Minitrix Class 47

Started by dannyboy, June 28, 2017, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

I have got my eye on one of the above engines. Having read the posts about Minitrix 47's, it seems to get a good review mechanically wise - do people still have the same view, as the last post was over 12 months ago?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Typical Minitrix design of the 1980s - pretty much bullet-proof.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Yes as a 30 year old model you're unlikely to find opinions changing in the last year! Like all their stuff it's a bit crude, but mechanically solid.

I personally don't think they look much like a 47, the nose sticks out too far (or the windscreen is too recessed). I wouldn't buy one unless it was very cheap.

Bealman

Yeah, the Minitrix mechanisms of the era were always good. Probably worth pursuing if the price is right.

I have a Minitrix Mallard and Evening Star from the period, the motors still operate beautifully, but both have traction tyre problems.

Bear in mind that their chassis' are from German prototypes, sitting under a British body. I don't know if this is the case with the Class 47,  but I suspect it is.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on June 29, 2017, 07:26:51 AM
Yeah, the Minitrix mechanisms of the era were always good. Probably worth pursuing if the price is right.

I have a Minitrix Mallard and Evening Star from the period, the motors still operate beautifully, but both have traction tyre problems.

Bear in mind that their chassis' are from German prototypes, sitting under a British body. I don't know if this is the case with the Class 47,  but I suspect it is.

The 47 has a proper 47 chassis, though of its era, looks a bit better than the Poole 47 one. I think the earlier Minitrix Warship chassis was derived from the German V200 one, though sort of excusable as the prototypes are fairly closely related.

One issue I've noticed with the Minitrix 47 (and a different German model of similar structural design) is that the battery box/fuel tank underchassis part comes away quite easily, it's held on by little plastic tabs which are quite breakable.

EtchedPixels

I have a rather battered one I keep for track cleaning trains. It'll haul anything and the heavy weight and proper pickups means it'll run well on dirty track while hauling the cleaners. The current Bachmann one just wheelspins with the cleaning train 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations