!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would You Buy a Crowd Funded NBL Type 2 Diesel-Electric Locomotive in N Gauge?

No
31 (42.5%)
Yes - One Model
19 (26%)
Yes - Two Models
12 (16.4%)
Yes - More Than Two Models
5 (6.8%)
Yes - One Plus At Least One Dummy
6 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: NBL Type 2 Class 21/29 - A Crowdfunded Case Study  (Read 20318 times)

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
Re: NBL Type 2 Class 21/29 - A Crowdfunded Case Study
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
Although this is well outside my era and area. One question has come to me.

Were any of them preserved? Two fold reasoning if one has been that helps with R&D the second is that it could allow a bit of rule one running for people model the likes of modern image.

I modern image but there has been a deltic and western mainline frieght duties, my logic been if it exsists right now I can run it

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:16 pm »
Although this is well outside my era and area. One question has come to me.

Were any of them preserved? Two fold reasoning if one has been that helps with R&D the second is that it could allow a bit of rule one running for people model the likes of modern image.

I modern image but there has been a deltic and western mainline frieght duties, my logic been if it exsists right now I can run it

Sadly none survived.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »
www.flickr.com/photos/31767778@N06/2995628142

Princess St Gardens Glasgow Edinburgh Rugby Special

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »
It's an interesting problem with this idea... As one doesn't exist, you cannot do a laser scan, the cost probably about 5-6 K for a laser scan.  The cost to make a viable CAD which a tool would be made from to all intensive purposes 99% perfect will run into the 10's of 000's ..... There lies your initial issue.  I'm sure BR Detailed schematics could be obtained from the NRM archived, but its the time (which is money!!) to pay a CAD designer to change paper to PC which is the expensive part (more so than the Pendo project as Ben and Mike were able to find one to scan thanks to Virgin)... I had all the drawings for my class 128 and also the donor chassis from a 122, it took me about 6 months to create the body using drawings and CAD (it's probably only 85% correct even now but looks good enough for us modellers)...I do however wish you the greatest of luck on this one...
Paul.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:36:26 pm by Only Me »

ScottyStitch

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 11:49:25 am »
Class 21 D6142. The Inverurie Works, behind the locomotive have been recently converted into flats/appartments. The building looks exactly the same though, happily.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/9717874284/

ScottyStitch

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
It's an interesting problem with this idea... As one doesn't exist, you cannot do a laser scan, the cost probably about 5-6 K for a laser scan.  The cost to make a viable CAD which a tool would be made from to all intensive purposes 99% perfect will run into the 10's of 000's ..... There lies your initial issue.  I'm sure BR Detailed schematics could be obtained from the NRM archived, but its the time (which is money!!) to pay a CAD designer to change paper to PC which is the expensive part (more so than the Pendo project as Ben and Mike were able to find one to scan thanks to Virgin)... I had all the drawings for my class 128 and also the donor chassis from a 122, it took me about 6 months to create the body using drawings and CAD (it's probably only 85% correct even now but looks good enough for us modellers)...I do however wish you the greatest of luck on this one...
Paul.

Hi Paul, I think this would have it's best chance of success if partnered with Dapo,l to give them a cash injection and incentive to bring an N-gauge version to market, perhaps sooner rather than later. They are still non-commital, watching the OOs fortunes. Their 00 verison is imminent I believe, and my understanding now is that they used the original drawings that I was trying to track down, to construct their CAD.

With the difficult bit done, perhaps crowdfunding could provide the funding to to shrink the CAD, etc...........

If Dapol were not agreeable to that then the project perhaps becomes more difficult, since any new partner would , presuambly, have to start again.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2015, 04:26:10 pm »

Hello all,

I happen to know that Dapol obtained the original North British drawings via Glasgow University library, which holds an enormous archive of Scottish material http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_University_Library though they had to pay a fee.

For a 21/29 the obvious starting point would be the 22 CAD as it's widely agreed that Dapol have nailed the characteristic NB "sad-eyed" look.

They could possibly use the same cab glazing tools as they use on the 22.  But there'd still be a lot of work in designing whole new body, drive-train and bogie sides; together with creating the headcode boxs for the 29 version.

If they've already done that in OO, but decided it's not worth the investment in N, this is exactly where Mike and I see Revolution coming in - through our website we find enough customers and pre-orders to take risk out of the equation, giving Dapol the confidence to proceed.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »
KINGS CROSS NRM
Title: King's Cross station, 1959

Date: 1959-08-09

Place: London, England

Description: Class 21 and Class 40 diesel electric locomotives at London's King's Cross station, 9 August 1959.
" National Railway Museum and SSPL"

Offline WesternKing

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:29 pm »
I would pledge to buy a class 21 in green with small yellow warning panels & a class 29 in blue with full yellow ends!

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »
I would pledge to buy a class 21 in green with small yellow warning panels & a class 29 in blue with full yellow ends!

Hope you voted as well.

Offline WesternKing

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »
Have done now! :-)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »
I hope Dapol are very careful with the photographic evidence. The supposedly NB derived drawings I have seen are all wrong on the roof, not just 'details' but completely fictional. Just about every existing 21/29 model is also completely wrong.

I've even seen magazine articles that reproduce the bogus drawings next to a picture clearly showing the drawing is crap  :doh:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »
KINGS CROSS NRM
Title: King's Cross station, 1959

Date: 1959-08-09

Place: London, England

Description: Class 21 and Class 40 diesel electric locomotives at London's King's Cross station, 9 August 1959.
" National Railway Museum and SSPL"

The loco on the right doesn't look like a class 40, If it is then it is going to have awful problems turning corners because it has shrouded buffers and a 40 has the buffers on the bogie. It looks awfully like a class 23 Baby Deltic.
Cheers
Mark

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »
The loco on the right doesn't look like a class 40, If it is then it is going to have awful problems turning corners because it has shrouded buffers and a 40 has the buffers on the bogie. It looks awfully like a class 23 Baby Deltic.
Cheers
Mark
Agreed. Looking at one of the Haresnape books, it seems that they both had that ladder on the nose, but the D5900s lacked those two funny wedge-shaped things at the front, between the wheels, so typical of the D200s.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:23 am »
Scruff   NeMo

The photo is " National Railway Museum and SSPL"

Maybe they don't realise? Maybe you'd drop them a note?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here