shares in this website

Started by matt-b, June 14, 2011, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt-b

i`ve watched this site grow alot over the last 7/8months, am very impressed with it as i`m sure other people are too.
you dont have to say, but.....
does it make any money?
what sort of costs is there is running a site like this?
would it be a idea to sell shares in the site, course you couldnt do it to anyone and everyone who comes along, that would have to be sorted..

just a idea. sorry if it causes trouble  :)

:NGaugeForum:

Tank

Nosey aren't ya! ;D

I've had a few members give contributions to me, which has been great, and a handful of mug/shirt sales.  I haven't made any money yet, or broken even.  I think it's just an extension of the hobby, so I'm not that fussed.  Hopefully if I can get some more advertisers on board then I can make some profit for some time, and maybe afford a gift for the Mods at Christmas.

porkie

I must admit,

I spend more time on here than on the other sites 8)

And was well shocked to see an ad in this edition of the N gauge socitey journal :thumbsup:

Well done tank and the gang :beers:
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

OwL

WE ALL STAND TOGETHER :NGaugeForum:

So much so that I would like to donate £ 5 to the up-keep/running of the site.

Please Tank/Mods send me a PM of how to donate (via-pay-pal).

My only reason is that Tank and crew (Lawrence, OldRailbug and JonClox + plus others) do such a sterling job behind the scenes 24/7

May  :NGaugeForum: continue.............

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

grid078

Hi gang

I`m new to the site. Who ever decided to put the add in the N-Gauge Society deserves a medal, i never knew you existed despite being on both the n-gauge and n-gauge modern groups on yahoo.

Theres some fantastic stuff on here and its easy to find too, wish i had found you before.

Stuart

Jonathan Clapp

welcome aboard Stuart, your testimony about the ad is evident: the day after the ad ran 'users on line' at any given moment jumped from an average of 10 to around 30.

Ill second the request for a "DONATE" here Paypal button.

Tank

Thanks for your kind words Stuart.  I spent a lot of money on the advert, but I feel it's beneficial for N Gaugers to have somewhere of their own online, and beneficial to the forum.  Maybe I'll earn a living from it one day?!  :D

Owl -  I'm more than happy to accept donations.  I feel it too cheeky to put a donation button on here, but feel free to PM me for the email address.  Thanks!

JC - Thanks very much as well.  Again, I don't know if people would think of it as a cheek to have a paypal button. :-\

Lawrence

Put the donate button on mate, no reason you should keep forking out from your own pocket.

Jonathan Clapp

voluntary-pay-to-use is perfectly acceptable. see it everywhere nowadays. not cheek at all.
I could list half a dozen sites Ive given a 5 to over the last year,  just because.

Tank

OK, thanks everyone.  I've made a Paypal link in the Notices section.  I'll try to work out a better way to incorporate it into the forum.

Cheers!

longbridge

Great suggestion and enough to make me open a Paypal Account. :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

OwL

£5 coming your way via pay-pal, let me know when it lands your end :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work :)

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

lesmond

I've absolutely no problem with a PayPal donation button (I've used it, and will again). It is unfair that Tank bears the financial brunt of running it, as hosting, bandwidth etc. is not cheap.

This is one of the friendliest forums I've ever been a member of, the level of help and almost total lack of slabbering (a wonderful term for mouthing off, well used here in Belfast - "quit yer slabberin' wee lad") is a joy.

Many thanks to Tank and all of the mods, who have been very gracious when I've sailed a bit too close to the wind (you know who you are!)

Long live the  :NGF:
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

poliss

It can be cheap. I don't pay a penny for my forum.

lesmond

Fair enough. My site hosting & associated costs are under £20 pa, but it's still an expense.
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations