!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deansmoor: Post-privatisation layout with catenary, on a door  (Read 67666 times)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Deansmoor: Post-privatisation layout with catenary, on a door
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »
Nicely done Jon, very realistic scenery and I love the little touches like the trunking.   :beers:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2014, 10:01:16 pm »
Excellent work - congrats to both of you :thumbsup:
Looking at the relay boxes they do seem to have a slight list to port but it could well be my wonky eyesight ::)

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:22 pm »
Thanks Jon
I assume it was just spray with a faded greyish colour
Off to the hobby shop to get some of that strip I'm really impressed so thanks for sharing
Bart

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:17 am »
Superb Jon, I love the cable pulled out, a really nice touch.  :thumbsup:

all its missing is a scrote with white van and cable cutters nearby  or a  cadre of BTP officers looking in the hole?

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:05 pm »
This is an excellent layout - love the details :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2014, 02:52:35 pm »
Superb Jon, I love the cable pulled out, a really nice touch.  :thumbsup:

all its missing is a scrote with white van and cable cutters nearby  or a  cadre of BTP officers looking in the hole?

Nowhere to park the van, but yes, I reckon a policeman and a Network Rail guy looking at it and shaking their heads!

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »
Thanks Jon
I assume it was just spray with a faded greyish colour
Off to the hobby shop to get some of that strip I'm really impressed so thanks for sharing
Bart

Yes - sprayed grey with car primer, then a coat of "concrete" enamel.  I then sanded the concrete with very fine wet-and-dry, which let some of the grey through, then picked out some of the sections in a further coat of concrete to represent newer bits.  Easier to do than describe.

Good luck with it - let's see photos of the result!

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »
Neal came round again this afternoon, with Callum, and in-between electric guitar jamming (AC/DC) we made some good progress.  We got the 4 aspect signal working (fingers crossed), Neal glued in his cable conduit under the bridge and strightened the wonky electrical box and we got the lower level working.  Here's a video - using bits of stock that were to hand, a hand-held camera and a rough edit!  :worried:

Deansmoor 8 March 2014 v2

Here is a shot of the conduit, a beautiful bit of brasswork:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

We also discovered a brush mark on the rock cutting.  I have subsequently realised what (and who) did it.  Less impetuous working practices would be highly beneficial!

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2014, 08:37:04 pm »
Looks amazing in that light chaps, great job!! You should be very proud.

Loving the double headed 37s too, always brings a certain something to a layout.

Cheers, PT

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:14 pm »
Your jamming was pretty good, too. What did the bass player, keyboard player and drummer contribute to the layout though :confused2:

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
Hi Jon,

this looks like a fun layout to operate. The lineside detail is amazing. Well done.

Michael

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »
Hi Jon, a favor if I may. When Deansmoor is up could you take a photo of the fiddle yard please? I'm intrigued as to how the upper fiddle yard is suspended over the lower one.

After all my planning for a large layout (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20661.msg211175#msg211175)and not just the track plan, and then hitting an unforeseen unmovable problem, I'm starting to see things your way and I'm pondering door size layouts that are easy to move.

Deansmoor is giving me ideas, were I can have track for long trains such as 2+7 HSTs to run but with perhaps an upper section for small local traffic such as DMU's or 37's collecting clay traffic for marshaling elsewhere.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2014, 10:48:50 pm »
Hi Jack,

How about these:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

By coincidence I today fitted Deansmoor to the display framework I have used for Lofthole, so your request couldn't have come at a more convenient time.

Door sized layouts are fairly easy to move, but really need two people so aren't as easy as, say, 4'x2' sections, but the big advantage for me are that you can make them in one piece so don't need 'orrible baseboard joints.  I have just moved Lofthole down from the loft and two flights of stairs and back up again after exhibitions with Neal (Cooper)'s help and it went pretty smoothly!  And you can run a "full" length train such as your HST fairly credibly.

Cheers

Jon  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:53:38 pm by PostModN66, Reason: typo »

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »
Faster than Superman!!  Thanks Jon!

I'll certainly have an even deeper ponder over the next couple of days and nights to see if my timber engineering skills (or lack off) can come up with the way forward on this one.

Many thanks again Jon  :beers:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »
I am using a week's holiday to get Deansmoor ready for TadRail on 11th October.

A step forward today - the start of the recommissioning of the OHLE - which as I mentioned before is a tensioned system.  The first stage - setting up the first contact wire and checking whether the laws of physics still apply.......

Deansmoor first OHLE test

Seems to run OK in both directions and at a variety of speeds - but you will see that the long stretch moves up a fair bit under the force of the pan.  I don't fancy adding more tension to the wire, and anyway Euclid would warn me that returns are diminishing so I may have to consider either a) weakening the spring in the pan or b) "blocking" it so that it only moves up to a maximum height.

Next step is to add the catenary and auxiliary wire using EasyLine and black thread.

Cheers  Jon   :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:10:01 pm by Sprintex, Reason: Youtube link fixed so video shows in post »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything