!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hailstone's Workbench  (Read 10052 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Hailstone's Workbench
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2018, 12:27:46 am »
I have now put the transfers on the body of Met No5 and added the current collecting bars to the bogies. all that remains is the nameplates, which have been ordered from Narrow Planet and hopefully should arrive in a few weeks.

I have also completed the INSIXFISH vans

the Palvans and Medfits need transfers, so I must work out which sheet I need, having done the 2 pipe wagons with transfers that I already had.

I then decide to try and finish the Kits in my round to it box so next was the GWR Monster van

and whilst the primer was drying on that,I made a start on the Pigeon van kit by @Atso (pictures to follow) it is one of the original resin kits which I bought when it first came out.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2018, 01:59:58 pm »
With a bit of advice from @Atso the Pigeon van chassis ready to go into the ultrasonic cleaner, the body is already in primer

Regards,

Alex

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

I especially like the INSIXFISH vans. :thumbsup:

But I'm fixated by the little anvil, it's so cute and the ideal size. Can I ask where you got it Alex?
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »
I bought it at a model railway show some time ago, either TINGS or Ally Pally I think from one of the larger tool stalls. it comes in very handy for a lot of jobs, sometimes with a tiny hammer for flattening bent etched parts.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2018, 12:56:24 am »
Once I had built the Chassis, the body of the pigeon van was easy to work on and required very little in the way of cleaning, so it was on to the paint shop, following the Monster

and by the end of the day all that remains is to apply glazing to the Pigeon van, and transfers to be sourced for both

All in all, a pretty good day in the works.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2018, 02:09:06 pm »
You'll do anything to make me feel guilty, at my lack of progress....

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »
You'll do anything to make me feel guilty, at my lack of progress....

Jerry
Not to worry jerry, I can buy you a beer and give you a motivational kick up the behind next week, I'm sure they will both work wonders!

Regards,

Alex

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2018, 06:20:07 pm »
Lovely models there Alex!

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2018, 09:42:55 am »
Somehow, I missed the recent updates, Alex, after "TROJAN". Where did the kit for your lovely 0-6-0PT 1370 come from, please? I've long wanted a Wadebridge allocated one.

Which kit did you use for the INSIXFISH vans, please? Are they GWR vehicles?

The 'Pigeon Van' is on my list as I've seen a photo. of one in the West Country; the 'Monster' looks very nice, too, although less easy to justify.

I look forward to the update on the 'Siphon G' models, as I have a lot of these to update. (There was a very informative article in the latest NGS magazine but I don't think it is the final say on the topic?)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:45:28 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »
Somehow, I missed the recent updates, Alex, after "TROJAN". Where did the kit for your lovely 0-6-0PT 1370 come from, please? I've long wanted a Wadebridge allocated one.

Which kit did you use for the INSIXFISH vans, please? Are they GWR vehicles?

The 'Pigeon Van' is on my list as I've seen a photo. of one in the West Country; the 'Monster' looks very nice, too, although less easy to justify.

I look forward to the update on the 'Siphon G' models, as I have a lot of these to update. (There was a very informative article in the latest NGS magazine but I don't think it is the final say on the topic?)

the 1366 class pannier was an ABS Beaver kit I believe, and I have 2 of them bought complete from ebay, one in great western green which was beautifully finished so I have kept it as it is to run on Tremierten, and the other which looked like it had been badly put together and painted with a yard broom! the body was place in a bath of nitromors and promptly fell apart into its constituent components, so I basically treated it as a new kit and must say that I am happy with the result. I just wish I could find a decent chassis for it, but I am no chassis builder (yet).

The Insixfish vans were built about 1948 for the GWR I have the info but I am on holiday in Cornwall until Wednesday, I will post the info here next week. The kits were from County rolling stock and had been in my round to it box for some time. I don't think they are available now, but Richard who ran County rolling stock gave a lot of his designs to Peedie models, so one can hope that we will see them again. I would personally like another 3 of them.

The Pigeon van is one of Atso's original resin body kits and was a pleasure to build (I should have done it ages ago!) and the Monster was originally bought to be a tool van for the breakdown crane I was going to build, but has been put in revenue earning service and is a relatively easy conversion once you get over cutting a siphon H body about.

And as for emptying the round to it box, that simply didn't happen because I bought some more at TINGS!

Ah well, back to the beer - toodle pip!

Alex
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:02:58 pm by Hailstone »

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
The advertising blurb was that Double Diamond worked wonders, but you'd be hard pressed to buy him a pint of that these days...lol  (the unpasteurised real ale version was Burton ale, a lovely pint but even that's gone)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2018, 12:38:21 pm »
Many thanks, Alex, for your quick and detailed reply. Enjoy your holiday. You were very lucky t get those two 1366 class pannier tank models. Could they be 3D printed and mounted on a suitable (Japanese?) 0-6-0 chassis? I guess there would be no room for a DCC chip, though.

Let's hope, then, that Peedie Models bring out the INSIXFISH van kits.

Are those two ATSO kits still available or have they been replaced by 3D printed ones? I think that there is a 3D printed LNER pigeon van?

I look forward t seeing your next projects develop over the Winter.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:01 pm »

Are those two ATSO kits still available or have they been replaced by 3D printed ones? I think that there is a 3D printed LNER pigeon van?

Hi Chris, I only did the pigeon van which is now available in 3D printed format. I may revisit this as a resin kit in the future but no promises as to when. The Monster is nothing to do with me I'm afraid (lovely looking kit though!).

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2018, 04:32:27 pm »
Sorry Chris, I forgot ot say that the Monster kit is from Osborn's models

Regards,

Alex

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2018, 07:46:44 pm »

Hi Chris, I only did the pigeon van which is now available in 3D printed format. I may revisit this as a resin kit in the future but no promises as to when. The Monster is nothing to do with me I'm afraid (lovely looking kit though!).

Thanks for the quick response, re: the Pigeon Van and the 'Monster' (I had thought it was an Osborn's models kit to go on a Dapol Siphon chassis?).

I will definitely be ordering at least one 3D-printed Pigeon van but I can only spraypaint in the Summer holidays so it may be a while before I order. Then there's the problem of suitable BR WR transfers?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here