CA glue and the freezer

Started by dannyboy, November 16, 2018, 06:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I do not know if this has been mentioned before - I did a quick search of the forum but found nothing. (If it has been mentioned - sorry!). Apparently CA, (Cyanoacrylate) glue has a shelf life of about 12 months. However, it can last almost indefinitely if kept in the freezer.  The information came courtesy of 'Model Railroad Hobbyist' email -
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30548?page=1
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

:thumbsup: I keep mine in the drinks fridge and it lasts an age. Also introduces a daring risk to drinking too much. :-X

ScottishModeller

Hi David,

Yes - not new news to me....

I've kept CA in the fridge (not freezer) for what seems like an eternity.

Do keep it in a sealed container though - don't want someone to go into the fridge and squash it when they put other stuff in.

I learned that the hard way!

Cheap 'poundstore' CA is what I use and it lasts over a year in the fridge.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

TrevL

Yes , me too, ever since my aeromodelling days in the '80s, I've always kept CA in the 'fridge.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bob Tidbury

I've allways been told to keep it in the fridge ,but Roger from SQUIRES told me at the Ipswich show that you don't really need too as long as it's not in A very hot room he said just keep it well sealed in the drawer of your workbench.
The last bottle of POWERBOND went really thick in our fridge and I had to throw it away,it wasn't even a year old .I even put a bit of cling film over the top as The guy on the stand at Stevenage told me.
Bob Tidbury

Delboy

I have CA glue in small plastic bottles and never had them in the fridge or freezer. They are about 2 years old and still OK so not sure of the need to be honest.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

The Q

Funnily enough my model railway shed has three fridges in it, two for glue thinners and evaporation paints. SWMBO wasn't impressed when she first opened the biggest of the three to find it entirely full of cider...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations