass over the top, or the static grass straight onto the base and then only add the turf after solely for the extra depth of colour?

Is the shorter greass in the fields fine/course turf or cut down static grass? I cant tell from the photo's.

Cheers,

Ash.
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 06:35:45 pm »
Yep, a definite improvement over the Peco ones.

Love the fencing.... is anything strung between the posts?

Thanks for that, I've opted not to actually put anything between then posts.  The thinnest wire I have is 0.1mm and even that's far too thick.  Assuming that it would be a 3.2mm or 4.0mm wire in real life, that equates to 0.02-0.026mm in N -plus it was painstaking enough putting the posts in, let alone having to string wire between them all.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:04 pm »
Shaun,

the whole thing is looking great. I am most impressed with the landscaping though, you have outdone yourself there! It just shows that if you put the effort into the really fine details then it can elevate the whole feel of a model.

Just a quick query, did you lay a layer of turf scatter down first for the base colour and then the static grass over the top, or the static grass straight onto the base and then only add the turf after solely for the extra depth of colour?

Is the shorter greass in the fields fine/course turf or cut down static grass? I cant tell from the photo's.

Cheers,

Ash.

Hi Ash, thanks for that.

Yes there is a layer of fine turf scatter laid before the static grass.  In the main it is "burnt grass" colour, but in some areas I've used a bit of a mix as I was running out.
The shortest field grass is cut down 2mm static grass, I did try some WWS 1mm grass but the shades weren't to my liking.  I used a beard or head trimmer as the lawnmower and just kept going over it until I was happy.

cheers
Shaun

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2016, 07:46:19 pm »
Hi all,

Not much to report as of late, I knocked up the PW hut over the weekend from Redutex corrugated iron sheet and gave it a going over with some powders.  I've also been experimenting with some of their other textures too as I'm trying to find one suitable for the station building - no luck yet though.  The junction box has finally been repainted and fitted in position too.

The next big task is to complete the rest of the baseboards and start the non-scenic track and fiddle yard - then to get some trains running.

cheers
Shaun

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2016, 07:50:27 pm »
Thanks for the update.
Looking good.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2016, 10:01:26 pm »
Very impressive, the ballasting and the grass looks really good. I admire layouts modeled on real location's, very good modeling.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »
I keep coming back to look at this, that top picture in the last post is particularly awesome....There is just something so right about it...

I can even imagine it is a tennis court at top right :D

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 12:02:39 am »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the  :greatpicturessign: looking so right
regards Derek.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2016, 11:25:17 am »
Great pics!

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2016, 02:07:43 pm »
Great layout.  Great photo's.

Dave

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:58 pm »
Thnaks for the update. Really excellent scenic work.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2016, 09:06:35 pm »
Fantastic work - thanks for sharing your advice

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50