!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench  (Read 28572 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: On my Pre Grouping (Southern) workbench
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
Just received my E2 print, Shapeways skimping on packaging again ;)

That E2 does look rather nice - or rather the enlarge pictures on Sparkshot's Shapeways shop does! I can't wait to see what you do with it (LBSCR livery I take it). What chassis are you planning to put under it?

I agree with you regarding the packaging. I just wish that Shapeways would use a larger box to better protect the models!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »
 :laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing: :o

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
That E2 does look rather nice - or rather the enlarge pictures on Sparkshot's Shapeways shop does! I can't wait to see what you do with it (LBSCR livery I take it). What chassis are you planning to put under it?

It'll be in LBSC lined black, although a bit modern for my other Brighton stock! Chassis will probably be an older Farish GP chassis. They did a cheap run of them that went into starter sets (I think) with plastic bodies with buffers part of the chassis. I picked up a handful for a fiver each a few years ago at the NGS AGM. Correct wheel base and wheel size which are blackened with smaller flanges but motor too bulky so it will be getting replaced.

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:04 pm »
I had a look at this last week, when I was perusing the W class tank.
As i have both Langley kits for the E2 and the extended tank E2, i wonder how these shape up, given they are designed for the same GP/94xx chassis?
No pun intended.
I think i prefer the adaptability of the whitemetal rather than the grain of the 3D print, but then I am and older modeller, and the E2 was introduced way back when.
I too have the starter set chassis, but i dont have the aversion to the motor that you have.
Bob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:17:04 pm by Bob G, Reason: Added text »

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:52 am »
Hi Bob,
I, too, have both those white metal kits but there really is no comparison. They have been around for years and IMHO look their age but there is still a lot to be said for the ruggedness of white metal. They both are compromised to fit the chassis which is why I am looking at cobbling together my own. Regarding the grain of the 3D print I opted for FXD. It costs a little more but has only required the absolute minimum of sanding, far less than the filing of misshapen bits of metal! I have no aversion to the existing motor either, indeed, it runs extremely well and seems a pity to destroy it but its height means the body has to sit to high. IIRC you had to trim a fair bit off the pole pieces anyway to fit the Langley body but it was still too high.

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2018, 11:15:56 am »
The E2 is finished. It didn't take much work as the FXD I had it ordered in really is worth the extra 3. I did make a few tweaks, I felt the pump was a little oversized so replaced it. With FXD the buffers, although excellent, were just waiting to be knocked off so I replaced them, cracking a chunk of the buffer beam as I did it! The front vents on the tanks also looked a little long so they were shortened. Lettering is the hardest as there are no longer any suitable transfers so I had to use the closest font available and still had to modify the B and S.
For those interested in the chassis the standard Farish one wouldn't let the body sit low enough so I chopped a load off and added a Nigel Lawson motor and brake shoes etc.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »
Which Nigel Lawson motor are you using and how good a performance do you get - relative to a Farish original.

If it gives enough power this might save a lot of work and space fitting DCC to old Farish models.

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »
It's his 8mm x 16mm Midi Motor. I've used it numerous times as have a lot of fellow 2mm modellers with no issues. It is rated at 10v and comes with a resistor but after the first couple of locos I've not bothered with no obvious detrimental effect.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2018, 12:43:07 pm »
It's his 8mm x 16mm Midi Motor. I've used it numerous times as have a lot of fellow 2mm modellers with no issues. It is rated at 10v and comes with a resistor but after the first couple of locos I've not bothered with no obvious detrimental effect.

Thanks, i'm not worried by voltage as the output of a DCC chip will take care of that.  Do you think the strength of the motor is equivalent or better than the Farish offering as i'm thinking about using it in 4-6-2 locos and similar?

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2018, 01:08:03 pm »
I've only used them on small locos but if you follow the link below and scroll down to post 24 Jerry explains his use of them and that the 7mm version is identical to the one Farish currently use: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111614-chinese-motor-test/page-1
Elsewhere in the 2mm section of RMWeb there are photos of larger locos using the motor but not sure where they're buried.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:13 pm »
Thanks

I know Nigel and his motors are very good for OO9 models which is his thing.  I think I will get a set and experiment.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2018, 02:36:48 pm »
Outstanding work Gareth, that's a lovely looking E2!

Online thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2018, 09:11:18 pm »
A SECR 6 wheel brake has just left the paint shop. 3D print from Recreation21 on Shapeways. Just need to sort the couplings.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:58 pm »
I just stuck a Peco Elsie on one end of mine (not particularly visible here, unfortunately):

Online JohnBS

• N Gauge Society Number: 17148
  • 2mm Association Number: 1577
  • 2mm scale, N-gauge, GWR 1900-40, Totnes, Ashburton
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2018, 01:03:01 pm »
Gareth,
I am very impressed by your high quality modelling and, in particular, the beautiful realisation of the Wainwright livery. Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Great Western modeller, I consider the Wainwright D-class the epitome of locomotive elegance.
I look forward to more postings.
Best wishes,
John
For more information see my blog: http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations