Back Issues of the NGS Journal

Started by Mirrlees, April 03, 2016, 03:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirrlees

Hi All,

Back issues of the Journal are available free.  However there is a cost to cover postage.

After the NGS AGM  the remain stock of back issues will be going to recycling.

Please see the NGS Website for more details.

Regards Tim Hitch
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

longbow

Tim - no doubt this has been raised before, but why are NGS journals not available to members in a downloadable form? As an overseas member I imagine most of my annual fee goes in paper and postage costs.

free debt man

This is an awkward one & has been discussed several times by the NGS Management Committee. In short the paper version is an incentive to modellers to join the Society (and also because our Editor does such an excellent job) whereas with an electronic / downloadable version it is open to everyone to look at - the same problem as faced by newspapers & magazines.  Until it can be secured so that only subscribers can see it, & not be able to further download to anyone they wish, the problem remains. :thankyousign:
Stuart Conlon
General Secretary
N Gauge Society

ianwales

Hi Stuart & Tim

Can you just tell me approx how much longer I have to get back issues as I'm a fairly new member and have been sending for back issues when I can to build up my library, but, I'm limited in the amount I can send for at any one time.

Ian

mickster04

Quote from: free debt man on April 26, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
...whereas with an electronic / downloadable version it is open to everyone to look at - the same problem as faced by newspapers & magazines....

railway modeller have an app they use to enable subscribe only views of their magazine.
I don't know it's cost model, but it works well as a user.
https://reader.exacteditions.com/magazines/21465/issues

keithfre

Volumes of more recent back issues are apparently available on CD-ROM, though I couldn't see any way of ordering them on the website as yet.

keithfre

Quote from: Only Me on April 26, 2017, 11:06:43 AM
http://newweb.ngaugesociety.com/?page_id=71
http://www.ngsjoin.com/journal-cds--indexes-936-p.asp
That's great. I see they go back to 1989!

Any chance of linking the second link to the first, so folks can get there by clicking on 'Annual Journal compilation CD'?

ianwales

Hi all

Well now I'm confused, i had emailed Keith who looks after the back issues about a few issues I wanted and mentioned what Tim had said at the beginning of this thread and he doesn't know what I was talking about, as far as he is aware the back issues will continue to be available from him even after the AGM.

Ian

Papyrus

Quote from: mickster04 on April 26, 2017, 10:43:58 AM
Quote from: free debt man on April 26, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
...whereas with an electronic / downloadable version it is open to everyone to look at - the same problem as faced by newspapers & magazines....

railway modeller have an app they use to enable subscribe only views of their magazine.
I don't know it's cost model, but it works well as a user.
https://reader.exacteditions.com/magazines/21465/issues

The last I was aware, you are only able to view your downloads while you are a subscriber. Once you stop your subscription you lose the lot, which I why I would still rather buy a paper mag. I would be interested to know if this is still the case.

Quote from: ianwales on April 26, 2017, 05:13:10 PM
Hi all

Well now I'm confused, i had emailed Keith who looks after the back issues about a few issues I wanted and mentioned what Tim had said at the beginning of this thread and he doesn't know what I was talking about, as far as he is aware the back issues will continue to be available from him even after the AGM.

Ian

Would the fact that the original post is over a year old have anything to do with it?

Cheers,

Chris

longbow

Exact Editions allows you to print and save soft copies of magazine pages and AFAIK you retain online access indefinitely to issues that you have purchased. So no, you do not lose everything if you stop subscribing.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: longbow on April 26, 2017, 08:31:08 PM
Exact Editions allows you to print and save soft copies of magazine pages and AFAIK you retain online access indefinitely to issues that you have purchased. So no, you do not lose everything if you stop subscribing.

I can confirm that in respect of Continental Modeller (which uses the same set up) you lose online access to all issues if you stop subscribing. That includes the issues during your subscription period. My protests to Peco when this happened to me was met with the response that they felt the subscriber benefit of access to all back issues whilst you subscribe outweighed the minor inconvenience of losing the issues you had paid for if you stopped subscribing! Not very 21st century thinking!
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

longbow

Thanks for confirming that. Pocketmags (Hornby Mag, BRM) and Zinio (Model Rail) do give indefinite access to mags you buy but don't allow free access to back issues. 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations