!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 42383 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »
Hi,

As well as Atso's L1, I've also started on a K3 3D print. Nothing done to the print yet other than a dusting of primer, but have got the chassis complete to first order.

Uses a Farish B1 with the cylinder block moved back (dremelled out lump of chassis block to do this) and Farish Crab eccentric rods and hangers, Farish prairie connecting rods.

Front bogie is front Farish Prairie also, with Dapol A4 wheels. This needs more tweaking but shouild work ok.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:54:41 pm by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: AtsoCad LNER Gresley K3 2-6-0
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:49:23 pm »
Very neatly done Alan, I look forward to seeing another fine loco in due course!

Regards

Roy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:54:05 pm »
Looks like another excellent build in progress, Alan.
It just makes me wonder where on earth you manage to get all the 'bits' from as it's stuff not many of us would have lying around.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:41 pm »
Looks like another excellent build in progress, Alan.
It just makes me wonder where on earth you manage to get all the 'bits' from as it's stuff not many of us would have lying around.

After 18 years of N gauge modelling you accumulate some amount of parts - I keep everything - and in this case had a scrap Crab central wheel in this instance, which donated it's valve gear to this project.

I suspect you could get such a part from BR Lines though.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:26 pm »
Looks great Alan!  8) Lovely work on the valve gear, did you shorten the chassis weight as well?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:22:03 pm »
Looks great Alan!  8) Lovely work on the valve gear, did you shorten the chassis weight as well?

No it's untouched. It neatly locks into the smokebox, just as though it was meant to be.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:28:07 pm »
No it's untouched. It neatly locks into the smokebox, just as though it was meant to be.

Sounds like the B1 had a useful design throwback to the old Farish V2 then! I can't continue to get this lucky whenever people decide to use chassis that my 3D printed bodies weren't designed for!  :P

Can't wait to start mine now, although it'll be using mainly 3MT valve gear spares as previously discussed (fingers crossed!).

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:31:14 pm »
Sounds like the B1 had a useful design throwback to the old Farish V2 then! I can't continue to get this lucky whenever people decide to use chassis that my 3D printed bodies weren't designed for!  :P

Can't wait to start mine now, although it'll be using mainly 3MT valve gear spares as previously discussed (fingers crossed!).

It is uncanny how well it works - locks in, perfect positioning and holds body on ok. Once the cab is built up at back a screw will hold it rigid. The loco sits nice and low aswell, which is something I'm particularly happy about - N gauge locos up on stilts (all too common) ruin their appearance IMHO.

Hardest bit of this conversion is hacking out the space for the cylinders to sit in - required a fair bit of dremelling.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »
Yes, locomotive bodies sitting high on the chassis is a pet peeve of mine too! The K3 may eventually have a redesign to provide a cab and screw arrangement for anyone else wanting to go down the B1 conversion route.

I've got a fretting machine somewhere so hopefully that can be employed to 'cut out' some of the dremel work!  :smiley-laughing:

How have you secured the bogie? I'm planning to use a spare 3MT bogie (all parts salvaged from my N2 conversion) but I'll need to make a new mounting point for it.

You might be interested in this little bit of exploring I did today  ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:47:37 pm »
How have you secured the bogie? I'm planning to use a spare 3MT bogie (all parts salvaged from my N2 conversion) but I'll need to make a new mounting point for it.

It's just attached with the standard B1 screw. But the bogie hole is way too large so will need plated over and redrilled to remove slop. Should work fine.

Very interested.....the V1/V3 is one I'd jump at getting hold of!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
An alternative to the Fariburn as a Donor for the V1...

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 01:46:43 pm »
An alternative to the Fariburn as a Donor for the V1...

Both are close, though neither has quite the right wheel spacing (i.e. they are equal rather than having the central drivers forward - for the more insane of us the Farish B1/V2 chassis combination is probably the closest here!  :D  :D

The side tanks would need to be trimmed back on the 3MT - ok the body would go, but beneath it there is solid chassis which extends into the side tanks, which would have to be dremelled off - therefore the Stanier might be easier.

Are you actually seriously considering a V1?

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
Hi Alan,

Yes, I'm seriously considering a V1. Its been on my to do list as a personal project for some time - ever since I found out one was allocated to Kings X for a year in 1930!

The 3MT chassis weight is actually separate to the chassis block while the Fairburn's is integral so I think the 3MT may well lend itself better to this.

The V2 chassis idea has merit but you'll need a new motor, wheels, weight and some serious modification to the chassis block (as per your V2s) so the 3MT might be the better bet.

For my own V2, I plan on swapping the cylinders, slide bar and crossheads with the B1s (the 3MT parts will be donated towards the rebuild of my K2!). I've also come up with a possible method of extending the rear part of the wheelbase of the 3MT which I have sent you in a PM.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:42 am »
Well, some more progress finally made, and I know Steve is eager to see it!

All the details have now gone on, cab interior built up from plasticard and a heavily modified Farish V2 footplate and boiler backhead. A number of the detail parts have come from N Brass castings tree for the K3, which I frankly forgot I had. The cast safety valves for instance should be more robust than the 3D printed ones. Needs now a good clean up, front steps are coming off and be redone as I'm not happy with them, but otherwise most of the hard bits are now done.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 09:08:49 am »
Alan, that looks incredible! I really like the fact you've managed to drill out the front of the cab to take the handrails. This is something I didn't do on the CAD (after much thought) due to the weakness it would put on the model during the printing process - good to see it can be done!  8)

The cab interior looks great and interesting it see you solution for attaching the rear of the loco. That looks like a V2 insulation spacer under the cab floor, did you add a nut or is the screw simply screwed directly into the floor?

Anyway, that's looking every bit a K3 now and I really must get on with my K2s and K3s using this conversion method!

Now hurry up and slap some paint on it!  :P

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything