"King John" locomotive chassis, swappable?

Started by petercharlesfagg, January 11, 2014, 06:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Some of you may remember that I was experiencing difficulties repairing a used "King John" locomotive that I foolishly purchased on Ebay.

Well the truth is that I had real difficulties getting the crank rods aligned with the piston blocks, dropped the chassis and snapped the cross beam holding the piston blocks.  It would not glue!  I tried both plastic glue and super glue.

To end my tale I just discarded those pieces and dismantled the rest for spares.  (Knowing me I will probably never use them apart from a load on a truck maybe)

Anyway, will ANY 4-6-0 GF chassis fit the body of the "King John"?

OR would someone like to have a body and tender?

Peter.

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 11, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
Well the truth is that I had real difficulties getting the crank rods aligned with the piston blocks, dropped the chassis and snapped the cross beam holding the piston blocks.  It would not glue!  I tried both plastic glue and super glue.

It is very hard to glue. You can sometimes 'weld' it back together with a soldering iron (naughty but...) or by puttng a thin bit of metal over the top and screwing both halves into it.

Most of the piston blocks are available as spares.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dr Al

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 11, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
Anyway, will ANY 4-6-0 GF chassis fit the body of the "King John"?

OR would someone like to have a body and tender?

Peter.

Peter, if you are scrapping the loco and have any spares do let me know - I have a King missing some parts...

Thanks,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations