!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Georgemas Junction  (Read 22066 times)

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Georgemas Junction
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »
Nice job.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »
Yep, that's definitely one of the better ballasting jobs I've seen.

Offline jenn6539

• My layout - Georgemas Junction 1970s
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »
Yep, that's definitely one of the better ballasting jobs I've seen.

Thanks for that  - although it may not stand up so well to close up scrutiny, there are some pretty horrendous patches here and there  :-[

Coming on really well, it does look to me that it will capture the bleakness of the location. 2mm is a much better scale for this sort of location compared with "00", unless people are lucky enough to have huge amounts of space.
Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul - one of the stipulations I set myself during the design phase was that at least 50% of the available modelling area was to be just scenery, grass in the main.  I'm quite looking forward to this part, it will be my first time trying to recreate a countryside scene, all my previous attempts a layouts have been city/town center based.

No railway works this weekend though as we have guests staying so the toys must go away for a few days  :(

Back with more soon

Shaun

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 11:29:53 pm »
I too remember this from some time ago.
Its got the feeling of railway in the (mainly) empty landscape that N gauge is so good for representing  :)

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:58 am »
Well, it all seems to be coming on really well Shaun and at quite a rapid pace, certainly more so than any of my layouts!

I am building a model of Blair Atholl, which will probably be 80% scenery. In a way its nice to keep things simple, and try and model a prototype which is relatively achievable, with a few necessary compromises. Of course this area is very different to Caithness in that there are lots of trees and a number of rivers, the Garry and the Tilt and a couple of tributaries (one of which powers a working watermill). The trees will be very useful for a scenic break at the North end of the layout!

There is a 4mm scale of Blair Atholl (with a good website - I've not actually seen the real model), which looks pretty much true to the prototype and has some fantastic detailed modelling. Of course, its 32 feet in length, which is larger than my house, so for the average person 2mm scale has great advantages.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of Georgemas Junction as it develops.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:05 pm »
Hi, I really loved reading your thread through. Great looking plan and layout. I can't wait to see more pics as it develops.

Great work

Best wishes

another shaun!!

Offline jenn6539

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 08:03:28 pm »
Well, it all seems to be coming on really well Shaun and at quite a rapid pace, certainly more so than any of my layouts!

I am building a model of Blair Atholl, which will probably be 80% scenery. In a way its nice to keep things simple, and try and model a prototype which is relatively achievable, with a few necessary compromises. Of course this area is very different to Caithness in that there are lots of trees and a number of rivers, the Garry and the Tilt and a couple of tributaries (one of which powers a working watermill). The trees will be very useful for a scenic break at the North end of the layout!

There is a 4mm scale of Blair Atholl (with a good website - I've not actually seen the real model), which looks pretty much true to the prototype and has some fantastic detailed modelling. Of course, its 32 feet in length, which is larger than my house, so for the average person 2mm scale has great advantages.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of Georgemas Junction as it develops.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul, as it happens it's taken me almost three years to get this far although I've picked up the pace a bit this last few months.  I've just had a good read of your thread, missed it up until now but will be watching with interest as it progresses.  It's a great location to model with lots of great scenery to try and recreate, still plenty of variety plodding up and down from Inverness in those days too.  I've also never seen the 4mm version other than in a Model Rail mag IIRC from back in the early 2000s, would love to see it in the flesh though, it's one of those layouts that just oozes atmosphere.

cheers
Shaun

Offline jenn6539

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
Thanks for all the encouragement.

This week has seen the weathering of the ballast completed, although some oil staining is still required in a few places and I've since made a start cleaning the rails and points.  I tend to use a track rubber on the top surface of all rails and then mini-cotton buds dipped in IPA to thoroughly clean the contact areas on the switch blades, I've also found fine emery boards and small dental brushes can also help. 

So far so good, two boards down and tested with no running issues at all, although I am a little bit concerned about the final board as I managed to overdo the ballast glue and gummed up two sets of points :doh: - oh well time will tell I guess.

26015 was the designated test loco seen here in the PW siding at the Wick end of the station.

cheers
Shaun

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »
Looking good. I do hope you manage to capture the remote nature of the place.
As I remember it from a couple of years back when we visited Wick & Thurso (by train from Inverness) it is a fascinating location but looks really bleak.
By the way, for anyone who hasn't taken the train North from Inverness.....you really should.  Amazing scenery and a fascinating journey.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:11:02 pm »
A new year and time for a long overdue update.

Very little happened on the railway during the summer and early autumn mainly due to the many visits of friends/family and the occasional weekend away hiking/camping. The last couple of months, however, have seen some progress.

Quite a bit has happened since the last post back in July, the third board cleaned up ok after ballasting and trains were running across all three with no issues.

The platforms have more or less been finished, just a small section to add once the water tank base is in place at the Wick end of the main platform.

Both the station footbridge and the A9 road bridge are in place, they still need a little bit of touching up and weathering, the footbridge is from Lochgorm Kits and the road bridge is scratch built.   Although it has just dawned on me that while it is currently the A9 which crosses Georgemas, back in the period I'm modelling c.1960-1980 it would have been the A895.  It didn't become the A9 until 1997 when the termination of the A9 was changed from John o'Groats to Scrabster Harbour.  I'll refer to it as the A895 road bridge from now on......

The green stuff has also been started, a couple of fields on the north side of the station have been laid and the embankment on the same side has had a couple of layers of static grass and is awaiting bushes and weeds, etc. The static grass is all of the Mininatur variety.

Some pics of progress

Looking from Wick under the A9 road bridge.  The two sheds standing on the main platform are a tad under size and need to be rebuilt, I had 'guesstimated' the dimensions for old pics but was never happy with the result.  When I was in Caithness over Xmas I took a trip out to Georgemas to look for any remaining clues to help with the rebuild, and as luck would have it there is still a partial foundation visible from the one with the gabled roof which gave me the width and a join between two types of fencing which provides the length.  

The North Box (or is it a cabin?).  The A9 embankment has had an initial covering of Woodland Scenics burnt turf.  The base from the old water tank sits in between the platform and this box.

General view of the station looking towards Thurso.

The A895 road bridge.

General view looking from the Thurso branch into the station.

Back with more soon............

Shaun

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
looking very smart. It's the first time I have come across your layout and I'm very impressed. The photo of curve and gradient for the Thurso branch really captures the railway well.
Graham

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »
I'm a sucker for curved platforms and yours look great.
When compared to the mineral wagon that signal cabin looks tiny! :goggleeyes:

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 10:43:18 pm »
I'm a sucker for curved platforms and yours look great.
When compared to the mineral wagon that signal cabin looks tiny! :goggleeyes:

Thanks, I'm quite happy with the way the platforms have turned out.

I think that the cabin is a bit on the low side, that and the wagon is sitting unrealistically high due to the thickness of the Peco track.  It was a small cabin just perhaps not that small, I'll maybe have another look at my dimensions.  :doh:

Shaun

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 10:57:49 pm »
Looking really good Shaun,

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline jennarivo

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:07 am »
looking very smart. It's the first time I have come across your layout and I'm very impressed. The photo of curve and gradient for the Thurso branch really captures the railway well.
Graham

Thanks very much.

As it happens, the radius of the curve on the layout is a bit larger than that of the actual real life location.  I did originally lay the curve with a tighter radius but changed it before it was stuck down as it just didn't look right.  I'm quite happy with the way it has turned out now.

Shaun

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything