Hattons rail head treatment Train.

Started by jacowin80, November 23, 2017, 11:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacowin80

Hattons have recently announced a rail head treatment Train in oo. I have commented on posts on Instagram and on the hattons Web page:
http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=209

saying I would like to see this in N. I am hoping if enough people can comment or show they would be intrested it could be something they look into for a later date. Comments please. James.

Railwaygun

Quote from: jacowin80 on November 23, 2017, 11:28:06 PM
Hattons have recently announced a rail head treatment Train in OO. I have commented on posts on Instagram and on there Web page

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=rail%20treatment

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=209

saying I would like to see this in N. I am hoping if enough people can comment or show they would be intrested it could be something they look into for a later date. Comments please. James.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

RailGooner

:hmmm: Not sure if I'd support this or not. If I really wanted one, I could have one now via 3D print.

I think I'd peg it at the very bottom of my wish list. And considering the cost, I can't see it ever being promoted up my list.

bluedepot

it looks good and I think it will be popular

it's not the era I model though anyway

Tim

njee20

I'm continually tempted by one of the 3D printed ones from Russell, but the modules aren't that cheap, even less so once you add in Mark's excellent FEA base wagon (as I don't really want to sacrifice my Dapol ones, which aren't even the correct variant), and it only actually runs for a couple of months of the year, and whilst I've not really thought it through I don't foresee having an autumn layout. That and I'm short on dummy locos to haul it, although I could just use a pair of 66s.

The Hattons offering looks good, but is expensive, I'm not honestly sure if I'd buy one if they scaled it down anyway. I'd sooner have a RTR MPV, again I know there's a 3D printed one I ought to get around to sometime!

Can't help but think the single FEA is a slightly strange choice too (although I get it goes hand in hand with the RHTT), I know the OO community is better served for intermodal wagons, but AFAIK no one does the FSA/FTA wagons, nor the EWS variant of the IKA, the TOPS code of which eludes me currently. Whilst Dapol do do the FEA-B in both Freightliner and GBRF.

Steven B

Projects like these, together with other specials from the likes of Hattons, Kernow and Model Rail are great if you're a OO Gauge modeller, but I wonder if they're actually quite harming for non-4mm scale modellers.

With models such as the Y1 Sentinel, J74 (Toby), warwells etc being made by companies with little interest in N Gauge I'd guess that the chances of ever getting them in 1:148 have fallen significantly.

Steven B.

njee20

Not sure about that. You could argue that everything Hornby make is damaging to non-OO modellers, insofar as it's not going to get scaled down, and it largely guarantees that Bachmann/Dapol won't pick it up.

Conversely look at Revolution - they're managing to pick up the scraps (not meant in a derogatory way at all, they've had far too many of my English pounds!) on models that are available in other scales and unlikely to be downsized.

jacowin80

The 3D printed model does look very good and maybe something that I would look into buying.  The thing that worries me about the 3D models is that I don't have the skills or the time to complete the model, all my modelling time is either spent working on the layout or running trains.  Also a bit worried about spending that much money on a 3D model and then ending up making a massive mistake.  Is there anyone who makes these kind of things up and sells them?  Many thanks, James.

guest311

speaking personally, I have given up on 3D printed items.
I've bought a few items, mainly containers etc, and found that the surface finish was awful, tried rubbing down, filler primers, and various other ideas, but ended up giving up.
if it was produced in N and as an injection plastic item I'd be interested, but I'm afraid that as soon as I see "3D" printed, I just switch off.
all praise to those who manage to do something with these and produce a decent model, but I'm afraid it's not for me.

njee20

It does depend on the material, IMO FUD can be made to look more than good enough with very little effort. WSF does need quite a lot of work and always retains a slightly grainy finish which would put me off most models with any sort of significant relief or surface detail.

jacowin80

Quote from: class37025 on November 26, 2017, 09:09:35 PM
speaking personally, I have given up on 3D printed items.
I've bought a few items, mainly containers etc, and found that the surface finish was awful, tried rubbing down, filler primers, and various other ideas, but ended up giving up.
if it was produced in N and as an injection plastic item I'd be interested, but I'm afraid that as soon as I see "3D" printed, I just switch off.
all praise to those who manage to do something with these and produce a decent model, but I'm afraid it's not for me.

having read about the 3D printed items it just seems like a lot of work to me.  I know that I would never be be able to produce an item that would be as good as the RTR.

Buzzard

Quote from: jacowin80 on November 26, 2017, 08:43:14 PMThe thing that worries me about the 3D models is that I don't have the skills or the time to complete the model

For a first 3D project I agree that an RHTT would be a massive challenge.

I've reached the transfer stage and boy don't the modules have a lot of lettering on them.  And then there's all the OHLE warnings that are plastered everywhere.

Quote from: jacowin80 on November 26, 2017, 08:43:14 PMIs there anyone who makes these kind of things up and sells them?

Unlikely as it's not as simple as slapping a coat of paint on. 

I asked RussellH about the possibility of an rtr MPV and was advised to have a go myself.  One day perhaps when I'm better at painting.

Quote from: jacowin80 on November 26, 2017, 09:26:08 PMI know that I would never be be able to produce an item that would be as good as the RTR.

I know that my RHTT when complete won't win any prizes but at least I'll have the satisfaction of finishing it and as long as it's viewed from a distance........

It's a bit like the shipping containers I've already built.  Not a patch on the rtr ones available from RevolutioN but how often do you see pristine containers?

Jerry Howlett

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations