Farish 2015/6 range announcement..

Started by scruff, March 01, 2015, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jools

As someone modelling 85-05 There's quite a few promising announcements in there - mostly the additional liverys for the new tooling mk1's,
I'm also glad the scenecraft range has had quite a few 00 items shrink ray'ed - cycle lockers and various other bits look good.

Having said that as I'm still waiting on preorders placed after the last announcement, I won't hold out any hope of seeing any these for some time yet!

Someone mentioned that bachman website was showing all steamers had switched to "DCC on board" - I think this is a mistake on the website which it looks like they are still updating -
The image that shows "dcc on board" image seems to have been swapped  with the "DCC compatible one" - that's clear because the "on board" icon is now listed next to existing models that we know have 6 pin decoder sockets..

unless farish have replaced the pcb's in half the range to have "on board" decodes without changing stock numbers ...  :-\

paulprice

I know I should not really complain, because as some people say the current situation is a lot better than it use to be but is that not the point?

I thought the idea was to bring out better and better models, just like we aim to build better and better models. That said I think the announcements are pretty boring (I can hear the shouts of outrage from here) and a pre-nationalisation modeller I cant see anything that will tempt me to release the vice like grip I have on my wallet  :P :P

DELETED

QuoteI know I should not really complain, because as some people say the current situation is a lot better than it use to be but is that not the point?

I thought the idea was to bring out better and better models, just like we aim to build better and better models. That said I think the announcements are pretty boring (I can hear the shouts of outrage from here) and a pre-nationalisation modeller I cant see anything that will tempt me to release the vice like grip I have on my wallet

Regardless what it used to be in previous decades.  I forgot to buy the bottle of apathy allot of others seem to have.  I never experienced this in any other club, hobby, genre or anything outside of work.  Meh I still say never pre-order anything out of stock, I've been burned so many times.  Production dates slip too far, production runs sell out too quick.  Tis what it is.

I'm very happy, there's enough to keep me busy buying for the next couple of years.  The class 40 will be gratefully received.

Jamie

NeMo

Quote from: newportnobby on March 02, 2015, 09:50:51 PM
Loads of class 50's were seen in the NW running through the Lune valley so you're totally justified in running one or more on your layout, Paul :thumbsup:
Yes, but those would be pre-refurbishment ones, and presumably running as D4xx rather than 500xx. Among other differences to the Western Region iteration of the Class 50s c.1980, they'd have working headcodes and no headlight on the cab end. Obviously also in BR blue rather than large logo livery (which I thought rather suited them).

Quote from: paulprice on March 02, 2015, 11:35:43 PM
That said I think the announcements are pretty boring (I can hear the shouts of outrage from here) and a pre-nationalisation modeller I cant see anything that will tempt me to release the vice like grip I have on my wallet  :P :P
Or rather, perhaps this would a good year to try something new. Instead of buying a ready to run train, why not make a couple of wagon kits? Or paint a resin body for an existing loco chassis? Choose something simple that's unlikely to go terribly wrong and won't cost a lot of money while you try.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

paulprice

Quote from: NeMo on March 03, 2015, 06:42:07 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on March 02, 2015, 09:50:51 PM
Loads of class 50's were seen in the NW running through the Lune valley so you're totally justified in running one or more on your layout, Paul :thumbsup:
Yes, but those would be pre-refurbishment ones, and presumably running as D4xx rather than 500xx. Among other differences to the Western Region iteration of the Class 50s c.1980, they'd have working headcodes and no headlight on the cab end. Obviously also in BR blue rather than large logo livery (which I thought rather suited them).

Quote from: paulprice on March 02, 2015, 11:35:43 PM
That said I think the announcements are pretty boring (I can hear the shouts of outrage from here) and a pre-nationalisation modeller I cant see anything that will tempt me to release the vice like grip I have on my wallet  :P :P
Or rather, perhaps this would a good year to try something new. Instead of buying a ready to run train, why not make a couple of wagon kits? Or paint a resin body for an existing loco chassis? Choose something simple that's unlikely to go terribly wrong and won't cost a lot of money while you try.

Cheers, NeMo

NeMo

Thanks for the advice I and its something I do on a regular basis, I must have in excess of 100 kit built ites of rolling stock that at I push I could use on my current layout, and nearly 20 locomotives I have kit built, scratch built or modified.

but what I really miss being a big kid at heart is the buzz you get when you go to the local shop, splash the cash and take home the a long wanted item.

The last time this happened was when the maroon jubilees were first released. Im still looking for an LMS liveried Ivatt, but the ones I considered buying in the shops had running issues, but that's another story :)

gc4946

Before last year's announcement I predicted a new class 40 to appear in N, now it's definite - good move as the DCC ready chassis could eventually replace the chassis under the other Peaks.

Interesting they haven't announced any new re-liveried steam locos this time round, but a lot have been released recently or are in the pipeline.

