!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Georgemas Junction  (Read 22064 times)

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Georgemas Junction
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:41:24 am »
Thanks for the update, it looks really good , I too have the footbridge kit and its a lovely model.

keep up the good work - it puts to shame my humble efforts aged 16 in my bedroom - I slept under the junction board!
Minitrix locos and coaches along with Farish class5s how times have changed!
Robert

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 05:22:49 pm »
Another couple of progress pics

This week has seen a bit of vegetation added to the bay platform embankment.

Shaun

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »
Shaun,

Excellent thread and terrific models, love the road bridge.  The greenery has turned out really well, I was thinking about static grass on mine (but that is a long way off), yours looks really good

keep up the excellent updates

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 07:52:03 pm »
Hello Shaun,

Nice to see how the layout has developed. I've always been a little sceptical about static grass in 2mm scale, but it looks really the part on your layout, very realistic indeed.

I might be another one pondering the use of static grass when I get round to doing my scenery.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »
Very nice, Shaun :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 07:49:55 am »
Hello Shaun,

Nice to see how the layout has developed. I've always been a little sceptical about static grass in 2mm scale, but it looks really the part on your layout, very realistic indeed.

I might be another one pondering the use of static grass when I get round to doing my scenery.

Cheers
Paul

Agree, very nice.

I've stayed away from 'statics' for the same reason. Perhaps I should invest and do a test piece/diorama.

Dave G

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 09:22:45 pm »
Hello Shaun,

Cheers
Paul

Agree, very nice.

I've stayed away from 'statics' for the same reason. Perhaps I should invest and do a test piece/diorama.

Dave G

Thanks for that, although I do have a small confession to make.  After I laid the grass I decided that it was too long so I used a small beard trimmer to cut it back a bit.

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 09:24:35 pm »
A small taste of things to come......

The bulk of the green stuff is complete on the first 2 boards, still lots of detailing and touching up to do yet though.  I'm not entirely happy with the short grass in the fields and I'll maybe re-do at some point in the distant future.  The remaining structures have progressed a bit as well, the shed on the down platform has been rebuilt and now looks much closer to scale and I've re-clad the original one that I built and it can be seen in the above pic (half painted) next to the livestock pens.  I'm not sure how much livestock was actually loaded/unloaded here but the pens survived into the early 60s. 

I'll be starting on the 3rd and final board this weekend and once I get it to the same standard of these two you can expect a few more pics.

cheers
Shaun

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 08:27:52 pm »
  :hellosign: Jennarivo, nice modelling, thanks for sharing
regards Derek

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:09 pm »
Hello Shaun,

Cheers
Paul

Agree, very nice.

Dave G

Thanks for that, although I do have a small confession to make.  After I laid the grass I decided that it was too long so I used a small beard trimmer to cut it back a bit.

I have been absent for some time so playing catch-up

But that is not a confession, its a Tip - and a good one at that :)

I use a beard trimmer on hanging basket liner etc in larger scales but I never thought it would work in this new fangled static grass lark....so thank you !

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 09:40:04 am »
This week has seen some more progress on the Wick board,  the embankments have had their vegetation added and the fields to the south of the track have been grassed.

Apart from the grass pretty much all the scenic stuff is from the Woodland Scenics range.  I trialed quite a few different manufacturers but settled with this one as I felt they had the most comprehensive range and it just looked right alongside the MiniNatur grasses.

I plant the bushes first and predominantly they are just that, Woodland Scenics Bushes or Clump Foliage in either Dark, Medium or Olive Green shades.

Once these are stuck down I give them a dusting of Fine Turf in varying shades to add some depth to them.
I've also used this stuff for some of them, I believe it is some sort of rubberised hair, which again once formed and glued in place is dusted with some Fine Turf.

Weeds, flowers, etc. are then added. For the darker weeded areas I just go over the top of the grass with watered down (50/50) PVA and sprinkle on some Green Grass Fine Turf. The lighter weeds are created from Light Green Foliage again dusted with some Fine Turf to give some variation. The pink flowers (or flowering weeds) are made from some Poly Fibre which is then dusted sparingly with pink scatter.

Once the vegetation is in place I dry brush some cream coloured acrylic paint onto some of the grass to add a bit more depth and variation.

This is one of the pics I've been using for reference https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5561086651/in/photolist-9tq2jk-9tq2eP-5Fqafk-CMFdSu-qFTGm6-9BbAdA-iNpqpi-bRBP1x-bCWUmG-bBXA6K-hNmiyN-qPcrkF-iWYqw8-doEjeo-8Td3Mi-mEQKjM-7gZh3g-9WsTPe-bvoD82-goywNn-fq6SH3-avgZ9F-9tsYA3-bUMZ1V-b5GFHZ-bEefER-rscYTE-zuShqA-9Bbztb-9Bbykm-9BbB9L-9B8HTe-9B8M1z-9Bbxfo-oaHxo9-gjnucr-nCnzcq-bnfMKD-hNkDTj-4qZT8B-hNkQnW-9B8L2r-fq6Vmh-bRBMea-dqkkfi-dqkjag-bCH3iN-azRsVf-eSrovy-eSf3YB. I really must thank everyone who has ever taken and uploaded a picture of Georgemas as they have provided me with no end of help. It would also appear to be one of the most photographed Far North Line locations - Thanks  :)

The final shot for this weekend is of the field to the South Side of the board which also shows the picture I was using as a reference.

Cheers
Shaun

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 10:02:20 am »
Looks very effective in deed.
Thanks for explaining how you have achieved the effects.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 12:41:54 pm »
Looks very effective in deed.
Thanks for explaining how you have achieved the effects.

Agree!

Always helpful to learn how other folk produce such nice work.

Dave G

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:43 pm »
That is some really nice scenic work,along with nicely ballasted and weathered track..... :thumbsup:

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:24 pm »
That is some really nice scenic work,along with nicely ballasted and weathered track..... :thumbsup:
Totally agree V.nice work.
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything