!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 42331 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: was Atso K3, now back to K1
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »
Anyway, lighthearted joking aside, when are you going to get the decals on Alan???  :D

A once over to tidy some minor points, another coat of black in those areas, then gloss before decals can be done, Steve.

What's been happening with you - been quiet recently...  :)

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:42:29 pm by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2015, 06:15:58 pm »
A once over to tidy some minor points, another coat of black in those areas, then gloss before decals can be done, Steve.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress! I've still got some tinkering to do with my 3D printed version but using the Farish N class chassis cobbled to an old V2 tender (not for me I might add as it is a few years out of period for me!).

What's been happening with you - been quiet recently...  :)

Not a huge amount at the moment to be honest. Started a new Job in September (having been unemployed for the previous eleven months!) so this has taken a bit of time. I'm currently designing some etches for various bits and pieces as well as altering a few CAD files to take into account my current practices on the 3D printer. Hopefully I'll have some updates on these (projects for both myself and a couple of members) come the end of the month.

All hasn't been completely quiet though, I've been butchering a couple of Peco signal box kits the progress of which can be found here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30088.msg343081#new

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »
then gloss before decals can be done, Steve.

I know you'll gloss it anyway, Alan, but for some reason I very much like it as matt :hmmm:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2015, 09:05:04 pm »
I know you'll gloss it anyway, Alan, but for some reason I very much like it as matt :hmmm:

Fear not Nobby - it'll ultimately be matt coted. Just need gloss stage for proper decal adhesion.

cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2015, 12:41:34 am »
Progress has been swift on this, and after fitting front steps, a quick tidy up of rough areas, the shell had these areas re-coated in black and then glossed yesterday.

Tonight the decals went on, and manged to get these mostly complete bar the front numberplate (which is too small so will have to be replaced  :doh: ) and a few minor adjusts.

Will look a lot better when it's been matt-coted though! Need to fix the slant on the cylinder block too as this is not right.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:50:12 am by Dr Al »

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2015, 12:03:11 am »
Looking very very good Alan.  8)

I do love the attempts these lesser railways made to copy the mighty machines of the LMS, I'm sure if they asked nicely the LMS would have built them some nice Ivatt Moguls.

I'm reminded here of something Mike J posted once:

Duchesses are red,
A4's are blue,
126 mph for the A4,
The Duchess just couldn't do...

Re the above rhym... we'll conviently forget that Mallard's middle big end suffered some serious damage from running that fast and needed to be towed away for repairs....  :P

Anyway, lighthearted joking aside, when are you going to get the decals on Alan???  :D

Except that Mallard was taken off the train as a precaution and was back in service in a few days with middle big end intact and still with its phials of smelly stuff unbroken.

It was an earlier run where the middle big end failed- the cause that time being that the driver hadn't been briefed beforehand and only found out when Thompson (I think) came through the corridor tender and instructed him to go flat out- this at Grantham with an engine not prepared for the task....  Source Peter Coster's book.

Les

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2015, 01:49:02 pm »
This one's all but complete now after final varnishing.

What a stunning model - need to raise my game!

Mike

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2015, 01:52:51 pm »
Except that Mallard was taken off the train as a precaution and was back in service in a few days with middle big end intact and still with its phials of smelly stuff unbroken.

It was an earlier run where the middle big end failed- the cause that time being that the driver hadn't been briefed beforehand and only found out when Thompson (I think) came through the corridor tender and instructed him to go flat out- this at Grantham with an engine not prepared for the task....  Source Peter Coster's book.

This is OT, but very interesting - are you basically saying that Mallard's stop has been wrongly reported as big end failure/run hot for all these years?

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2015, 02:15:49 pm »
This one's getting very close now. Has been dullcoted and decalling completed with the lining on the tender footplate which Farish omit on the B1 for some reason.

A few bits still to do - paint cab floor and reinstate the B1 cab glazing, as well as a few tidy ups of areas (at refit the sandpipe which both came off in handling  :confused1: ).

I also fixed the cylinder slant and painted them black.

Just a few pics as lighting isn't great today, so doesn't flatter!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2015, 02:23:12 pm »
Terrific work, Alan :drool:

Offline Luke Piewalker

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2015, 09:54:21 pm »
Indeed, smashing!

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2015, 10:59:41 pm »

That is correct- source Peter Coster.  The loco was removed as a precaution and a few prominent railway journalists seem to have put two and two together to make five...

Les
This is OT, but very interesting - are you basically saying that Mallard's stop has been wrongly reported as big end failure/run hot for all these years?

Cheers,
Alan

That is correct- source Peter Coster.  The loco was removed as a precaution and a few prominent railway journalists (CJA and others) seem to have put two and two together to make five...

Les

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2015, 11:01:55 pm »
This one's getting very close now. Has been dullcoted and decalling completed with the lining on the tender footplate which Farish omit on the B1 for some reason.

A few bits still to do - paint cab floor and reinstate the B1 cab glazing, as well as a few tidy ups of areas (at refit the sandpipe which both came off in handling  :confused1: ).

I also fixed the cylinder slant and painted them black.

Just a few pics as lighting isn't great today, so doesn't flatter!

Cheers,
Alan

IMHO the lighting on the two most recent pics makes the loco look like a real workhorse.

Les

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2015, 10:54:00 pm »
Now that is stunning! (Even for a post Gresley locomotive!)  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2015, 07:01:04 am »
Cant wait to se the next Loco to leave your locomotive works.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here