!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hailstone's Workbench  (Read 9695 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Hailstone's Workbench
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 10:27:39 pm »
Not a great amount of progress made on the County at the moment, due to a slight mistake in the measurement department. I had finally managed to make the 8f boiler and Castle cab/running plate to fit together reasonably well, so I decided to try them on the Jubilee chassis - disaster! the body shell was too short by 2-3mm what had I done wrong? the answer came after I shrank the drawing from the Russell book of Great Western engines. the boiler/ smokebox was the right length and profile, but the firebox is 2-3 mm too short and the front splashers are too far forward, so more filing and grinding will be necessary to get the correct look and to think on how best to construct new splashers, but at least the cab is the correct size.
the front of the footplate was also a little too long so I cut the front buffer beam off and am filing it back until it matches the drawing. even though all this will take some time, I am reasonably confident now that it will turn out reasonably well, look better than the only available kit and is unlikely to suffer the fate that my upgraded Farish Halls and my 28xx suffered, that is, as soon as I completed them Dapol announced a ready to run one!
the moral to this tale is: get the drawing out first!!

Ah well back to the filing!

Alex

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
Go Alex, it would probably have looked fine after a few pints.   :D :D

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 04:25:29 pm »
Go Alex, it would probably have looked fine after a few pints.   :D :D

Jerry

All things considered, maybe assess progress after a few pints of Ruddles COUNTY would be the best bet.

Joking aside, I love to see people creating something from this and that...modelling in my opinion.

Offline javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 06:52:47 pm »
Ruddles hasn't been the same since it moved from Rutland

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2018, 12:18:10 am »
Having been stung into action by Jerry Howlett's accusations of heading for the dark side (Triang TT) , I got out the round-to-it box and after 4 years 1370 finally emerges from the works on its way to the paint shop.

And long awaited replacement lower quadrant signals to control the up line into Trewoon reach primer stage.

Time to start another kit I think!

Regards,

Alex

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 02:44:16 am »
And the next kit is.. an ex GW 53xx, 5322 to be exact. I have had the kit for some time, but had stalled a bit after building the Trojans and 6619, but having finished construction of 1370 I decided to start another while I was still enthusiastic about building!
this is my first attempt at soldering white metal and having got several pieces stuck together, I decided that the firebox was sitting at too much an angle, so I put it aside while I finished the junction signal as a means of light relief

having got that out of the way, I bit the bullet, and took the 53xx to bits again, and cleaned up and re-soldered the body assembly back together, and it looked a bit better

I was then away for a couple of days, and when I returned today, I started to fit the chassis to the body, the modification to the Prarie chassis is quite easy, I took it completeley apart before sawing off 2mm from the back and cutting a new slot to engage in the body. I then reassembled the chassis and tweaked it until I was satisfied with the way it ran. the next job was to try the body on and note where it was tight on the chassis, then remove the body and carefully carve away metal from the inside of the body to enable the chassis to fit.
once this was done, I tried running the loco, but nothing happened! a swift post mortem discovered that additional clearance was required so that the driving wheels did not short out on the body, once this had been done, a trial run up and down the fiddle yard proved to be a success.

the next step will be to fit the rest of the body parts and drill for the handrails.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 10:29:03 am »
That's quite a gap over the centre splasher, Alex :hmmm:

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »
That's quite a gap over the centre splasher, Alex :hmmm:

Yes Mick, it is a feature of the P & D Marsh G W loco body kits as they all have to accomodate the Graham farish chassis. I did not take away very much from the boiler casting at all, but it wil look different once I have blackened the worm and painted the loco. at present the unpainted body is a bit stark against the black chassis. if you look at at the picture below of the 28xx that I built, you will see that there is ann even bigger bit of boiler missing and you can even see the armature and the pole piece of the motor showing, but again that is how the kit was designed.

hopefully, once I have finished and painted 5322 she will look as good as that.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:20:28 pm by Hailstone »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »
And finally.... both of the Trojans on test at Tremierten, they will handle a complete B set or at least 4 wagons - not bad considering their size

:bump:
Congrats to Alex for his Trojans being featured in the NGS Journal 4/18 :claphappy:

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 04:56:14 pm »
I have seen the actual model that Alex built and painted and it really doesnít look like a 3D printed body itís brilliant ,the photo canít do them full justice and they put my effort to shame .
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:58:52 pm by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2018, 08:42:40 am »
I have entered my Trojan in the annual model making competition on Saturday so that anyone going there will be able to see it, along with the 56xx shown earlier in this thread.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2018, 09:06:42 am »
You should have entered your Pug as well Alex .again if you see it you would never believe it was 3D printed .
Both of the models are absolutely fantastic ,mine are no where near the quality
but Iím proud of mine no matter how poor they are in comparison ,they are my own work.
I never have and never will achieve the standard that Alex achieves.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2018, 08:55:08 pm »
Back from the N Gauge Society AGM with 2 Bronze certificates, 1 for 6619 and 1 for Trojan. I started to prime 1370 but need to apply a few more things like lamp irons and the fire iron holders, so I set it aside for a moment, and rather than go back to 5322, I had a mad moment and started work on a body and chassis for No5 John Hampden, a metropolitan electric loco.
A real rule 1 choice this, but I have always wanted one since I saw another NGS members one at a previous Annual model making competition.

The body has been trimmed and the chassis modified, it now needs handrails to be made and buffers fitted and for me to work out how to provide enough bogie clearance so that it can go round 12" radius curves.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2018, 06:59:40 pm »
Well done Alex and I love the mini anvil.   :thumbsup:

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2018, 12:00:35 am »
It comes in very handy along with an equally mini hammer to flatten lead and brass strip

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here