Will Dapol cancel their J72 now that Farish have announced one ...?

Otherwise it's good to see the NGS commissions (SR bogie Queen Mary brake van, LMS inspection saloon) become part of the main range and thoughtfully a Bulleid three-coach pack is planned.

Overall Farish are trying to catch up on their previous announcements - I wasn't aware that their factory is going through a reorganisation, so to me it's understandable that they didn't want to announce so many new items whilst this is all happening in the background.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

sparky

I hope they produce a range of DCC ready peaks 45/46 with working lights in the not too distant future as I think this is the  biggest gap for diesel modellers.The sound fitted 108 is not a surprise as the bodies already have the space for a speaker...it will be interesting if the trend for DCC sound fitted as an option in OO gauge becomes more common in N and starts to bring sound fitted locos costs down to a reasonable premium over non sound

MJKERR

Quote from: Jools on March 02, 2015, 11:34:18 PMThe image that shows "dcc on board" image seems to have been swapped  with the "DCC compatible one" - that's clear because the "on board" icon is now listed next to existing models that we know have 6 pin decoder sockets..
Can someone confirm if the following come with a decoder fitted (shown as DCC On Board) :
371-165 37407 
371-166 37406

Karhedron

Quote from: gc4946 on March 03, 2015, 07:50:28 AM
Will Dapol cancel their J72 now that Farish have announced one ...?
That is the big question. Dapol came off worse last time they went head-to-head on the B1. I guess a lot of it depends on how far advanced Dapol's work is. They made the announcement 6 months ago.

Slightly peeved at Farish, they have known for months that Dapol are working on this so why pick the same prototype? If they want to do another tank engine, how about an N gauge version of the 94xx they have just announced in 00?
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

OwL

I think the biggest losers out here are the steam era but I guess Farish will benefit them next year.

The biggest winner is ultra modern era with a colas 60, DRS + DBS 66, an EWS Class 60035 (which I have already in the form of a CJM :smackedface:)
and of course the class 20 weed killer train. (I think they should have done a DRS twin pack as well!)

I'm hoping that a colas class 70 + 37 will appear next year as they have announced the OO gauge version.

All in all I'm pleased with Farish and what they have offered.
Let's see what Dapol counter with!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Dr Al

Quote from: Karhedron on March 03, 2015, 08:49:29 AM
Slightly peeved at Farish, they have known for months that Dapol are working on this so why pick the same prototype? If they want to do another tank engine, how about an N gauge version of the 94xx they have just announced in 00?

The reason for the J72 is obvious - they are also revamping their OO one so presumably are doing the R+D in parallel for both scales which makes sense. I suspect Bachmann might beat Dapol, as Dapol seem to be struggling to do much these days - there are so many models ahead in the queue at Dapol that still haven't appeared.

Will be interesting to see (if both models are produced) which is superior. Farish now definitely have the superior motor IMHO with their coreless can, but Dapol tend to still be more consistent with wheels and quartering (still a weak area on many Farish models). Might be a difficult decision........

Maybe a 94xx will come, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 64xx has been done in case there are common components they can use from it.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

ScottyStitch

Going by some of the comments on this thread and others, it feels like Farish can't win. If they announce a raft of new models, that they clearly lack the capacity or resources to deliver within a meaningful schedule, they are (perhaps rightly) slated for taking too much on, and if they make an announcement that is more within their means, it's boring, un-imaginitive, nothing in it for me, etc.

There are still a lot of models in their previous lists that have yet to see the light of day, so why would we want them to apply even more pressure to themselves?

That said, I'm inclined to agree with Karhedron. It seems a bit churlish to go down the J72 route, although Dr AL's comment is noted. Why not build something that closely compliments it instead?

A re-tooled 40 has been near the top of wish-lists for a number of years now, and so I'm sure they will sell bucket loads of them. A re-run of Mark1s without weathering is very welcome, and a new colour scheme on them to boot.

trkilliman

I do wonder if Farish are playing (financial) games with Dapol. They could surely take a financial hit on sales much better than Dapol? Having two identical models at the same time will of course impact on Dapol's sales.  I'm sure industrial espionage is not confined to simply the like of aircraft manufacturers etc.

Perhaps a case of David and Goliath, with the bigger of the two teasing the smaller (cat and mouse)  Eventually the cat will pounce and devour the mouse.

It was a few years back, but the last big show I went to left me in no doubt their was little or no regard from Bachmann stand sales staff towards Dapol.

Some may think my comments a bit OTT, but this duplication thing is becoming increasingly regular for it to be coincidental. Just my opinion guys.

Karhedron

I doubt any manufacturer feels very much regard for a close competitor. Apple vs Samsung anyone?

I suspect there is less skulduggery than we might suppose, Dr Al is probably on the money that the decision was made about the J72 at the same time as the 00 version. They either believe they can get it out ahead of Dapol or simply don't care about the duplication. :(
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations