!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (38.3%)
No I wouldn't
69 (42.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 210343 times)

red_death, Vonzack, Dave Searle, blackwatch02, cazadoom, davidinyork, alibuchan, JonHarbour, free debt man, nobby, Kaian and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:44 pm »
everyone go out and buy the Farish Desiro and/or the 4CEP, or for that matter the Dapol 86.
Er - no.   :thumbsdown:
Perhaps you mean "everyone who is interested in sparkies" ... but that is not what you wrote ...
Indeed Mike, but in context with the sentences before and after, it was surely pretty obvious what I meant! And would anyone wanting kettles instead of sparkies be reading a thread about Pendolinos...?  :hmmm:

Cheers, NeMo

Online alibuchan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »
Hi guys,

Looks like there will be a kick starter project coming around October/November time.

It is looking like we will get 4 different running numbers with each number getting 250 - 9 car sets. All of the sets will be powered for this run. The expected price would be £250 per set.

If you order multiples you would get different numbers as long as you don't order 5. Of course you can order more than 5 but one of them would be a repeated number!

After a set amount of time the tooling would pass on to DJM. The initial 4 numbers wouldn't be run again, giving us a true limited edition. With a possibility of a dummy one afterwards if Dave decides to do this. There would be a significant increase to the price at this point.

The model will not be produced until there has been a model released (in either 00 or N) from Dave, so that the quality of the product can be looked at.

The initial run could be increased if we were to get somewhere close to the golden figure! Everyone who backs this product for the £250 would be guaranteed to receive one of the initial batch.

It will be run by Ben Ando and Mike Hale who have done this type of project within the N Gauge Society with their wagon projects.

We need to get this spread as far and as wide as possible so that we can get the Pendolino's that we all want!

If there are any questions put them in this topic and I'm sure answers will be forthcoming as soon as they are known.

Alistair

ScottyStitch

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30:47 pm »
Hi guys,

Looks like there will be a kick starter project coming around October/November time.

It is looking like we will get 4 different running numbers with each number getting 250 - 9 car sets. All of the sets will be powered for this run. The expected price would be £250 per set.

If you order multiples you would get different numbers as long as you don't order 5. Of course you can order more than 5 but one of them would be a repeated number!

After a set amount of time the tooling would pass on to DJM. The initial 4 numbers wouldn't be run again, giving us a true limited edition. With a possibility of a dummy one afterwards if Dave decides to do this. There would be a significant increase to the price at this point.

The model will not be produced until there has been a model released (in either 00 or N) from Dave, so that the quality of the product can be looked at.

The initial run could be increased if we were to get somewhere close to the golden figure! Everyone who backs this product for the £250 would be guaranteed to receive one of the initial batch.

It will be run by Ben Ando and Mike Hale who have done this type of project within the N Gauge Society with their wagon projects.

We need to get this spread as far and as wide as possible so that we can get the Pendolino's that we all want!

If there are any questions put them in this topic and I'm sure answers will be forthcoming as soon as they are known.

Alistair

I will be backing this. I have no need for one, and I won't run it on my layout but I'd like to support this to hopefully further the growth of N-Gauge.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:11 pm »
It's been said before but seriously, anyone swithering about this, I emplore you to go over to the other side and have a read of the thread that is on there regarding the pendolino. There is some good discussion going on, some input from DJM, who has discussed at length with the chaps intending to take the Kickstarter on.

There is much more information on that thread, please at least have a look. This is good for N, so if you want a Pendelino, or are in two minds, go and give it a read.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89072-n-gauge-pendolino-project/

Online Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18:39 pm »
As has been said before, why wasn't this aired on the only forum dedicated to N gauge instead of a commercially backed multi-forum, I'm sure the result would have been more representative.   :veryangry:   :censored:

Online Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41:17 pm »
Because the question was asked on RMWeb which is where Dave normally posts so the subsequent discussion took place there.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online alibuchan

• My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 10:55:23 pm »
Caz,

The reason why it was aired on RMWeb is that it was originally part of another topic and a new discussion was started on the advice of some of the other members so that it was all put in to one place.

(This bits a general statement)

People might get 'put out' that it appeared on there first but does it matter. We have to accept it (no matter how much some people don't want to) that RMWeb is the biggest railway modelling forum, and is the place where Dave Jones has decided to put his info out on there, as he did when he was at Dapol. (Long before it went commercial!)

It has been posted across a few different places to try and get the best coverage to give it it's best chance for success.

At the end of the day does it matter where it was started? NO, what matters is getting the model out there.

If there are some people who don't like the way RMWeb is run or the fact that that it is 'commercial' then so be it. You aren't being forced to go on there. Some of us who do go on there are trying to direct you to the exact page, so you don't even have to 'wade through' all of the other pages to read what the plan is.

As much as I like this forum, RMWeb is the better place to go to get the most up-to date news and information. It may be hard for some people to hear but it's true.

So can we stop all of this slagging off the other forums and just get on with modelling and having a go at bringing a model off the back-burner and put it straight on to the fire and get it out there. After all we are all fighting for the same things does it matter where we are fighting from?

Regards

Alistair

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 11:31:23 pm »
As has been said before, why wasn't this aired on the only forum dedicated to N gauge instead of a commercially backed multi-forum, I'm sure the result would have been more representative.   :veryangry:   :censored:

Caz

I've cross-posted the points that Ben and I had agreed at that point - things are progressing quickly with our thinking and Ali has posted a summary of the latest.

The original idea was a result of a discussion about other AC electrics and was spun out of that discussion so it was only natural for the discussion to evolve on RMweb.

There is no attempt to favour one site or the other and we'll continue to answer questions on here, RMweb and any other media!  Ben and I will be available at TINGS to discuss the project and answer questions.

We are currently working on nailing down the details of the project, working up a project plan and initial timelines for the project and we will publish details as soon as we have agreed them.

Cheers, Mike

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
Come on everyone, let's calm down and keep the spirit of the forum a good one. :stop:

Please vote here or on the relevant thread on RMweb if you feel that you wish to help the project.

Thread locked as no more input is needed right now.   :locked:

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2014, 01:49:56 pm »
Thread unlocked due to Mike wanting to comment about the project. :thumbsup:

No more negative RMweb comments from here thank you.

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:59 am »
Just reviewing progress on this project. Mike and Ben are heavily involved in the process now and both have a track record with producing NGS kits and models.

Let us look at the project in perspective. We are being asked to support the development of a 'much wanted' model.

Dapol announced one and lots of people were saying 'can't wait', and a huge outburst at the delays in getting it to market. They have now dropped the plan, I believe.

If the Pendolino was supplied through the normal retail channel, you would expect to have to pay about £350 for the nine car set. Remember, everyone needs to make profit.

We have the opportunity, to help fund a new project and get a full nine car set for just £250. Once the initial run is complete, no-one will get them at that price again.

If you have no interest in this train or the project, then that is fine.

However, if it is a 'must have' model, a collectable to sit on a shelf, a rule 1 purchase, or plain profit making speculation then please consider voting.

I have no involvement in the project, but am following the funding concept closely to see if it might apply for future N-Train releases. There have already been models released using Kickstarter.

If the funding concept works, we may get future projects for other models.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »

Hello all,

I did wonder why this thread got locked!  Ali and Bob have neatly summarised above where we are with a lot of this.

If you don't want to check out the thread on RM web then no probs  - Mike and I will do our best to answer all questions here too!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »
I have voted 'yes' to this on the RMWeb poll so have not voted here. Would love to see it sashaying through the curves on my layout :)

:thankyousign: all for the updates!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Online PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2014, 03:34:37 pm »
I have voted 'yes' to this on the RMWeb poll so have not voted here. Would love to see it sashaying through the curves on my layout :)

Just for you Pengi - here is some Pendo Sashaying through curves.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcGnZS02-fs

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2014, 04:53:50 pm »
Just for you Pengi - here is some Pendo Sashaying through curves.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcGnZS02-fs

Cheers  Jon  :)

Wow!  Sounded amazing!!!!  I definitely need one in NSE livery. :-*

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here