The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Started by Papyrus, January 06, 2018, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

I'm enjoying it and finding it quite interesting. Maybe that's because I have a garden railway.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Tank

I'm enjoying it still.  Sure I wouldn't do it like they have, but they have a time limit, lack of materials I presume.....they do have great power tools!  From my own experience of building track in the garden it's much harder than it looks, and they haven't had a test run on any of it, they're just going for it.  I'm surprised that they don't use sand or something else to level the ground in places, rather than allowing the loco to keep falling off!  :D

pesky badger

I'm also one of the few that seems to enjoy it. It does now appear to be more about the personalities involved than about the model side, but it's still quite fun.  The viaduct looked quite impressive for a bendy plywood structure, and I'm sure someone mentioned about ballasting the base (sandbags?) to keep it in place. I can't believe no-one tried to fire up the boiler (after its swimming lesson) until the following day when it was due to leave (queue failure and need for a strip before it would start).  Just a shame there was no footage of the quad bike reversing into the water  >:D (glad the driver was ok - it was a long way down the bank to the water).
As to next week's episode - from the spoiler for next week i think they are going to have an issue with the little lady crossing the truss bridge (derail halfway across maybe?).  Maybe the elf 'n safety guy will make his team wear ear defenders due to the noise from a passing sparrow, or stop them from working every ten minutes in case they fainted from lack of tea. Maybe it all goes perfectly (yeah right, like that's going to happen!)  :D

Stu

edwin_m

The quad bike incident does illustrate that despite this just being a bit of fun really, there is a point to health and safety.  If things had been slightly different the person riding it could have hit his head on a rock and been in the water unconscious. 

emjaybee

It's okay, and has a bit of entertainment value, but I kinda feel it was rather over sold.

"We've got engineer's, designer's, surveyor's, experienced model railway people", and all they seem to do is, "No, don't do it like that, do it like this", the volunteers seem quite keen to do it properly, roll-on-roll-off ferry, and they're told "just lift it out". It'd be a great project, but they're under ridiculous time/materials pressure and can't do it justice.

If the loco stayed on the "track" for more than 100yds I'd probably be a bit more impressed. It would have been a better program if they'd gone for a more acheivable distance and spent more time keeping the loco upright.

I'm not sure it's doing much to improve the image of railway modellers.

:(
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

pesky badger

It's a bit like most reality TV, in the sense that anything trivial gets edited to be highly dramatic, and the cynic in me guesses that the production team got the most caricature like personalities to make it more 'interesting'.

I must admit to be a complete ignoramus with regards to loco types, but is Silver Lady narrow gauge? Just wondering, because if she is then surely using a wider gauge would have helped with staying on the track.

Stu

Plainline.

Silver Lady is a narrow gauge loco. It is dual gauge 32 or 45 mm. If they had of made the "track" 45 mm the loco would have been more stable. Don't know why they don't put strips of ply under the track at regular intervals to stop it twisting and the loco coming off every few minutes. Personally I am unimpressed with the programme, the amount of avoidable mistakes is mind boggling! Unless of course it's done for entertainment, it does not do our hobbies image any good at all.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: pesky badger on January 15, 2018, 01:24:37 PM
but is Silver Lady narrow gauge?
http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/silverlady.htm
and
http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/ladyanne.htm

32mm gauge representing approx 2ft NG and/or 45mm representing 3ft

edit :32mm known as SM32, and 45mm is G scale

GroupC

I'm enjoying it. It's not perfect but if it was perfect for every one of us there would have to be a version made specially for every one of us.

Good to see something on telly which isn't all bright lights, primary colours, inane clapping along to bad cover versions and celebrities being venerated for doing nothing special.

Newportnobby

Sorry but I find it a bit yawn-making :dighole:
Especially as one of the team leaders gave a big spoiler on BBC Breakfast end of last week.
I wonder how Dick Strawbridge finds his mouth come feeding time amongst all that moustache curtain? :hmmm:

voltan

I've only watched the first episode, but I'm still trying to figure out the reason for the curves being two separate pieces when they're making fixed radius curves. Did they say why?

MalcolmInN

Quote from: newportnobby on January 15, 2018, 08:21:15 PMhow Dick Strawbridge finds his mouth come feeding time amongst all that moustache curtain?
I think he must be a filter feeder, and wears his baleen externally ?

MalcolmInN

Other visions he conjures  up in my fevered brain are :

The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry (various)

or The Last Of The Great Whales (Dubliners)

tutenkhamunsleeping

A brave attempt to reimagine "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" but the original was a classic - and only needed one Frank Spencer ::)

GroupC

Apparently Dick Strawbridge's next TV venture is all about rebuilding things to do with castles and stuff from days of yore, to be called "Dick Strawbridge's Stick Drawbridge".

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations