Flex track

Started by Bryan Thatcher, September 22, 2017, 03:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Thatcher

Does anyone primarily use flex track for their layout? I'm shopping and this seems like a good rout to go. Thoughts? Thanks.

Webbo

I use nothing but flex track on my layout and I'm 100% happy with it. Making smooth joins between track sections on curves of small radius can be tricky so probably best to solder such joins. 

My track is code 55 Peco, but over there in the US I would think that you would have easier access to Atlas track (either code 55 or code 80) as well as MicroEngineering track.

Webbo

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Bryan, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

You will find that probably the majority of modellers on this forum use flexible track, although Kato Unitrack has it's adherents, as do the various Setrack systems.

The British firm, Peco, produces a large range of flexible track in many gauges. In N, the track comes in Code 80 and Code 55 flavours, both with a large range of pointwork (turnouts). Code 55 has a more scale appearance, and a greater range of components.

I believe Atlas do a flexible track range in the US.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

simontk

A question regarding Kato flexitrack.
As I am having difficulty in joining my Peco track, using track joiners. I am thinking of using Kato track. As they all come pre ballasted AND with track joiners fitted. But as I have had to use 3 different pieces of flexitrack, my question is :-
Do I have to use standard track joiners ?
AND as I am running a DCC layout, what if I don't join the track and simply put drop wires to the track on either side of the join ? As it is easier for me to solder than use track joiners.

dannyboy

Kato do not make flexitrack as such, although it is easy to create a flexible piece - just cut through the plastic, with a fine saw, from underneath, stopping when you get to the rail. Fifer Hobbies, (www.fiferhobby.com) show how to do this. Although I have not tried it, I believe it is possible to connect Kato and Peco track by removing the joiner from the Kato piece and then using a standard joiner to connect the two - someone will be along who can say for certain. As regards not joining the track and using droppers on either side of the join - should work. My layout is split into sections using insulated Kato joiners, with droppers either side - it is the same principle.

Link for making Kato flexitrack -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXLdEv_dqY
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

simontk

"Kato do not make flexitrack"

Thanks for the info.
Someone needs to tell the designers of "SCARM" software !

BoxTunnel

Quote from: dannyboy on September 22, 2017, 06:04:48 AM
Kato do not make flexitrack as such

Erm, this worries me as I have some on my SCARM design.

Rails of Sheffield seem to sell it https://www.railsofsheffield.com/kato-21-000-flexible-track-808mm-JJJA13706

Is this not flexi track?

"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Newportnobby

21-000 is actually standard Atlas N flexitrack and has no track bed like the 'normal' Kato Unitrack.

njee20

Yes, a bit naughty to be calling that Unitrack, it won't match the 'normal' stuff aesthetically at all. I've heard of people 'slitting' the base to enable a bit of flex, but AFAIK there is no true Unitrack flexible track out of the box.

If you're using Peco/Atlas flex track you don't need joiners at all if you can ensure alignment (dont underestimate that!). There's a great looking layout developing on RMWeb - Crofton (IIRC) which uses no joiners. Obviously with Kato they're integrated.

Bryan Thatcher

Thanks everyone for your reply. I have been planning to use code 55 track because of the large number of radius options. There is something I like about planing a track that conforms to these spicific constraints. Change is good. Thank you.

njee20

Yep, only thing to be aware is that Peco code 55 (if you're modelling UK) is not actually code 55, it's code 80 with the rail embedded in the sleepers. Atlas code 55 (which is more common in the US, and is to US design) is actually 0.055" section rail, so the two don't join that easily, and you'll need to ensure all your stock has finer flanges for Atlas stuff.

Webbo

Bryan

Atlas code 55 has a sleeper spacing and turnout design that is closer to North American prototype than has Peco. Conversely, Peco is more robust than Atlas and has spring loaded turnouts. Both Peco and Atlas have a similar range of turnout configurations so they are fairly equivalent in that regard. I have a North American layout and use Peco 55. When I designed my track layout, Atlas had a much more limited turnout choice than they do now.  If I were to put my layout together nowadays, I think it would be a 50:50 toss-up between Peco and Atlas.

Webbo

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RMurphy195

Quote from: njee20 on September 22, 2017, 10:16:11 AM
Yep, only thing to be aware is that Peco code 55 (if you're modelling UK) is not actually code 55, it's code 80 with the rail embedded in the sleepers. Atlas code 55 (which is more common in the US, and is to US design) is actually 0.055" section rail, so the two don't join that easily, and you'll need to ensure all your stock has finer flanges for Atlas stuff.

Does this mean that,in regards to Peco Code 55/Code 80

1) They are compatible i.e can join them together, and

2) If the rail is embedded in the sleepers, does this mean the code 55 is more robust when you ift it? I've found that lifting glued-down code 80, even if you are very careful, can result in the track separating from the sleepers and I can't get it back into place!

dannyboy

I read the reply (#6) from @BoxTunnel  about flexitrack and thought "Oops - things have changed since I last bought some Unitrack, or am I going gaga?" and then read the reply from @newportnobby - thanks for clarifying that Mick and saving my sanity.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations