How many locos do you own?

Started by petejones, August 02, 2018, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow

QuoteI was advised by my house insurance NOT to declare as a collection (that would mean if one item is stolen it reduces the value of the remaining (think pairs of vases etc.) 

Bumping this as I have had exactly the opposite advice from my insurer - they deem model railways to be a Collection and unless the total value is declared any claims for the collection will be subject to a cap of only GBP1500 or so, no matter the amount you have insured.  If you have a valuable collection you need to read the PDS carefully!

Les1952

Quote from: longbow on April 02, 2020, 11:54:41 PM
QuoteI was advised by my house insurance NOT to declare as a collection (that would mean if one item is stolen it reduces the value of the remaining (think pairs of vases etc.) 

Bumping this as I have had exactly the opposite advice from my insurer - they deem model railways to be a Collection and unless the total value is declared any claims for the collection will be subject to a cap of only GBP1500 or so, no matter the amount you have insured.  If you have a valuable collection you need to read the PDS carefully!

My previous insurance included the model railway collection.  However the insurance company discontinued the scheme as it was arranged through my teaching union and there seems to have been some kind of falling out.  The replacements I could find wouldn't cover the railway except at an exhorbitant add-on price.  I now have the layouts, stock and shed insured separately with Magnet, and am paying less in total than I was before the change, for greater overall cover.

martyn

I checked with my insurers, and their advice was that the collection as a whole would come under contents, because no one article exceeded a value of, I think, £250.

It is therefore probably best to check with your insurer and follow their advice, and change if necessary.

I did a quick 'back of fag packet' valuation, at full current RRP, not what was paid at the time,  of my exhibition stock last week, and its now getting to be a frightening amount.

martyn

njee20

Certainly in the normal insurance definition model railways arent a collection - the value of the whole isn't degraded by the loss of any one piece, and they're not bound into a single item. Model railways are something you have lots of. Like cutlery, DVDs (maybe) or shoes.

A collection is conventionally something like a coin or stamp collection where it is essentially a single item comprising many individual parts.

But yes, definitely clarify with your insurers.

Portpatrick

I have far more than my layouts "need".  They are insured with Magnet as many go out to shows

Dickydcc

This has been a great thread... I hope I can get the boss woman to read it!

Currently:-
3 x DMU
4 x steam
5 x diesel (+ 1 non runner)

All DCC fitted with 3 x sound fitted
1 on order

So looking that the average on here is about 40, I "need" another 26  :laugh3:

SGregory

As of today - I have 63 locos/units, mostly diesels, a small number of steam, a small number of AC electrics and a number of multiple units (both types).  That number also includes the Dapol 58 I bought today :)

alwood

Already managed to purchase 4 diesels after coming back to this hobby late in December 2019, despite still not having a layout as such to run them on.  It's still in the making...

Got an ever growing wish list too....

Newportnobby

Still on pre order:-

Farish 8F (372-162)
Farish Warship in plain green (371-606)
RevolutioN 56xx x 2
Dapol BoB pacific
Dapol/Cheltenham MRC class 52 golden ochre
Dapol/Gaugemaster class 73

and am waiting to place orders for 2 RevolutioN class 128s when the order book is opened.

Leon

I honestly don't know, but it's under fifteen - all steam. At my age, considering a purchase is more about future disposition than cost (though that isn't something to take lightly). It's hard for me to get my head around how little my modelling investment will be worth to my family when I die. Despite the lofty prices we see for pre-owned models, disposal isn't an easy proposition - particularly when you want to move an entire layout and collection of rolling stock.
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

guest311

I refuse to answer this question without my lawyer present  :-[

dannyboy

I refuse to answer this question because Louisa is present.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Snowwolflair

Bob Tidbury

Every year my mate John comes down for a week and we allways say this time we are going to catalogue my stock ,but then we have a running session and then another and we were going to do it this year ,but now due to cicumstancess beyond our control it will have to be next year now.
So after selling a lot of my  modern locos and then buying one or two steam locos I am now in the position that I HAVNT GOT A CLUE WHAT IVE GOT other than its a lot but only half of what I want ,Some more WILL  have to go as they are stuck in a cupboard and hardly ever used but then when I do get into the cupboard  I end up running something and telling myself that I like this so no I wont sell it .
Next year when John comes we will disconnect the power to the shed so we cant run trains and finally get  the  stock list done ,other wise Val wont have a clue what its worth when I pop  my clogs ,and she will
be ripped off like many of my late friends have been .Hopefully when that happens someone on this `Forum will make sure that doesnt happen to her .
Bob Tidbury

guest311

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 03, 2020, 08:22:59 PM
Every year my mate John comes down for a week and we allways say this time we are going to catalogue my stock ,but then we have a running session and then another and we were going to do it this year ,but now due to cicumstancess beyond our control it will have to be next year now.
So after selling a lot of my  modern locos and then buying one or two steam locos I am now in the position that I HAVNT GOT A CLUE WHAT IVE GOT other than its a lot but only half of what I want ,Some more WILL  have to go as they are stuck in a cupboard and hardly ever used but then when I do get into the cupboard  I end up running something and telling myself that I like this so no I wont sell it .
Next year when John comes we will disconnect the power to the shed so we cant run trains and finally get  the  stock list done ,other wise Val wont have a clue what its worth when I pop  my clogs ,and she will
be ripped off like many of my late friends have been .Hopefully when that happens someone on this `Forum will make sure that doesnt happen to her .
Bob Tidbury

a good plan  :thumbsup:

as long as you stick to it  :hmmm:

I don't have that much willpower  :-[

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations