!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:53 pm »
Great re-use of a bread bin, I like it :) Sorry to hear about the point motor.

An alternative to bowden / wire-in-tube type actuators is a push-pull rod. My Heath Robinson prototype used a bamboo skewer and staple.  (skewers can usually be found in a room somewhere in the house, I think it is called a kitchen ? :) )

Also a cute idea!

I like the pokey stick idea (I assume that’s the correct technical term for it?). I’ve been sketching ideas and thinking of ways to make something like that work.

I came up with the idea of the bowden-system, because it allow to pull/push around corners without big problems. You could put the knob to operate the switch on the side instead the front...

Imagine a mechanical switchcontrol... well in Austria the most important parts are made and sold:

http://www.h0fine.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=79 (link points to the shop site in german)
They say, that some parts are missing for a real mechanical switchboard, but the inventor of the mechanism originally has built a mechanical board... The switchcontrol look like real "continental" devices...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 01:11:06 am »
  • It's too fast even at 9v. Speed control is not only needed for aesthetics but to slow it down before stopping on the spur.
Is that a battery for portability ? If you get an AA battery holder and rechargable NiHM cells like this :-

you can easily tap off the required voltage in 1.5v steps by inserting copper foil strips. A rotary switch can be used to select which tap is in use

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:48 am »
PS if you are nimble with a soldering iron you could solder directly to the studs, but the plastic is easily melted ! ( dont ask how I know  ;D )

and here is another I prepared earlier ( for a portable shunting yard that I could play with outside in the sunshine without trailing mains cables ! ) :-

The switch is a bit clunky as bought but is easily dismantled to fiddle with the spring tension. I have some more pics somewhere in the archives if you want more details of that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:32:53 am by Malcolm »

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 03:15:17 pm »
The postman came bearing more gifts today. My “accidental” eBay purchase which will ensure that the bread factory’s salt supply is kept up and some diffused led’s for the buildings.

:D
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:37 pm »
That "Saxa Salt" wagon is a cute little bugger....

these little wagons almost make me want to invest more in british rolling stock... They are perfect for micro layouts.
The continental roling stock on the other hand has the perfect shunting engine, the Köf II.

Seems that an international layout with the Köf (be it red or black) and the english wagons is the way to go xtra-small
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:36:06 pm by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 08:55:45 pm »
Not much progress in terms of construction but I’ve taken the opportunity to practice some things on the original layout.

Some rust paint on the rails;

A touch of red paint on the peco buffer stop;

And a level crossing using pollyfilla;

I’ve also taken delivery of some eBay cheapo street lighting which I’m actually quite pleased with. I didn’t get any pictures as I was just testing them but they look good to me.

I’ve been doing a lot of planning with regards to the electrics. After deciding that I definitely needed speed control it opened up a whole world of options. With space at such a premium I have ordered an Arduino Nano which will be the basis of the speed control (I hope). I may even controll the street lighting and building lights through it depending how adventurous I’m feeling. The only complication is the various voltages required for the different fittings. If I can get my head around the values then I may just keep everything at 12v and solder resistors in-line with each individual part. With it being such a small layout there won’t be many so it could be the easiest/safest way. I’d be interested to hear from others that have done similar with regards to working out what resistor size is required.

The point will be manual..... some kind of wire in tube but not sure what exactly yet. That’s something I’ll play with on the original layout before committing to drilling holes on the final version.

Thanks for reading
Paul

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 12:18:52 am »
Hi Paul,

I know nothing about wiring up electronic bits, but when you mentioned arduinos something rang a bell.  This may be of help. .....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133047-the-bunny-mine-cakebox/page-3

This guy is building a roundy layout in N gauge, with a passing loop, and a siding. The points are operated by servo motors, there is speed control, and it all runs off a 9v PP3 battery.

The amazing thing...... the layout is eight inches square. :o

I thought space was tight for us, but this  :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Hope this helps  :thumbsup:

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

PS.... The same guy built this, also 8" x 8", which I love  :D

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:53 am »
And a level crossing using pollyfilla;

This photograph has been bugging me but I couldn't put my finger on why. I think it's the wedge shape. It seems simple now but I followed the line of the sleepers so because it's on the curve it's created a wedge shape. I seems really simple but it's funny how you sometimes notice these things afterwards but not at the time.  :doh:

PS.... The same guy built this, also 8" x 8", which I love  :D

That's ridiculous..... I love it!  :laughabovepost:

I've been thinking more and more about batteries; there's almost too much choice! Good that I now have a test track to play with.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2018, 05:31:34 am »
The postman came bearing more gifts today. My “accidental” eBay purchase which will ensure that the bread factory’s salt supply is kept up and some diffused led’s for the buildings.

:D

Not TOO much salt I hope! The stuff is, as they say, Satan's Dandruff and is bad for your blood pressure. If you wanted to be ultra up-to-date and correct you need to find a suitable Folate wagon. Apparently the gov't feels we don't eat enough of the stuff so add it to bread. All very clever!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2018, 06:10:24 am »
I love those Peco Saxa wagons, even though they're a bit generic.

I have several on my layout.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2018, 02:58:28 pm »
Great use of a redundant bread bin!  love it

I too have a sizeable quantity of Saxa salt wagons (almost as many as I do rectangular tar tankers!)

Great progress .... and all the while juggling a new baby!  Hats off to you

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 11:20:30 pm »
After a few weeks "off" I got back in the garage this week to make the new baseboard and give it a prime and a paint. Tonight I managed a few hours which was enough to get the track laid and tested.

After much cursing mild temper tantrums I came to the conclusion that glue alone was not going to work so in the end I have opted from screws. I think once the ballast is down it will look fine. Similar to when I laid the first track i had issues keeping the point rails still when forcing the tight bends into position but this time I was keeping a close eye on it and noticed when it was going. I had to solder the joiners on the outside of the curve to stop the joins pulling apart and use a temporary "back-stop" on the inner rails to stop them pushing through;

With some perseverance I got everything laid including the siding to the factory yard area. Although it was getting late I couldn't resist soldering some droppers and testing it out;

There was an accidental uncoupling at the end due to an abrupt stop but I left it in. This was running at 9v which is too quick really but I was happy just to get it running and see it working. The stop/starts don't look smooth but that's down to my sausage fingers trying to jab cable ends into connector block!

I'm looking forward now to getting started properly on the scenics!

Thanks for looking
Paul

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 11:41:01 pm »
 :claphappy: Congratulations  :claphappy:
 :heart2: :heart2: :heart2:

Seems some 5 to 7 Volts would be more than enough....
=================
have a disney day

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 09:43:23 am »
Good to see you up and running again.  :claphappy:  :admiration:

:greatwork:

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 09:33:06 pm »
Not a lot to report but this week I’ve glued in the sleepers to fill the gaps and I’ve been playing with some printed surfaces which I posted the the scenery forum asking for opinions. It would be good to get some feedback from anybody following this thread that doesn’t often frequent such sub-boards.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43571.msg539921#msg539921

I’m enjoy the “tinkering” stage. I’m hoping to be in a position to start the ballasting but I need to get the crossing and road surface decided first.

Thanks
Paul

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations