!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (36.7%)
No I wouldn't
76 (45%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 271468 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2565 on: May 26, 2018, 02:22:58 am »
Cool video, Jon! Your Pendolino runs magnificently.

And I agree with Ben.... the club layout looks great, too.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
« Reply #2566 on: May 26, 2018, 02:45:26 am »
It is an excellent layout. Not sure if it is going to the Epping show at Rosehill Racecourse for the long weekend, I think it is. Sadly I can’t make it that weekend - away for work for the week and therefore family has focus for the long weekend.

I can’t claim to have contributed to the construction of Royden but I do enjoy running on it - even if I have to run on ‘the wrong track’ to conform with my friends running US outline. There’s often a bit of gentle ribbing as I’m in a minority of one when it comes to British N Gauge at the club, but opinion was unanimous last night - a phenomenal model.
Still planning a layout...

Online Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #2567 on: May 26, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
The City of Birmingham arrived today (the postman even had to wander into the backyard for the signature, I was shoveling horse dung into flower beds) to take its place alongside Poppy and City of London, very happy, and you guys have my total thanks and respect for making it happen.

You guys had a great vision and seeing it though to such an exquisite model is something to be incredibly proud of.

Now just got to keep wifey happy and away from the train room and build that layout (baseboards are done, track next)
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2568 on: May 26, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »
The City of Birmingham arrived today (the postman even had to wander into the backyard for the signature, I was shoveling horse dung into flower beds) to take its place alongside Poppy and City of London

It seems you and I have the same three Pendos! Postie left a ‘tried to deliver card’ today. I have to wait till Tuesday for the post office to open to collect my CoB.

My postie has also come to the back yard before. FedEx on the otherhand have left a ‘you weren’t home’ without even ringing the doorbell!

I never shovel horse sh*t though. On that we differ!  :D

You guys had a great vision and seeing it though to such an exquisite model is something to be incredibly proud of.

Well said, sir!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2569 on: May 26, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »
FedEx on the otherhand have left a ‘you weren’t home’ without even ringing the doorbell!

I never shovel horse sh*t though.

@Mustermark
Your Fedex bloke obviously does, though, Mark :D

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2570 on: May 26, 2018, 11:40:55 pm »
My light bars came without screws. But today I got an envelope from Rapido with the screws in it. They would have got here sooner but they were sent to my old address, even though my Pendo’s were addressed  correctly.

Now I just need City of Brum from Revolution and I’m done.

Regards,

John P

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #2571 on: May 27, 2018, 09:55:40 pm »
They're getting closer!  :whistle:

It's at the border! Unfortunately i need to pay GST so customs are playing with them whilst I sort out that payment!

[EDIT} it seems my address change request did not work and rapido sent the parcels and screws to the original address. Thankfully this is my parents address and so I still got the stuff, but if you requested an address change and haven't received anything from those plucky canadians, check with your previous address[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:46:59 pm by mickster04 »

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2572 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:49 pm »
My City of Birmingham came today... yes, USPS delivered on a Sunday!
Very pleased with it. Might play trains tomorrow...

Many thanks once again for an awesome project and an exquisite model, or three.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Kiwi40

• N Gauge Society Number: 22420
    • Awards
« Reply #2573 on: May 28, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
Sorry no we can't confirm that we receive every email sent to us. If you have updated your delivery address on our website then that is where your order will be sent to.

We're getting quite a few of the same questions by email so we've put together some FAQs specific to the Pendolino: https://wp.me/p5BA2j-2DA

We've also got more general FAQs here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/faqs/

Cheers, Mike

N Gauge Voltage.
I have just received my DCC sound fitted Pendolino and have been exploring this thread. I am very concerned by the talk of the possibility of DCC chips being fatally damaged by too higher DCC voltage.

1. I have carefully re-read my Pendolino instruction manual and the only warning contained is in regard to running the Pendolino on DC using controllers designed for larger scales. No warning about DCC over voltage. There certainly were no stickers warning of the dangers of DCC over voltage.
2. What voltage are we talking about here? the AC from the transformer that feeds the control station or the DCC signal at at the track? As the DCC track is an alternating voltage running at 7-8Kz your normal digital multimeter won't give an accurate reading as it is calibrated to read the RMS voltage of the normal 50Hz mains.
3. Are you referring to Peak to Peak voltage which will certainly be much higher than the RMS voltage?

My concern arises because I use the track at my club which runs multiple scales and the N gauge layout is fed from the HO DCC buss. So, could this mean all the N gauge locos are in danger of being damaged because the HO DCC may be set to run at a higher voltage!

I would welcome some clarification on this matter.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #2574 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:18 pm »
I can pass on the following advice. 

Almost all proper DCC systems can have their output voltages adjusted, and consequently you can ask the systems what voltage they are set at.  Worth doing regularly just in case it gets changed.

On DC (with any DCC chip fitted) use an N quality electronic controller. Avoid old H&M Hornby etc controllers where the output is a rectified AC which can put out peaks of 16v and more.  Also avoid "fancy controllers with simulated throttles and braking like the Gaugemaster cab type, as they can confuse the DCC chip in DC.

Personally I use a home made controller based on a 4Amp 12volt computer switched mode power supply - so pure flat 12 volts - with an old H&M add on controller giving me a resistance and or potential divider speed control output.  So no ripple no pulses just a precise voltage output and I add a £2 voltmeter from China to keep an eye on the output voltage.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2575 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
I have just received my DCC sound fitted Pendolino and have been exploring this thread. I am very concerned by the talk of the possibility of DCC chips being fatally damaged by too higher DCC voltage.

1. I have carefully re-read my Pendolino instruction manual and the only warning contained is in regard to running the Pendolino on DC using controllers designed for larger scales. No warning about DCC over voltage. There certainly were no stickers warning of the dangers of DCC over voltage.

Hi there,

We don't think you're likely to have any problems with DCC controllers - the warning is aimed at older DC controllers which can put out voltage "spikes" which can fry a decoder.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Kiwi40

• N Gauge Society Number: 22420
    • Awards
« Reply #2576 on: May 29, 2018, 12:27:02 am »
Thanks for your reassuring replies.
Since this thread has now drawn my attention to the NMRA specs that state different voltage requirements for N, HO and larger scales and since the club N scale layout was tacked on to an existing HO scale layout long before I joined, I guess I'll have to dig deeper into just what the club setup is.

My major concern is that I started looking on this forum for answers because my lovely new DCC sound Pendolino and all the sound functions worked fine on my home test track (N Gauge Fleischmann Profi-Boss controller) but not on the club track, whilst it ran OK, not a peep could be squeezed from any sound function, from either end. And back on the home test track again now no sound!

Pretty scary eh?

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #2577 on: May 29, 2018, 08:09:02 am »
My major concern is that I started looking on this forum for answers because my lovely new DCC sound Pendolino and all the sound functions worked fine on my home test track (N Gauge Fleischmann Profi-Boss controller) but not on the club track, whilst it ran OK, not a peep could be squeezed from any sound function, from either end. And back on the home test track again now no sound!

Hi

I assume you’ve pressed F1 to turn the sound on.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2578 on: May 29, 2018, 09:03:26 am »

Hi Kiwi40,

If you are still experiencing problems after checking F1 and going through any other diagnostics in the manual then please email us at: support@revolutiontrains.com and our service agent will be in touch.

He knows a lot more about DCC than I do and will have ideas to fix your problem - since the models still runs, and the sounds worked at first, he may be able to fix it remotely. 

I know he is aiming to respond to all emails (even if only to say it has been received) within 48 hours.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline mokjumbo

• Awards
« Reply #2579 on: May 29, 2018, 10:02:45 am »
Sent a message 9 days ago and have heard nothing yet.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything