Automotive spray paint alternative

Started by ModN Dom, October 07, 2016, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModN Dom

Does anyone know the best colour to use for BR locomotives now that VW Pargas Blue is no longer available?  ???

daffy

A quick web search brought up an eBay seller stocking a base coat that needs a laquer finish, though it is listed at a tad under £20. Perhaps someone else here has experience of its quality.

I also found a company that will manufacture VW paint to original spec in various sizes and types - spray or touch up - but again I suspect the price will be high - http://www.vinnybyrne.com/catalog/product/view/id/11917/s/volkswagen-custom-matched-aerosol-spray-400ml/?gclid=CPfcx-7YyM8CFdYK0wodVt4Aow
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Karhedron

I would go to Halfords and take an item of rolling stock in BR Blue. Don't bother trying to match with the cans on the shelves as the labels on the lids are only approximate. Instead, go to the counter as they have swatches of loads of different shades. Work through until you find the best match and then ask them to mix up a can for you.

It costs about twice as much as for one of the standard shades but that will still be quite a bit cheaper than the £20 allegedly being quoted above. ;)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bob G

I ended up buying some RAL 5020 Satin Acrylic from cjaerosols.com - two aerosols seemed to be the most cost effective option.

Nice colour though. Has to be couriered. Post Office wont touch flammables any more.

Bob

geoffc

In the past I have used an automotive paint supplier. They will make up the colour in a rattle can, they will have all the colour swatches to hand to get the closest colour. You will need to get a clear lacquer as modern car paints need a clear coat to get a shine. If you are spraying on plastic you will need a plastic primer as well, make sure all the paint and materials are compatable.  From experience in the car refinishing business I am sure there are several shades of BR Blue, you may be able to get a can off the shelf in a car accessory shop which is close enough and will be cheaper. Walk around a large car park and see if there is a car in the colour you need and make a note of make, model and year, this will give you a guide to what colour it is.

Geoff

Bealman

I'm not worried too much.... green man  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

Green men use rover brooklands green I think

Karhedron

Quote from: Bob G on October 08, 2016, 12:51:43 PM
Green men use rover brooklands green I think

Yup, and it looks like this. :)

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ModN Dom

Hi Karhedron, Great plan for Halfords. Thanks. thankyousign:

JasonBz

If a paint place will mix it to the code number, then that number is BS381C-114 for Rail Blue :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations