!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 40586 times)

Offline Jim Martin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18071
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now Backdating "Tornado"...
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 01:49:32 pm »
Hi

Have you used the "back of a scalpel" method to remove printed nameplates? I want to get a grey and blue class 350 at some point and Farish only do that livery as 359111, one of only two "namers" in the entire fleet. I generally regard named MUs as an abomination (I make an exception for inter-city express units) so the plates are going to have to go and the whole thing renumbered; and I'm mulling over the best way to do it without damaging the paint job.

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now Backdating "Tornado"...
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 05:00:52 pm »
I've used it for plates on this model and others - some are more stubborn than others so the best thing to do is go really gently - if it doesn't take the plate off then work up rather than going in too aggressively and damaging the base paintwork. I generally use the blade which takes of most and then give a rub with a cotton bud soaked in eather white spirit or Microsol decal setting agent (usually whichevery is nearer, rather than any specific preference). This is particularly good for polishing the area for application of fresh decals.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now K1 from Farish B1
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2015, 01:46:07 am »
After a bit of chat on another thread about the possibility of converting a B1 to a K1, I thought I've have a go with a Farish B1.

The recipe so far has been:

- swap B1 wheels for 3MT wheels
- move the cylinder block back (similar to as K3)
- shorten valve gear and replace the coupling and eccentric rods with those from Farish Fairburn, fabricating eccentric motion bracket from another scrap eccentric rod.
- cut 6mm out of the boiler centre, and re-join
- lengthen and deepen the cab
- move front footplate forward and remodel
- front bogie from B1 removed and replaced with Farish Prairie front pony with Dapol A3 bogie wheelset

There is still a lot to do, and it's rough in areas (only had a quick slosh of black over boiler and cab joins to see bad areas).

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:56:27 am by Dr Al »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2015, 09:08:24 am »
After a bit of chat on another thread about the possibility of converting a B1 to a K1, I thought I've have a go with a Farish B1.

The recipe so far has been:

- swap B1 wheels for 3MT wheels
- move the cylinder block back (similar to as K3)
- shorten valve gear and replace the coupling and eccentric rods with those from Farish Fairburn, fabricating eccentric motion bracket from another scrap eccentric rod.
- cut 6mm out of the boiler centre, and re-join
- lengthen and deepen the cab
- move front footplate forward and remodel
- front bogie from B1 removed and replaced with Farish Prairie front pony with Dapol A3 bogie wheelset

There is still a lot to do, and it's rough in areas (only had a quick slosh of black over boiler and cab joins to see bad areas).

Cheers,
Alan

WOW  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:58 am »
That is a very lovely piece of modelling, proportions look spot on.  The side view makes me wonder if I should have another go at my much cruder whitemetal version and take a slice out of the boiler. Mine looks a bit front-heavy at the moment - it may be a long way from a scale model, but I would still like the basic proportions to be about right. You do realise that DJM will announce a K1 about two days after you finish yours?

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
I'm also looking at the photo of the new N class chassis in this month's RM and idly wondering whether a cut down Langley B1 body would fit.  But that would probably be an offence under the Misuse of Locomotive Mechanisms Act.

Richard

Offline Jonny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21937
  • Hartley and Dale End. wartime LNER
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2015, 10:28:31 am »
Quality work again Alan
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2015, 12:37:29 pm »
That is a very lovely piece of modelling, proportions look spot on.  The side view makes me wonder if I should have another go at my much cruder whitemetal version and take a slice out of the boiler. Mine looks a bit front-heavy at the moment - it may be a long way from a scale model, but I would still like the basic proportions to be about right. You do realise that DJM will announce a K1 about two days after you finish yours?

Taking a slice out the boiler may need consideration, as it may force you to move the cylinders and shorten the valve gear.

The N class is a distinct possibility - the drivers wheelbase is a smidge shorter than the B1, but has the advantage of having valve gear which is a pretty close representation of the K1. You could then use a Farish B1 body and a V2 tender (which would be trivial to couple to the N using a B1 drawbar). There are many ways of doing a K1 I think - the B1 is a nice option for me as they were cheap! And I have other ideas for the N.....

....mind you it's such a nice model it's difficult to consider cutting it about!

V2 tender top, N, my K1, B1 bottom.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2015, 01:01:27 pm »

Taking a slice out the boiler may need consideration, as it may force you to move the cylinders and shorten the valve gear.

At the moment the steam pipes on mine sit slightly forward of the centre of the cylinders so I can take a bit out without needing to get into fiddling with valve gear.  It's never going to be a remotely close to scale model, but that adjustment would make a difference to the side profile I think.  Thanks for posting comparison between the N and K1 - it does look a bit short, and as you say too pretty to start hacking about just to make another inaccurate K1.

Richard

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2015, 04:44:19 pm »
Outstanding work as always Alan. By the time you've finished I reckon you'll have just about every ex LNER prototype of any significance on your layout!!

Regards

Roy

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2015, 09:52:20 am »
Hey Alan, been off the grid for a bit so I'm only just catching up with things!

Love the K1 conversion! Funnily enough, I've bought an N class at TINGS last weekend for precisely this purpose (before I saw this thread!). At the moment I'm torn between using a Farish V2 tender or modifying a Dapol B1 tender to get the benefit of pinpoint tender pickups.

For reference the coupled wheelbase of the N class is 7'3, 8'3 against the K1's 7'3, 9' is the scale wheelbase is about 1.5mm out. The N classes wheels scale out at about 5'3 (as per the 3mt/4mt's wheels but should be 5'6 for the N) which is just about right for the K1's 5'2 wheels.

I'm also currently torn between following your example for my next K3 or using the N class chassis. If I could source some 5'8 driving wheels (with traction tyres) then I'd definitely go with the N class for this one too - currently the only modern Farish loco I know of with 5'8 drivers is the Fairburn which, unfortunately, doesn't have any traction tyres fitted.  :(

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:14 am »
Wondered where you'd disappeared to....  :P

For reference the coupled wheelbase of the N class is 7'3, 8'3 against the K1's 7'3, 9' is the scale wheelbase is about 1.5mm out. The N classes wheels scale out at about 5'3 (as per the 3mt/4mt's wheels but should be 5'6 for the N) which is just about right for the K1's 5'2 wheels.

The B1 is 7'3", 9' so is completely correct - this combined with 3MT wheels is as close to scale as is possible using current donors I think. B1 tender is completely correct too - zero mods needed (mine won't even be repainted - bonus as doing that straight lining takes effort!), so it's only the valve gear and body that need attention beyond that. Mind you, I have a bucket load of B1 parts, so am inclined to use them!

Having said that, I've made no futher progress on this - not through any problem, but just been doing other modelling things. Timeout is sometimes good too, will return to it afresh before the end of the year, as it sits centrally on my workbench right now awaiting fresh inspiration to take the next step.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2015, 11:12:32 am »
Wondered where you'd disappeared to....  :P

The B1 is 7'3", 9' so is completely correct - this combined with 3MT wheels is as close to scale as is possible using current donors I think. B1 tender is completely correct too - zero mods needed (mine won't even be repainted - bonus as doing that straight lining takes effort!), so it's only the valve gear and body that need attention beyond that. Mind you, I have a bucket load of B1 parts, so am inclined to use them!

Having said that, I've made no futher progress on this - not through any problem, but just been doing other modelling things. Timeout is sometimes good too, will return to it afresh before the end of the year, as it sits centrally on my workbench right now awaiting fresh inspiration to take the next step.

Cheers,
Alan

That's no excuse, come on now chop chop, get some modelling done otherwise your in danger of becoming an LMS modeller :)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2015, 01:25:34 pm »
That's no excuse, come on now chop chop, get some modelling done otherwise your in danger of becoming an LMS modeller :)

Are you implying LMS modellers don't do much .... :P  :P

Actually, I am already - done plenty of LMS prototypes, but neither LNER or LMS is on the workbench right now - I've been aircraft modelling instead  :thumbsup:

Keeps things fresh!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2015, 05:21:20 pm »

Are you implying LMS modellers don't do much .... :P  :P

Actually, I am already - done plenty of LMS prototypes, but neither LNER or LMS is on the workbench right now - I've been aircraft modelling instead  :thumbsup:

Keeps things fresh!

Cheers,
Alan

Alan to be fair we ponder about modelling a lot  :P

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations