!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 40570 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now what can be done in an hour? Class 31
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 03:44:14 pm »
So for something completely different.

It's often seen nowadays that folks do very little modelling, in some cases with the fear of damaging a new model. I've had this little project idea for a while, so thought I'd share it to show that you can achieve something unique without too much effort - an ideal starter.

The start point was a cheap new class 31 in blue from Farish. New tool model, so send the fear-of-damage-ometer up a few notches.

My intention was to change the identity and do a few minor tweaks to this to become 31283, an oddity in the class 31 fleet on having large logo style numbers:
http://www.wnxx.com/images/scrap/index.php?level=picture&id=1874

Also, I had the Lima OO model of this as a child so it's nice to finally resurrect it in N.

Starting point is to remove the original numbers. Gentle rubbing with the blunt end of a scalpel will take off the factory printing, and with care you have completely clean undamaged underlying paint. A rub over with Microsol takes off any last remnants:

New numbers can then be prepared from waterslide decals (Fox in this case). The Farish finish is satin enough that you can get away without needing a gloss finish to ensure no silvering of the decals, but use of decal softening solution can help ensure this (Microsol):

And going on:

Front end needs a few changes - the project loco had red bufferbeams, so while the decals are setting:

becomes, with addition of a coupling hook to help populate the area:

Another small upgrade is to paint the visible areas of the pickups (not too bad on the 31 but more prominant on other Farish locos):

becoming:

And that's it. Reassemble the model and you have a quick conversion to something different:

All in all this took in total just one hours work. Really the decals should be sealed with vanish, but this is offputting to newcomers, and you can generally get away without if careful (I will do it at some point). So it's worth considering having a go if you never have.

There's plenty more I may do to this including the more awkward cantrail line, some weathering, but already it's fit to use.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:16 pm »
Great 'kwiki' project there Alan.  8) I'm sure that you will be tackling the cantrail in the future (you're just that kinda modeller!) but nice to see what can be done...

Now where are those two A3's I need to rename/renumber....  :hmmm:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »
Very good 'how to', Alan. Thank you.
How do you keep the numbering on the level when, like me, you have hay fever and the old eyes are a bit 'squinty'?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »
How do you keep the numbering on the level when, like me, you have hay fever and the old eyes are a bit 'squinty'?

I do it by eye nobby, but you could place a piece of masking tape along the lower edge of where you intend the numbering to go and use that to align each individual digit.

HTH,
Alan

Offline apollo45115

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:11 am »
Very nicely done. Funnily enough it's on my to do list -  just waiting and hoping the 31 price comes down a bit. I remember seeing it a few times at treeton Junction as a child. And yes, I really wanted that Lima model. Couldn't complain though, I ended up with two blue and a dutch liveried one! I was very lucky, doing those chores paid off.

Carl

Offline Gordini5

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:16 pm »
How do you find the time Dr Al?

The K3 is just awesome in how you have amassed and assembled the parts. Superb modelling and the 31, you make it look so simple.

What's next on the workbench? :drool:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2015, 11:21:08 pm »

The K3 is just awesome in how you have amassed and assembled the parts. Superb modelling and the 31, you make it look so simple.

To be honest I didn't spend so much time on any of these - indeed the 31 was an exercise in how much can be done in a very short time. A lot of time was spent away from these projects when a hard bit was reached - do something else and come back to it afresh where a solution will invariably present itself. The most intense sessions were the decalling of the K3 - about 5 hours was spent on this over a couple of evenings.

Playing at the moment with weathering on some old duffers as tests, as the 31 just doesn't look right that clean! Got a recipe going now, so it'll be facing up to the pointy end of the airbrush soon.

Beyond that I'm hoping to complete another quick project soon, once the nameplates arrive - backdating a Farish 60163 A1 Tornado in BR blue to an A1 in this livery as it would have been in BR days in the early 1950s.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »
Very nicely done. Funnily enough it's on my to do list -  just waiting and hoping the 31 price comes down a bit. I remember seeing it a few times at treeton Junction as a child.

Did seem to be a loco that donned some odd variations on BR blue - as well as this large logo it also had a high level white stripe at one point before it got the large numbers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d210bob/6626473871/

Cheers,
Alan

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2015, 09:38:24 am »

To be honest I didn't spend so much time on any of these - indeed the 31 was an exercise in how much can be done in a very short time. A lot of time was spent away from these projects when a hard bit was reached - do something else and come back to it afresh where a solution will invariably present itself. The most intense sessions were the decalling of the K3 - about 5 hours was spent on this over a couple of evenings.

Playing at the moment with weathering on some old duffers as tests, as the 31 just doesn't look right that clean! Got a recipe going now, so it'll be facing up to the pointy end of the airbrush soon.

Beyond that I'm hoping to complete another quick project soon, once the nameplates arrive - backdating a Farish 60163 A1 Tornado in BR blue to an A1 in this livery as it would have been in BR days in the early 1950s.

Cheers,
Alan

Look forward to seeing that A1 - they (and the A4s) suited the blue livery, I reckon.

Got a little video clip (shaky - on my phone) of 60163 in that livery if:

a) it's any good to you;

b) I can post it here?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:40 am »
As seen at the Great Gathering of A4s at York.............

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:25 am »
By the sounds of it this conversion could be of interest to quite a few of you! Needs a little more than a simple renumber of Tornado though. I do like the BR blue - it and the crimson are a bit more vibrant than Brunswick green.

Always interested to see the vid and pics - thanks folks!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:23 am »
Sorry, video file too big at 39.5mb, apparently, and the file extension (AVI) isn't recognised.

Adding something unrelated by way of compensation.(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now Backdating "Tornado"...
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:17 pm »
New quick project.

Starting point is a standard Farish A1 60163 "Tornado" in blue. I've always liked the early shortlived BR blue, but want an A1 in BR days condition. This requires a bit of backdating to remove the modern features of "Tornado".

The initial model (with some detail bits fitted already, like the draincocks, cab doors):

The tender is the big problem. Tornado has had it's water space extended into the tender well, as well as having the coal space shortened to give more water capacity also. Neither of these are authentic to the original so need backdating:

The first step was to swap the spoked tender wheels with a set of discs. Most A1s had discs, but the last two had spokes. I just didn't fancy their names! Thanks to Atso for doing a straight swap for me.

Next is to get rid of electrification warning flashes. There are only 4 on the loco, two on the front frames that are simple to paint out, two on the boiler that need gentle scraping to ensure no damage to the underlying paint. Pic shows one removed (bottom) and one still in place (top):

Off come the numbers - using the back side of a scalpel to gently chip off the print without damaging the base blue:

Identityless:

Nameplates go too:

Renumbered

New nameplates (very nice etches from Lythcett):

Hacking the tender - aim is to remove the raised water tank area and reinstate the lowered well. The coal space needs enlarged too to match the original format of the A1 tender, as shown on the green model. Drilling has begun already in the pic to cut out with care the extended tank.

The area reinstated in 20thou plasticard, with water fille cap reused. The original coal space boundary still in place showing how much the real loco has had this cut down:

Bye-bye old coal space...:

The resulting loco so far:

Is now pretty close to done - needs a little tidying and for the paint to dry, and add some coal. Another quick project - total time on this about 3 hours. There are aspects which will remain wrong - the low front numberplate and the lipped chimney will remain as I quite like them, even though it really should have a high numberplate and a lip-less chimney. Rule 1 and all that. But it's representative of the A1s in the early 1950s which is the aim.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:18 am »
I'm with you - I like the lipped chimney.

Looks great in blue and drilling the tender out was a bold move!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51:04 am »
Very nice conversion, Alan.
To a ham-fisted old codger like me you make it look easy but I'm sure it wouldn't turn out like that if I attempted it :no:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything